Alaska cruise in 2011

glassslipper2004

DIS Veteran
Disney has just announced (at least, I just heard of it) that they will be doing cruises to Alaska in 2011. I was thinking of switching back to cruise vacations since they are much more affordable than ABD, but wasn't sure about the itineraries. I think the Alaska cruise is definitely something we might consider, although I know you get a lot less time on shore than on an Alaska land trip, the ease and pleasantness of a cruise (I love cruises) and price might balance it out.

Apparently they will also continue Med cruises that summer as well. Having done Viva Italia I'm not sure if the Med itinerary gives us enough different things to do (when we go back to Europe I want more time in the cities, too) but again, food for thought.

We are likely going to book the Alaska cruise--and maybe some day yet the ABD Alaska trip. We are on the West Coast so at least the flight to Vancouver won't be bad--same time zone too! We combined the Italy ABD with the Disney med cruise in 2007--made for a very long trip, but with very little overlap (really, only Rome--and we had done so much of Rome on our own and with ABD that we skipped that excursion on the cruise and went off to a small village by train and bus (now THAT was an adventure!). The med cruise and the additions to the ports for 2011 sound great!

We wondered in 2007, and again now with this announcement, if there would be an attempt to match up ABD and Disney cruise trips--but really, I doubt too many would want to try to do that. (Expense and time--and wear and tear!). Of course, the Alaska cruise is 7 days and the ABD is, I think, 7--so you could do a two week emersion into Alaska...

Combining Viva Italia with the Med cruise sounds fantastic! I'm hoping that ABD comes up with some more/different trips for next summer, as I'm not in love with any at the moment - which is another reason I've been thinking about cruises. And you are right - a two week cruise/ABD trip to Alaska would be pretty neat!

If you listen to the announcement ABD was mentioned and that DCL and ABD were working together to come up with some joint ventures and annoucements would be made shortly, so I think something is in the works.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter