Alaska/Denali question

Sorsha

<font color=royalblue>People, don't be like the ch
Can you tell me more about the wolf-tracking hike in Denali? It sounds like SUCH fun, but I have knee problems. :(

Is it very steep/strenuous? Nice, even trail, or rough/rocky? Were there any people with any physical issues, or perhaps those like me, who are Pooh-sized, and were they able to hike OK? Is there an alternate option if you cannot manage the hike?

In looking over the itinerary, this seems to be the only part of the trip where my knee would give me troubles. Are there any other strenuous parts I am not seeing?

Can you tell me more about the wolf-tracking hike in Denali? It sounds like SUCH fun, but I have knee problems. :(

Is it very steep/strenuous? Nice, even trail, or rough/rocky? Were there any people with any physical issues, or perhaps those like me, who are Pooh-sized, and were they able to hike OK? Is there an alternate option if you cannot manage the hike?

In looking over the itinerary, this seems to be the only part of the trip where my knee would give me troubles. Are there any other strenuous parts I am not seeing?

It's a fairly smooth trail, but there are a few spots where there is a bit of a slope. There were some people on our hike who were out of breath and looked a little overheated. But if I compare it to the hilly park trails here at home that are classified as moderate, the Denali trail we definitely an easy. I would just get the opinions of your guides. I'm not sure what alternate activity they would suggest, but I'm sure they could come up with something. Some of the folks on our trip went back to the lodge for the tundra tour while we were tracking wolves. They had to book that on their own though and there was an extra charge. BTW...we didn't find any wolves.

This is a very easy trail, and not too long, and they will go at a slower pace if you need them to. There is some incline, but again, they'll take it slow. We had an older woman and a person with an arthritic knee do it, and they managed fine. You of course know better what you can and can't do, and the guides can help work with you. There is a Visitor Center there that you could hang out in while the others do the hike, or you could go part way to hear some of the wolf tracking talk, and then not go to the top of the hilll. I was told that they have done this trip with a wheelchair bound person, so they are prepared to handle a wide range of physical abilities.
On one day, an optional walk to Portage Glacier is offered. No slope at all there, and if you don't want to climb on the snow, there is an area at the base where you can sit. It is about a 20 MIN walk each way - maybe 1/2 mile or so. I think you'd really enjoy going, even if you don't get up on the snow. It's a pretty spot.
We thought we might have heard the signal from a tracked wolf, but it wasn't a very strong signal.

On one day, an optional walk to Portage Glacier is offered. No slope at all there, and if you don't want to climb on the snow, there is an area at the base where you can sit. It is about a 20 mile walk each way - maybe 1/2 mile or so. I think you'd really enjoy going, even if you don't get up on the snow. It's a pretty spot.
We thought we might have heard the signal from a tracked wolf, but it wasn't a very strong signal.
I sure hope you mean 20 minutes! No way I'm doing a 20 mile walk!!!! :eek:

Sayhello

I wouldn't want to miss out; so, I would try with an aid of some kind to manage and go for it if you don't have any other health issues.

Thanks everyone, for your replies!

We are still in the very early planning stages for this trip, but its good to know that it would be do-able! :thumbsup2

This is my husband's dream trip - I'm hoping to surprise him with it in 2011. Hope you all have a fantastic time!

We had one elderly couple on the trip who decided not to do the Denali hike. One of the guides stayed with them, and they explored the Visitor's center, saw some movies & a lecture, and seemed to thoroughly enjoy themselves. The guides will always work with you to come up with alternate activities.

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter