Alaska last minute booking

Pixarfans

Mouseketeer
Debating on booking Alaska 8 weeks out. What are the downfalls? I’m guessing limited excursions? We don’t have our heart set on any but maybe seeing sled dogs. (Would be 8th DCL cruise, all ships but first Alaska)

Debating on booking Alaska 8 weeks out. What are the downfalls? I’m guessing limited excursions? We don’t have our heart set on any but maybe seeing sled dogs. (Would be 8th DCL cruise, all ships but first Alaska)
You may not get the dining time you want.

Regarding the limited excursions, Alaska is extremely easy to do on your own. You don't need to use DCL's excursions. Just look to see what they have, then Google and book through companies on your own.

Look at Alaska Shore Excursions or Temsco for the helicopter/dogsledding and other excursions.

Look at Alaska Shore Excursions or Temsco for the helicopter/dogsledding and other excursions.
Thanks! I just started researching and am realizing we are not a family that will do many of the most wanted excursions. I’m hoping there may be a less adventurous dog option.

What is airfare going to cost? That would be my worry. Sometimes fares can be great booking closer to travel, sometimes not. And it may not even apply! If you go, have a great trip!

Thanks! I just started researching and am realizing we are not a family that will do many of the most wanted excursions. I’m hoping there may be a less adventurous dog option.
Other than the helicopter, the dogsledding was really fun and easy. You sit there, or let children “drive”, and just go around the perimeter of the camp. It wasn’t fast or dangerous. If you fall, it’s just like falling in the snow. You are at ground level.

We booked dogsledding independently in Skagway in 2017 (we will not get on a float plane or helicopter). We had a wonderful time and would do it again. It was the dog sled and musher’s camp with Alaska Excursions (but looking online they may have changed their name).

If you are more interested in the dogs and less in the helicopter/glacier part, there are "summer" dog camps in both Juneau and Skagway. Some you can just see/meet the dogs and maybe see a demo of them pulling a cart. Others you can ride in the cart. Our helicopter excursion was cancelled a few weeks ago and we were able to book a same day summer musher camp experience in Juneau directly through Disney.

I’ve done two AK cruises booked within that time frame. They were just as much fun as the ones planned farther ahead. Just not as much time to anticipate. (This was not the travel heyday of current times, though; 2012 and 2013).

If the Skagway and Juneau options for dogs doesn’t work out, check the Carcross area of Yukon - via rental car.

On a cursory internet look, I found Wild Adventure Yukon in Carcross that has reservations through September.

We did the drive out of Skagway all the way to Whitehorse, seeing a desert and a beautiful Emerald Lake.

Hope it works out for you.

Mid August
In Juneau one dog camp on the glacier ends 8/13, I think the camp temsco works with stays until early Sept. The dog camps are independent businesses from the helicopter companies even thought you book all through the helicopter companies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter