Alcohol ID

I flat out refuse to carry about a passport on holiday, its a ridiculous expectation IMO. I always have my drivers licence in my wallet and if ever asked, I have shown that. To be fair it has always been accepted. That's not to say at some point I might be refused.

I'm of the opinion it would have to be a pretty stupid server to refuse you ( in cases where you are clearly over 21) as it just eats in to their tip.

Like most things, you hope/expect common sense to be applied.

I get where you are coming from but the reason that they are so hot on this is because unlike here in the UK where it's the bar or restaurant that gets in trouble if they serve alcohol to someone who is underage, in the States it's the person who serves the alcohol who can end up with a criminal record.
I used to visit Los Angeles a lot when I was in my twenties & the bars & restaurants that I used to go checked everyone's ID no matter how old you looked.
We were in New York a few years ago with friends & never got asked for ID apart from one bar, as usual we had our passports with us but our friends didn't, they just hadn't thought it would be an issue.
All of us were over 40 & none of us looked anywhere close to 21 but the door man would not budge, it was a case of "no ID no entry".

I get where you are coming from but the reason that they are so hot on this is because unlike here in the UK where it's the bar or restaurant that gets in trouble if they serve alcohol to someone who is underage, in the States it's the person who serves the alcohol who can end up with a criminal record.
I used to visit Los Angeles a lot when I was in my twenties & the bars & restaurants that I used to go checked everyone's ID no matter how old you looked.
We were in New York a few years ago with friends & never got asked for ID apart from one bar, as usual we had our passports with us but our friends didn't, they just hadn't thought it would be an issue.
All of us were over 40 & none of us looked anywhere close to 21 but the door man would not budge, it was a case of "no ID no entry".
Exactly. In the US, it's the server who is risking a fine, their liquor license, and possible jail time, so they get the final say.

There are some states that require everyone, regardless of age, to show ID before purchasing alcohol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter