All about the Autotrain

I have never heard of the museum of the US Army! We always end up at the (has been awful on 4 visits) IHOP for lunch because that is the only time hubby Kent gets to eat there.
The museum is in Fort Belvoir, just one exit north of the station on 95. It opened right before Covid and then closed for a long time. We went last summer for the first time and my kids loved it. It is free but you need timed entry tickets that you can reserve online. There are a lot of paid upgrades you can add to your free ticket like 3d simulators, we haven't done any of those yet. I thought it would be a free way to kill some time before we had to be back at the station for departure but we wound up really enjoying it. We spent almost 2 hours in the children's exhibit and my kids were disappointed when we had to leave. We barely scratched the surface of what is in the museum so we are going again in August.

The museum is in Fort Belvoir, just one exit north of the station on 95. It opened right before Covid and then closed for a long time. We went last summer for the first time and my kids loved it. It is free but you need timed entry tickets that you can reserve online. There are a lot of paid upgrades you can add to your free ticket like 3d simulators, we haven't done any of those yet. I thought it would be a free way to kill some time before we had to be back at the station for departure but we wound up really enjoying it. We spent almost 2 hours in the children's exhibit and my kids were disappointed when we had to leave. We barely scratched the surface of what is in the museum so we are going again in August.
Thank you! I have an age gap with my hubby and he was among the last to be drafted into the army . It might keep him out of the iHop!

is it possible to walk from the Lorton train station to nearby restaurants, like there are sidewalks? Google shows the walk being about 1/2 mile which is fine for us, even with carry ons but I want to be safe walking. I want to check in on the earlier side for seating purposes but not be trapped at the station for hours. Are there signs that point out the parking area to park at and check in then keep your car to go somewhere?

is it possible to walk from the Lorton train station to nearby restaurants, like there are sidewalks? Google shows the walk being about 1/2 mile which is fine for us, even with carry ons but I want to be safe walking. I want to check in on the earlier side for seating purposes but not be trapped at the station for hours. Are there signs that point out the parking area to park at and check in then keep your car to go somewhere?
When you get to the kiosk, which is the first thing you get to, they will check your reservation. Tell the person that you want to check in, and keep your car. They will then send you to a small parking area on the left. You can go inside and check in, get your seat assignment, and then go back out. It is not very walkable, in my opinion. You will wait in the car line again when you return, and tell the guard you have already checked in. We still leave plenty of time on return, as the seats fill up quickly. There is a small shop with some cold sandwiches and other food items , souvenirs at the train station.

Thank you. That seems easy enough to keep the car for an hour or so after officially checking in. We'll plan to get there at the beginning of check in time and then go eat lunch. I'm planning to pack subs/hoagies for dinner and lots of snacks, but I think we will want a hot meal for lunch. I don't have a preference for which car or specific seats we're in. I just want to make sure we all sit together because I can't imagine it would be easy to get any kind of sleep sitting beside a stranger.

Do you know if breakfast still included for coach seats? I think it said that on our tickets, but I thought I'd check with people who have had experience riding the AT recently. I can bring that if needed.

When you get to the kiosk, which is the first thing you get to, they will check your reservation. Tell the person that you want to check in, and keep your car. They will then send you to a small parking area on the left. You can go inside and check in, get your seat assignment, and then go back out. It is not very walkable, in my opinion. You will wait in the car line again when you return, and tell the guard you have already checked in. We still leave plenty of time on return, as the seats fill up quickly. There is a small shop with some cold sandwiches and other food items , souvenirs at the train station.
I know at some point one of the nearby towns ran a shuttle from Lorton but I don't know if that was discontinued or not.

Can any recent auto train coach travelers tell me what is available for breakfast? I have a couple food restrictions and need to know if I should bring my own breakfast food.

Can any recent auto train coach travelers tell me what is available for breakfast? I have a couple food restrictions and need to know if I should bring my own breakfast food.
We haven't taken the train since last year, but based on recent pics I have seen on amtrak fb groups the breakfast menu hasn't changed. They offer individual boxed cereal (usually Kellog's), coffee cake, bananas, hard boiled eggs, milk and OJ. There have been times when they ran out of certain items so I would recommend going earlier rather than later to pick up breakfast. Everyone on the auto train (coach and those with booked rooms) receive the same breakfast.

This was the same last week (what gb mom said) but with the option of a hot breakfast sandwich as well. We were taking our stuff back to our room and an attendant (our dining car server from dinner the night before) asked if we wanted one. They weren’t sitting out they were in a warming drawer.

We just got back from our roundtrip auto train journey a few days ago. This was our first time in coach. We've travelled the auto train 10+ times with our 3 kids (now 15, 12 & 9) but this trip we took 3 extra 15 year olds as part of DD15's birthday present. We took advantage of the $19 sale that was offered for coach both north and southbound. Both trains were 100% full.

We checked in at 12:30, parked at the station and got our seat assignments. We then headed over to the Museum of the US Army a few minutes down the road. The kids really liked the interactive exhibits.

20230816_140400.jpg

20230816_140900.jpg

We left the museum around 2. We mobile ordered sandwiches from the Jersey Mike's across the street from the station around 9am to be picked up at 2:15. We have done this before as we always bring food on board for DD12 as she has an intolerance to gluten and dairy (they cause eczema flareups) and we want to make sure she has something she can eat. This will be the last time we order from that location. The sandwiches were not ready at 2:15. At 2:30 they realized they had not labeled any of the sandwiches that they made for the order and they only had 6 even though we ordered 8. They had to unwrap all of the sandwiches and go through them to see which ones they had already made. By 2:50 they somehow still only had 7 sandwiches made and we had to go because we were afraid we would miss the 3pm cutoff. When we arrived at the station, we realized they only put 6 sandwiches in the bags and of course, DD's gluten and dairy free sandwich (which DH watched them make) did not make it into the bag. I called the next morning and got refunded for the order. This is the 2nd time this location messed up an order and we will not give them a 3rd opportunity to do so.

We bought replacement sandwiches in the shop at the station for $12 each (DD had lunchmeat from the inside of the sandwich and some snacks we brought for dinner) and we started boarding at 3:30pm.

We arrived around 9:15am, got off the train around 9:45 and with priority offloading we were on our way by 10:30.

For the northbound trip, we arrived around 9:30, and were in the station shortly after. They started calling priority around 10:15. We did not pay for priority this time but we only had to wait until about 11 to have our car called which wasn't too bad.

The only issue we had on the train (both north and southbound) was that our seat trays were dirty- there were crumbs and remnants from breakfast on most of our trays. One of the attendants sprayed and wiped them down for us.

We were upper level southbound and lower level northbound. We all agreed we preferred the experience on the upper level, even though with our group of 8 we only had 4 additional people with us on the lower level. On the upper level you do have more people traveling through the car in the middle of the night which is a drawback. We were seated away from any doors in the upper level so the noise from doors wasn't an issue. In the lower level, every time someone got up to use the restroom the door slammed open and close. We also had several people (maybe 4 or 5?) who were not seated in our car come in during the night. They were all elderly and I think they were confused about where their seat was after they used the restroom but it was additional opening and closing of the door. They would come in and stand in the middle of the car, staring at us. I hope it was people who were lost, otherwise there are a lot of middle-of-the-night creepers on the train. In the upper level, the lights are dimmed at night. In the lower level the lights are dimmed as well but there are bright lights just outside the door for the restrooms that bothered some of us. The noise from the tracks is also way louder on the lower level.

The bathrooms were all well maintained during both trips. We did have an issue when we were getting ready for bed. There's no lock on the 'lounge', the small area with 2 sinks and stools near the restrooms. I was in there with DS9 and DD12 brushing our teeth and another family opened the door and came in. They seemed annoyed that 3 people were using both sinks and asked if there was room for them to join us. The idea of me and my 2 kids crowded around 1 small sink brushing our teeth on a moving train meant someone was going to accidentally spit toothpaste on someone else lol. That didn't sound like a fun way to start the evening so I told the other family we would be finished in a few minutes and they weren't happy.

For breakfast on both trips we had complimentary coffee cake, cereal, juice and bananas. The hot breakfast sandwiches had to be purchased separately. There also was no milk available for the cereal. While I enjoy the coffee cake on each trip, I have to wonder why they chose quite possibly the messiest breakfast food for people to eat at their seats. The crumbs from the coffee cake goes everywhere, no matter how hard you try to be neat about eating it.

For $19 per person I might travel coach again, especially if bringing additional people. However, we are usually able to pay for roundtrip roomettes and bedrooms with Amtrak points earned from our credit card so I don't think we'll do coach very often in the future.

We just got back from our roundtrip auto train journey a few days ago …
So helpful. We keep wondering how we would do in coach. But as seniors, it sounds as though we will continue to have a room. We did try a roomette, getting into the upper bunk and then getting changed in the morning, well, let’s just say we would have won America’s Funniest Home Videos. Hands down.

We're back on the AT SB on 8 Jan with a return NB on 31 Jan. We're in a bedroom again like we have been for at least the last 4 rt's. We're using AT MasterCard Reward points. We paid for priority offloading on each end after using it on our last trip last Nov and loving it. We did coach for our first couple of trips back in 2005 and 2006. After that we moved to roomettes for several trips before finally going to a bedroom. Having our own bathroom and space makes it worthwhile.

There is a great sale on the auto train right now. We were able to modify our southbound booking in June- we originally booked 3 roomettes with points. We were able to modify it to a bedroom and 2 roomettes and got about 1500 points credited back to our account. So glad to have a bedroom as that's my preference. Our kids are old enough now that we need 3 rooms. Hoping for a sale that works with our northbound trip, as of right now we have 3 roomettes booked but would love to switch one of those to a bedroom.

We rode the auto train south on Monday and got into Sanford yesterday about 1045. Ride was typical. We had crew #1 which we weren't really impressed with. Our car attendant lost track of time and didn't show up to set up our bed until 945 even though we had requested 9 and he said no problem. We were in a bedroom again. The crew was busy hanging out in the lounge car which they shouldn't have been as the train was completely sold out. We've had much better crews. The dining staff wasn't bad, but they weren't great either. Food was pretty good. New breakfast souffle was just okay. Flavor was fine but the texture was weird like it had a thickener in it. We were priority and our we were in our car and in Port Canaveral by 1230.

We rode the auto train south on Monday and got into Sanford yesterday about 1045. Ride was typical. We had crew #1 which we weren't really impressed with. Our car attendant lost track of time and didn't show up to set up our bed until 945 even though we had requested 9 and he said no problem. We were in a bedroom again. The crew was busy hanging out in the lounge car which they shouldn't have been as the train was completely sold out. We've had much better crews. The dining staff wasn't bad, but they weren't great either. Food was pretty good. New breakfast souffle was just okay. Flavor was fine but the texture was weird like it had a thickener in it. We were priority and our we were in our car and in Port Canaveral by 1230.

In reading your post, I was glad to note that it wasn't just me. We took the train back to Lorton on New Year's Day. It was packed, I couldn't tell if it was sold out because in our bedroom suite, we could not hear any announcements until hours into the trip. Our attendant wasn't impressive as well and I have always felt that the attendants are great. When we asked her to take down one of the bottom beds, she appeared confused and then told us, "Ok, you can take it down". Never put cups out when I asked where could I get them from and water was left on the floor on the bottom level of the train. When she made up the beds in the morning, she complained that she was never going to be able to finish all of the work. Mind you, after the cups, I did not bother her at all. Fast forward to leaving the train and she made an announcement, " Don't forget me when you leave?"

Dinner was fine, although they had run out of a few things and we did not bother with breakfast.

These reports are appreciated but concerning. I just booked my first trip for this August because flying stresses me out anymore. Being disabled, it’s always a hassle and I’ve had my equipment broken in the past. I figured getting a bedroom on the train should allow me to relax and not worry about someone mishandling my ECV. Hopefully more reports will be posted between now and August.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter