• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Allergy dining

babyruth

for the first time in forever
We are doing DLR and DCA Christmas week. I know everyone says QS is better out there. BUT we are managing 3 food allergies which can’t be easily mobile ordered. which leads me to believe that especially during peak crowds we should have at least one table service per park to make sure we get a decent meal in. Please forgive me but I’m not in love with the options! We already wanted to try Tianas Palace so another New Orleans themed meal doesn’t seem appealing. We also really don’t want to spend the signature dining prices. I’ve been spending a lot of time fretting over food options. With one day in each park where should we go and why? Gluten, peanut, shellfish.

Have you looked at the menu for counter service? They actually list foods that are safe for each of those allergies I believe.
In any event make sure you notify the allergy people know in advance when you make reservations. I have weird allergies and they both called and emailed me this weekend to discuss them.
If you have just the allergies listed they said you don't really need to do anything else as they are considered "common" and they all have options ready to go for those.

I just checked a few counter service spots. They all had gluten free food options, tree and peanut options and shellfish free options. They really make it pretty easy. Definitely check them out.

I know on the other coast they are pretty amazing with allergies,

We don't usually do QS, but on the table service side, they have a chef who will come to the table and make sure you get something safe.

My DD has celiac, and we have had no issues mobil ordering at QS places. If the allergy(s) are particularly severe, you can still line up at the register and request to speak to the chef when ordering. We have done this as well if she feels the options are limited. They are super accommodating and nice!
Just know, the food will take a bit longer to prepare. But it is very worth the time to avoid cross contamination.

For gluten allergies, the best place, hands down, is Cocina Cucamonga in DCA! Everything on the menu is GF as they only use corn tortillas. (actually it was until they added the new street corn. it has Spiced Wheat Chicharrones.)

We have manage a few allergies as well. I like having one planned sit down meal during busy times. During the holiday season, they have the food booths at DCA. They have a food guide that indicates the allergen. To be honest, for our allergies (TN, SS), was never comfortable with the booths. But you can read the guide before wasting your time in line (the lines are overwhelmingly long) . But overall, the top 9 allergens are manageable and listed at all restaurants. Since we don’t have the same allergens, I don’t have any specific recommendations.

I actually love to mobile order with my son’s tree nut allergy because they have a separate allergy section to order off of, and often will double confirm with you. Example: I ordered the tip yip chicken off the allergy menu at docking bay 7, and was pulled aside at the mobile order pick up to confirm the type of tree nut, as the kitchen also prepares the blue and green milk which use coconut, which for some reason is treated as a tree nut even though they aren’t the same allergen type. But I appreciated the extra effort!

To answer your direct question, for sit down we like plaza inn (not table service, but great fried chicken for those that eat gluten and decent other options for the gluten allergy), and blue bayou at DL (I wouldn’t say this was Cajun or creole themed either the exception of the gumbo, we usually get the filet.) At DCA we love lamplight but you may want to avoid because of potential cross contamination with those divine lobster nachos. We usually do Craftsman Grill at the Grand if wanting a table service at DCA. It’s really nice to check out the hotel as well - our fave place for a mid day break if not staying overnight.

We deal with gluten, dairy, apple, pork, turkey, tree nut, and many more. We are able to eat quick service by app. Have you looked in the app at the options? Go in like you’re ordering and you can see the options.

That said, we had a harder time last trip since covid with allergy items.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter