Alligator dragged 2 year old into 7 seas lagoon

Post.jpg
It's the trifecta of blame, packaged in the juciest manner possible, constructed entirely of rumour and hearsay...

1. Wealthy, spoiled idiots renting high end bungalows and feeding gators. It's always fun to hate rich people!

2. An evil mega-corporation whose only concern is profit, maliciously looking the other way, in order to cater to the aforementioned Wealthy, deliberately putting the lives of innocent children at risk.

3. A horrifying near-miss story, complete with the implication that Disney staff baldly said, "Those are resident pets, and we’ve known about them for years. And they’re harmless, they’re not going to attack anybody."

The only thing making this less than perfection, as far as stirring maximum outrage, is that the person recounting the "A gator almost ate my five year old!" story is himself a lawyer and his family stayed at the Coronado Springs. It would have been far better if he'd been a middle class, blue-collar dad, staying at one of the All Stars. But you can't have everything.

Sadly, despite having been founded by Alexander Hamilton, the New York Post under Rupert Murdoch has slipped to "least credible" media outlet, behind even FOX. "Among the most recognized media outlets, only THE POST earns a higher negative than positive rating on the credibility scale." http://appserv.pace.edu/emplibrary/pace_poll_061604.pdf

Though, I still do think it's better than the Daily Mail (a very, very low standard).

Nice using a 12 year old survey. I find the post to more hard hitting newspaper that will stomp on anyone and not fluff to the Left as most do. Funny one of the survey items stated what NY readers were interested in was NY Attorney General Spitzer aka Socks, targeting Wall Street. Hey and you have to love the NY Post headlines.

Unless you are exposed to something routinely, you never fully understand the dangers of it. You can read about it and study it all you want, but you'll never truly understand it with out exposure.

What happened is truly a tragic accident in which Disney nor the parents are at fault. But you'll never get people who are not familiar with gators to understand that.

Yes!
I remember one of the first visits to this forum when we were planning our first Disney vacation. And someone posted about guests cutting through the bushes in order to catch the shuttle to park, and the driver yelling at them "you don't want to walk through the bushes in Florida!" Honestly my rational mind knows there are a lot of critters in Florida, but that was the first time I thought "oh yeah, that does seem really dumb" otherwise I don't know if in the all the planning, taking care to not run into local wildlife would have even entered my mind.
I'm in rural upstate NY, at the foothills of the Adirondack mountains. Every March/Arpil I have to remember to take in my bird feeders. I'm sure there are some reading that and wondering why. It wouldn't cross your mind if you don't have to deal with it.
But I have no desire to meet a hungry mama bear with her cubs, thanks.

My heart just aches for the family. No one plans a vacation thinking the worst will happen.

What scares me....
Is that even if that little boy hadn't had his feet directly in the water, that gator could of probably snatched him while he was just walking along the beach area.. That's something I NEVER would expected...
I know they have plenty of those animals in Florida... but goodness, I always feel so safe in Disney's magical setting..
I almost think if alligators are coming that close to the shore and guests there shouldn't even be a lounging beach area..

Eh, either way.. this whole situation is just incredibly sad... what a horrible and tragic accident to have happen at the happiest place on earth.. :guilty:

Disney "police" are actually a security force with no arresting powers. They can detain and report crimes to the police, but they have no ability to arrest or charge individuals with a crime. They would be a detecting and reporting agency.

Orange County Sheriff calls their WDW only division "Sector VI".

http://www.ocso.com/operationalservices/uniformpatroldivision/tabid/63/default.aspx

I heard they have several stations on WDW property. I don't believe that uniformed patrols are common, but they probably have plain clothes deputies and uniformed deputies can respond quickly. I'd think they would be given access to any tunnels.

View attachment 175998

Nice using a 12 year old survey. I find the post to more hard hitting newspaper that will stomp on anyone and not fluff to the Left as most do. Funny one of the survey items stated what NY readers were interested in was NY Attorney General Spitzer aka Socks, targeting Wall Street. Hey and you have to love the NY Post headlines.

Okay, here's some more recent controversies, involving the Post:

• On December 4, 2012, the Post used a picture taken by a freelance photographer, R. Umar Abbasi, of a 58-year-old man identified as Ki Suk Han struggling to climb back up onto the platform of the 49th Street station as a subway train approached. The caption on the front read, "Pushed on the subway track, this man is about to die" on top, and "DOOMED" in large, boldface print on the bottom. The image caused outrage among many, as its use was viewed as exploiting a tragedy for commercial gain., though Abbasi stated that since he was not strong enough to pull the man up, he had attempted to use the flash on his camera to alert the driver of the oncoming train.[52]
  • Aspects of the Post's coverage of the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing were criticized. The Post reported in several stories on the day of the attack that the death toll was 12, while most organizations reported two and then three fatalities. In addition, they reported that a Saudi national was being held as a suspect, but Boston Police denied this and said they had no suspects in custody.[53] Additionally, the April 18 cover of the Post featured a full-page photo of two young men the paper described as being sought by law enforcement in possible connection with the attack. CBS News reporter John Miller reported that the two men are not considered suspects by the FBI. The apparent insinuation by the Post that they were suspects was denounced by media critics.[54] In June 2013, the two men, Salaheddin Barhoum and Yassine Zaimi, sued the Post for libel over the story.[55] In 2014, the suit was settled.[56][57]
  • On January 5, 2014, following the abduction and murder of Brooklyn businessman Menachem Stark,[58] the Post cover story featured a picture of the victim dressed in his traditional Hasidic garb accompanied by the headline asking "Who didn't want him dead?"[59] That front page sparked outrage for its insinuation that the murder was justified vigilantism.[60][61][62][63][64] On that same day, some New York City elected officials condemned the Post's cover story. In a press conference led by Brooklyn borough president Eric Adams,[65] New York City Public Advocate Letitia James declared, "Today [the New York Post has] given license to murder!" James then asked that "every government official should refrain from advertising in the New York Post, every government official should withdraw any governmental notice from the New York Post, and everyone should condemn the New York Post."[66]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Post

I think my favourite quote, resulting from the quick Google search "Is the NY Post reputable?" is this one from "Michael Pinto, designer"...

"It's a tabloid newspaper, it's not suppose to be a serious source of news." :laughing:

(Edited to add: And yeah. I agree... the headlines are sometimes fun! I just get suspicious when people link either Post or Daily Wail articles as legit sources for news.)

Last edited:
The Post is definitely a questionable source, but they can sometimes be the first to cover a story. As for Disney, it will be interesting to see what (if any) changes are made.

The Post is definitely a questionable source, but they can sometimes be the first to cover a story. As for Disney, it will be interesting to see what (if any) changes are made.

So far they have said they are putting up new, strongly worded signs about gators being in the water. Maybe they should tell people that at check in too, and make it part of the room ready texts.

I'm not sure anything that Disney do will ever stop people doing what they want.
I don't really know how folks haven't at least assumed there are alligators all over Disney property..I've seen them on and off for the past 20 years.

This was such a horrible accident, no ones fault.

I'm not sure anything that Disney do will ever stop people doing what they want.
I don't really know how folks haven't at least assumed there are alligators all over Disney property..I've seen them on and off for the past 20 years.

This was such a horrible accident, no ones fault.
I've only been to WDW about 5 times and never did I think alligators are there but then I never went to a beach there. If I did go to the beach I would obey the signs that said no swimming. I would think or ask a cast member why can't we go in the water.

I feel so sad for what happened. Disney should put Danger Alligators signs up.

I used to stay with my family as a kid at the Sheraton Lake Side, in Orlando, and they had gators right out back in the lake. In fact, their mascot was "Alli-Banana", which was a half alligator, half banana.

I've only been to WDW about 5 times and never did I think alligators are there but then I never went to a beach there. If I did go to the beach I would obey the signs that said no swimming. I would think or ask a cast member why can't we go in the water.

I feel so sad for what happened. Disney should put Danger Alligators signs up.

The water is nasty looking ..you couldn't pay me or my kids to have ever gone in there ..
Anywhere there's water in Florida , I think you can pretty much count on gators.

I think I'd like to see this enforced. I hope it will be!

In fact, I think they could go through some of those YouTube videos of people feeding gators at WDW (and elsewhere in Florida) and make a public example of a few of them. They've been doing that recently to people who deface national parks and post on social media about it.
Remember when Steve Irwin-the Crocodile Hunter, held his son up high in his hand as an infant, in front of the alligator. It still makes me shudder thinking of that picture. He truly thought he was doing nothing wrong. And for the bungalow's at the Poly? you couldn't pay me all the money in the world to stay there. Same with the campground at Disney, I cannot believe when I read Trip Reports and people actually stay in tents at the campground. I wonder if Disney is going to look into tent camping.

Remember when Steve Irwin-the Crocodile Hunter, held his son up high in his hand as an infant, in front of the alligator. It still makes me shudder thinking of that picture. He truly thought he was doing nothing wrong. And for the bungalow's at the Poly? you couldn't pay me all the money in the world to stay there. Same with the campground at Disney, I cannot believe when I read Trip Reports and people actually stay in tents at the campground. I wonder if Disney is going to look into tent camping.

I doubt they will look at tent camping. Maybe they will go to bear proof or gator proof food containers though.

I understand your thoughts about staying in a tent (wouldn't bother me though) but I don't see why you would be hesitant to stay in a bungalow?

I would stay in one of the bungalows, in a heartbeat! But only if someone else is paying, because wow... we cannot afford those prices!

I would go tent camping at the campgrounds, too. If it weren't for the fact that it's almost the same price as staying at the Pop, a heck of a lot less convenient to everything, and it's hard to get the kind of privacy a married couple likes to have, in a tent. :headache:

Why would I do? Well, I've hiked and camped in bear country. I haven't been eaten by a bear yet. I'm a passenger in a car at least once a week. I haven't died in a car accident yet. I cross roads on foot every day. I have yet to be mowed down! I walked home in thunderstorms and haven't been hit by lightning. I've faced down angry dogs and wasn't bit. I haven't been mugged, murdered or ... well, okay, I WAS molested as a kid. So, I was unlucky once. But, by and large, I've managed to make it this far, alive, happy and unscathed.

The point is, bad things happen every day. Tent camping at the Disney campgrounds is not an unreasonable risk to take. Staying in the bungalows is fine, too, though I wouldn't go dangling my toes in the water at dusk. Both of these are safer than a lot of ordinary little risks we take every single day, without thinking.

So... does anyone out there want to fund my stay at the Poly bungalows? ;)

I doubt they will look at tent camping. Maybe they will go to bear proof or gator proof food containers though.
I think I would be more worried about the snakes. We took a bike ride around the campgrounds in February and I couldn't believe how each site is pretty much surrounded by water.

I would stay in one of the bungalows, in a heartbeat! But only if someone else is paying, because wow... we cannot afford those prices!

I would go tent camping at the campgrounds, too. If it weren't for the fact that it's almost the same price as staying at the Pop, a heck of a lot less convenient to everything, and it's hard to get the kind of privacy a married couple likes to have, in a tent. :headache:

Why would I do? Well, I've hiked and camped in bear country. I haven't been eaten by a bear yet. I'm a passenger in a car at least once a week. I haven't died in a car accident yet. I cross roads on foot every day. I have yet to be mowed down! I walked home in thunderstorms and haven't been hit by lightning. I've faced down angry dogs and wasn't bit. I haven't been mugged, murdered or ... well, okay, I WAS molested as a kid. So, I was unlucky once. But, by and large, I've managed to make it this far, alive, happy and unscathed.

The point is, bad things happen every day. Tent camping at the Disney campgrounds is not an unreasonable risk to take. Staying in the bungalows is fine, too, though I wouldn't go dangling my toes in the water at dusk. Both of these are safer than a lot of ordinary little risks we take every single day, without thinking.

So... does anyone out there want to fund my stay at the Poly bungalows? ;)
I guess you do what makes you feel comfortable. I would not be comfortable at all staying at either place. I need to unwind and relax and my anxiety level would be thru the roof staying at either place. Sorry, just my honest opinion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter