Almost literally being sat on several times by other families

CaveMcMahon

Earning My Ears
You and your family pick a perfect spot to sit down like an empty bench. Several minutes later a big family group start trying to sit down and squeeze their way in. You know that non-Disney character named Aunt Fanny. She's a big robot who sometimes sits on the characters. Well that's what some families were doing. Like hey hey hey! what the heck are you doing? Me and my family are trying to relax in a shady spot and you come over here and try to sit down when there's no more room to sit. All these other benches or places to sit and they try to take over ours. They don't even apologize and just talk amongst themselves like my family isn't even there.

oh don't get me started. As a solo Disney guest, its happened so many times, space invaders without any awareness of how their actions affect me.

The very first time I was at MK for the 9:00 parade and fireworks, I saw 2 Dads almost throw down right there at the hub. One guy was sitting on some curb with his family and another guy tries to wedge in with his family. It was hot, muggy, late and Guy #1 didn't appreciate getting shoved by Guy 2's butt. I wondered if every nighttime event was going to be like this!

The very first time I was at MK for the 9:00 parade and fireworks, I saw 2 Dads almost throw down right there at the hub. One guy was sitting on some curb with his family and another guy tries to wedge in with his family. It was hot, muggy, late and Guy #1 didn't appreciate getting shoved by Guy 2's butt. I wondered if every nighttime event was going to be like this!
One time my dad was shoved by another guy during Epcot's lights and fireworks show. He shoved him right back. He doesn't tolerate it. The guy looked shocked too. heehee

I saw a family wedge their way in by Casey’s for the fireworks, all the way to the front center by just saying “excuse me” and people moved to the side. It was packed shoulder to shoulder and they must have moved past 100 people to the prime viewing spot and proceeded to hoist their kid on their shoulders, it was like watching something on candid camera.

Oh man I feel you. A few years ago my sister and I did a trip to Disneyland and we staked out a spot for the nighttime parade about an hour or so in advance. I laid out a blanket for us to sit on and at the VERY last second a family with 3 kids pushes past the massive crowd behind us and tries to shove them in front of us (we are literally sitting on the sidewalk so they tried to push us back and have their kids on the curb). We body blocked them and didn't let their kids pass. Then they tried to pull our blanket out from under us so their kids can sit on it. I yanked the blanket back and MAN you should've seen the shock on the mother's face. Absolutely didn't expect us to say or do anything.

Try looking a hell of a lot younger than you are. Disney, universal, Busch gardens…..it makes everyone treat you as a teenager or college aged human and that they can walk all over you! I haven’t been a teens in over a decade……

At the very least, look where you are going and apologize. It pisses me off when people don’t apologize. It happens we aren’t perfect, but admit your mistake!

We had it happen recently when two very large folks tried to squeeze on our tram row back to the parking lot and then the old guy proceeded to yell passive aggressively about us how "I guess they want to be selfish and not share their row" LOL. There were already 5 of us in the row with all of our stuff. Folks, it's 85 degrees and you are not going to sit on my lap.

The entitlement is getting much worse these days. I was standing on the TSMM queue outside and heard a young couples conversation. Husband and kid were going to wait on line for TSMM while wife was going to go do Startours. She says to husband - then I’ll just come back to TSMM and work myself up to the front of the line with some excuse 😬

The most common thing I see in this category is people sending their kids to squeeze on top of us. Every trip, sometimes twice. My family started talking about this recently. It’s sad and funny 🤣

Epcot - Luminous night the show starts and we’re in the 2nd row of people. In front is a lady in a wheel chair with her family, then us and another couple, and more people had gathered behind us before the show even started. 5 minutes in to the show, parents with 2 tweens try to squish forward and when they can’t get to front, send the kids to the front. There’s barely room to begin with, the kids can’t see smooshed between strangers, so the kids turn to look at parents and then push through and climb up onto the planters. I get it. It’s expensive and of course you want your kids to see the show. Showing up late and expect the seas to part is not the way.

Same trip, this time party of 5 with an ECV, we arrived 40 minutes early (lol didn’t realize show started 9:30p) and take a spot at the lagoon railing next to brick wall down the path from Odyssey building (great spot btw). 10-15 minutes before the show people start gathering around as normal. 2 minutes to showtime and family of 3 decides they’d like to move into the corner. They were kind of thin so didn’t take much room, but they squeeze down the wall past 3 rows of people then push left for 3 railing spots.

The year before we were at the railing somewhere on world showcase side. 4 of us standing at rail. Show starts and because only 2 of us actually had our hands on the rail, parents send their kids in front of us. We can’t move much back, there’s people that filled n behind. These 2 kids literally squished themselves in the 6” between our bellies and the rail. I can’t wrap my mind around this. I think the expectation is because the parents feel kids get priority and all the taller people should let them in front?

MK parade. We are party of 4 with ECV and were at the rope across from Country Bears. Parade starts and family tries pushing through 5 or 6 rows deep of people. The family almost make it to us but people start staying stuff. The parents retreat and motion for the kids to keep going. Squeeze in front of us and start making themselves comfortable sitting on the ECV. Yes my husband is sitting on it. Large kid sits on the back bumper, other is leaning on front basket. I don’t like to say this about kids but the one kid is so obnoxiously waving her arms at the parade, directly in front of people’s faces including the CM just in front of our rope. It was so bad the CM actually moved to block this kid more - she was a millimeter away from whacking CMs nose repeatedly. I also tell the kids to get off EVC. They make like they don’t understand. I had enough. I turn around look at the parents watching from 10 feet behind, then push the child off the scooter and tell them to stop. Kid is relentless though, moves over and keeps with the flailing arms to the parade’s end. Nuts. Several times I tried to communicate with parents and they just shrugged with smiles.

I could go on and on but these will never escape my memory. If anybody’s wondering why we’re cling to the railing for dear life ^^^

Oh my gosh. This is just ridiculous that people feel so entitled.

I have no problem with people passing others in the cattle pens. The CMs are clear. Move forward and fill in all available space. If you do that, there isn’t room for someone to pass you, but it never fails people just stand there and don’t move forward as instructed. No sympathy when they get passed.

I have no problem with a parent asking if their child can stand in front of me. I’ll probably offer if I see them behind me.

Don’t even mind them coming up if there’s a spot open, but this showing up last minute and pushing past everyone to get in the very front is ridiculous. Don’t even get me started on bratty kids on your ECV. I would have killed mine if they acted that way. Youngest daughter thought she was going to show out one year at Universal during the Mardi Gras parade. She learned quickly all that earned her was a view of the brick wall as I made her stand in time out facing away from the parade until it ended.

I’m sorry for everyone who has had to put up with this nonsense.

My pet peeve as far as people encroaching on personal space are the people who raise their arms on rides and inevitably elbow me in the head. Not as big of a deal at Disney where there are few thrill rides, but it seems to happen to me every time I ride the Mummy at Universal. Why people think it’s ok to stick their arms in your face, no idea. If you can’t raise your arms without keeping them in your area, don’t raise them.

My pet peeve as far as people encroaching on personal space are the people who raise their arms on rides and inevitably elbow me in the head. Not as big of a deal at Disney where there are few thrill rides, but it seems to happen to me every time I ride the Mummy at Universal. Why people think it’s ok to stick their arms in your face, no idea. If you can’t raise your arms without keeping them in your area, don’t raise them.
Lol I had to remind my husband to not do this to me :laughing: I hope it’s just because we’re so familiar and he’s never done it to a stranger. He kindly became more careful after I asked. Of course later he pointed out the one time my arm partially blocked him in a ToT photo! I told him yeah, haha, there was no danger of me elbowing your nose though. Nobody wants an elbow 2” from their nose on a jerky ride.

This made me laugh, I kid you not, I was with my 82 year old Mom and we were entertaining/corralling/herding 4 of my toddler grandkids, while their parents rode TOT. We found a spot in the shade on a bench, two toddlers were standing, watching Pluto take pics a few feet away, one was in a stroller in front of us,, facing us on the bench, and one baby is in my arms, I'm feeding a bottle.
A family of about 10 came up, and some sat on the empty bench next to us, but two squeezed in on our bench. So there are four of us on a bench, while I'm holding/feeding a baby.
THEN the man asks my 82 year old mom if she needs that spot or if he can sit. Our faces were so shocked. Strangest thing. My Mom almost gave him her seat in the shade, cause she didn't know what to say. I had to step in and tell them that, "yes, we need our seats, thank you". What on earth?????? Not to mention, we kinda wanted the two seats they'd taken for the two standing toddlers. It was bizarre.

You and your family pick a perfect spot to sit down like an empty bench. Several minutes later a big family group start trying to sit down and squeeze their way in. You know that non-Disney character named Aunt Fanny. She's a big robot who sometimes sits on the characters. Well that's what some families were doing. Like hey hey hey! what the heck are you doing? Me and my family are trying to relax in a shady spot and you come over here and try to sit down when there's no more room to sit. All these other benches or places to sit and they try to take over ours. They don't even apologize and just talk amongst themselves like my family isn't even there.
This is so annoying and happens way too much! Ugh!😩

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter