Amazing Race season 36

FYI, this season was actually filmed before last season. When the strike happened and CBS wanted to go to 90 minute shows, Phil or a producer suggested that instead of taking the footage they already had and try to stretch it to 90-minute episodes, they would film a new season specifically with the mindset of 90 minute episodes. So last season is that, and then this season was actually filmed before that and is just being shown now.

That's also may be why we've seen more masks this season than last (it was earlier in COVID), and why they have the start groups again when they didn't last season. Not sure if that plays into why you liked last season better; just wanted to share that.
Thanks - that helps explain why there's no footage of airports or rushing to get flights. I assume that this season was one where they chartered them everywhere. That's probably why the race has been so concentrated in one area of the world - pretty much all in North/Central/South America.

This makes so much sense now. I was wondering why they were doing the group start again. I like it so much better without the group start.
I actually like the group starts, because I hate the "race to the airport, only to find out it's a bottleneck and everyone's on the same flight" that the show does. And it means that finishing near the back of the pack has tangible consequences.

I loved it back when teams would actually have to figure out the best way to get to a new destination, and were sometimes hours ahead of the trailing teams because of smart travel booking.

not good for production tho. There was one time the eliminated team was over 24 hours behind if I recall.
I think I remember that. They had a ton of flight issues, and the next leg had already started before they even could get to the mat (or something like that).

not good for production tho. There was one time the eliminated team was over 24 hours behind if I recall.
Yeah. There were also times where the production was barely ahead of the racers. So I get the intention behind the bottlenecking, but it just kills all the travel drama.

Haven’t gotten to the end yet, but not liking the alliance at the racing challenge. That much help doesn’t seem right to me. Angie is clearly not up to this race. I’m imagining her attempting the soccer thing next.

Really loved Cesar deciding to just bulldoze the other team.

Ugh and now they are continuing to work together. I don’t blame the other 2 teams for doing the same thing though. My sense of fair competition is offended.

Last edited:
Haven’t gotten to the end yet, but not liking the alliance at the racing challenge. That much help doesn’t seem right to me. Angie is clearly not up to this race. I’m imagining her attempting the soccer thing next.

Ugh and now they are continuing to work together. I don’t blame the other 2 teams for doing the same thing though. My sense of fair competition is offended.
Agreed! I have no problem with telling another team "the bridge is that way" or something, but there should be a rule against giving away answers and working as a group.

How funny was the soccer/bubble challenge?! I was cracking up and wishing I could have been playing.

Is it me or does Danny (mom/son team) talk to people weird? I can't figure out if it's the way he enunciates his words, or is he coming across as talking to people like they're preschoolers? Whatever it is, it's getting on my nerves.

Happy with the winners this week. Wasn't happy with who went home though.

Danny was homeschooled by his mom and is listed as a University Resident Director on the CBS website. Based on his social media, it looks like he tried out for Survivor, and was on Let's Make a Deal and The Price is Right (twice). Her social media is all private, so it looks like this is all about him.

Last edited:
How funny was the soccer/bubble challenge?! I was cracking up and wishing I could have been playing.

Is it me or does Danny (mom/son team) talk to people weird? I can't figure out if it's the way he enunciates his words, or is he coming across as talking to people like they're preschoolers? Whatever it is, it's getting on my nerves.

Happy with the winners this week. Wasn't happy with who went home though.
I’m guessing he’s on the spectrum, honestly they don’t bother me, they are kind and respectful, mom is obviously proud of her son, and if he happens to be neurodivergent like I suspect, I’m guessing life hasn’t always been easy.

I agree as well - I'm really not liking having multiple teams waiting around to help other teams. If you've done the task, move on and keep racing. I feel like they're setting things up for a future drama, though, when one of those three teams decides not to help the others.

Watched a few of the recent episodes but never got into that show. Seems like the same thing every week with some unusual challenges and some of the teams don't seem to know how to read maps/ask for directions and get lost. Show seems highly edited so I don't get a good sense of how much is contrived to create drama in an effort to make the show more interesting.

Teaming up for the middle of the pack group was a smart move. They knew they weren't going to win the leg, but it kept them from being eliminated.

The strategy is similar to Survivor where people form alliances to get to the final 3 or 4, and then it is each person for themselves. On Survivor, people make promises or alliances with multiple groups and end up turning on each other. I can see that happening on TAR. The idea of waiting and helping others drove Vinny crazy! :lmao:

The producers of TAR can easily make it so that contestants can't help each other. My bet is that they like the additional drama that alliances add to the game.

Watched a few of the recent episodes but never got into that show. Seems like the same thing every week with some unusual challenges and some of the teams don't seem to know how to read maps/ask for directions and get lost. Show seems highly edited so I don't get a good sense of how much is contrived to create drama in an effort to make the show more interesting.
You pretty much described the show. Add in not being able to drive stick shift and you pretty much summarized 36 seasons of TAR

What were you expecting?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter