American Idol 2024

I thought for sure Emmy would be sent home last night, especially singing Shut up and Dance With Me and she didn’t get up from the piano and move at all. All the other contestants are doing things out of their comfort zone, and growing episode by episode. Emmy is not. I was shocked she stayed over Julia. I’m glad Will made it, I have enjoyed every song he has sung. I listen to him on Spotify 🙂

Julia has so much more talent. Emmy has never had my vote from day 1. I just don't think she is that good. She sounds like every other ordinary dime a dozen country girl singers that sing in the local bars on weekends.

Julia has so much more talent. Emmy has never had my vote from day 1. I just don't think she is that good. She sounds like every other ordinary dime a dozen country girl singers that sing in the local bars on weekends.
I’m a country music fan, but I agree with you about Emmy. Loved her Grandma, and Emmy seems like a sweet girl but I’m just not a fan.

Wrong choice keeping Emmy. But as much as I love Idol it is just a popularity contest. Not based on talent. Judges should have more input to who stays.

Ratings down 12 % this Season.

I agree with others-if Emmy had the goods,she would already be a Star because of the opportunities her Family name gives her.

She doesn't and shouldn't have taken a spot from someone who doesn't have her advantages.

Nothing personal,just the facts.

I think Emmy will make it into the Top 5. I'll tell my theory later, if she makes it.

I said I'd tell my theory if Emmy makes it to the Top 5 and she has. Meanwhile other contestants who have so much better, stronger voices and personalities have gone home. Especially other females. It kind of supports my theory of who may be voting for her and why. :scratchin

It actually starts out with Beyoncé and her latest country/western song. Beyoncé talked about the impetus for her newest album. She said 5 years ago she was doing the CMA Awards with the Dixie Chicks, singing with them and they made her feel "Not welcome." She didn't think it was because she mostly does pop/R&B/music. She thinks it was because she's black.

Since that event, she's done her homework and research. Blacks have been a part of the history of "country" music, especially southern and western and cowboy music. An African instrument, the akonting, was the inspiration for one of the earliest American gourd banjos. Beyoncé's new album is titled, "COWBOY Carter," to make clear her music has those inspirations and because she hails from Houston TX. Her album isn't "Grand Ole' Opry" Nashville country music.

Yet, while her album is climbing the country music charts, there is a contingent who clearly don't think and feel Beyoncé is "Grand Ole' Opry" country music, nor should she represent them.

Actor/singer John Schneider, who has 9 studio country albums and four #1 country singles, was very vocal about his feelings when songs from her new album came out, the first one, Texas Hold 'Em, is very cowboy/western. He compared Beyoncé to, "a dog at a dog walk park making it's mark. Every dog has to pee on every tree to mark its territory," and said that's what she's doing. But, that she's not really country.

He's probably not the only one who thinks that way. They probably want to "re-mark" their country music territory against "those coming in," and a great way to do that would be with the granddaughter of a "Grand Ole' Opry" country music, (white) legend, very coincidentally, (maybe not,) right now on American Idol - and has made it to the Top 5.

As they continue to vote for her, if they get her to win Idol, even better. But Top 5 is great, especially if she releases her own album now. Doesn't matter if she's kind of lackluster. They'll help push a single or the album to #1 and take back the country music charts from Beyoncé and re-establish what real country music is really about.

And Idol is helping out. If she releases an album that does well, that helps Idol too. Mutual benefit for both. When Idol had her sing Coal Miner's Daughter, they emphasised that Emmy Russel is not only the granddaugher of country legend, Loretta Lynn, she is the great-granddaughter of a coal miner. She couldn't have a better legacy than that. In the weeks since, they have been saying not only is she stepping out of the shadow of her "Memaw" but she's now carving out her own identity (and brand) for her album.

Last edited:
Voting for American Idol is from those who watch the show. If someone never watches/votes, then clearly they aren't involved in choosing the winner. To me it has more to do with the demographic who watches the show (and votes). I have never voted and only watch occasionally. I have no idea what % of the viewers actually vote. It is somewhat like America's Got Talent when that little girl playing the ukulele or another being a ventriloquist won the show. If the demographic watching/voting were mostly people around her age helps to explain how she won.

Even if someone wins American Idol, they still have to record music that is popular with enough people to make a career doing it. I don't really see that has anything to with who their ancestors are. Is Miley Cyrus popular because her dad used to be a pop/country singer?

Voting for American Idol is from those who watch the show. If someone never watches/votes, then clearly they aren't involved in choosing the winner.

That's very idealistic and uninformed. One doesn't have to watch the show in order to vote. One just has to know when voting is open for the show: when the show starts, 8pm ET/ 5pm PT until the commercial break Ryan says voting is closed, approximately 12 minutes before the end of show. AND they need to know the phone number to call in on and how many votes. That's IT. With social media, texts and emails, it's easy to remind people who do not watch the show when to vote.

Anyone who has watched Dancing With the Stars when they have a very polarizing contestant, often a republican contestant, has seen how the voting that season is skewed for these contestants each week, when clearly other contestants have out-danced them. Bristol Palin was the first. She actually made it to the Finals over Brandy who was clearly such a better dancer than Bristol. Bristol finally got booted as the producers had to change the rules for the last show so the judges get an extra and final vote.

Last, John Schneider type thinkers about country music could have been told to watch and vote if watching is so crucial to voting, even though it's not.

I think most people vote online. When voting opens login and choose a rating number between 0 and 10 for each contestant. Make sure to hit send before voting closes.
Someone could easily complete voting well before most have even performed.
ETA-- It's easy to see what the voting looks like. Most people on the Dis have a Disney account. That login gets you into the idol voting page.

Last edited:
I think most people vote online. When voting opens login and choose a rating number between 0 and 10 for each contestant. Make sure to hit send before voting closes.
Someone could easily complete voting well before most have even performed.
ETA-- It's easy to see what the voting looks like. Most people on the Dis have a Disney account. That login gets you into the idol voting page.

Forgot about voting online. :thumbsup2 People voting before a contestant even performs goes to my point that someone could vote for other reasons than their actual performance.

Regardless of which method people use to vote, it is their OPINION of who they like best for any number of reasons. You don't need to know anything about music to vote. Many seem to get upset and invent all sorts of explanations about why someone THEY liked didn't do well (or someone they DON'T like does well). I guess it gives the social media crowd something to be outraged about this week...........LOL. I can recall when Bobby Bones won Dancing with the Stars because of his large radio show following when he clearly was not the best dancer. But life goes on, it's a TV reality show. There is a separate forum area if you want to discuss/debate politics.

How is Jack's performances these days? Does he still make those incredible faces when he sings? I'm so uncomfortable that after seeing him near the beginning of the season, I just can't watch when he comes on. He could have totally reformed and gotten those weird facial movements "untrained". Yes, I love Julie and hated to see her go. Of those left right now, I like Will, but it seems that almost every season, a country singer wins it all. I'm also a little uncomfortable because he's already a musician. Like a lot of people, I like to see someone "plucked from total obscurity" to win it all.

Jack seems to have stopped with those strange/exaggerated facial expressions. I actually thought at first he had some sort of medical condition, but just seemed to do that on his own. I have NO idea why he ever thought that was a good idea. During one of the earlier shows, he made a comment that he was going to continue to do that in spite of the suggestions made by the judges. I assume with additional coaching, they have managed to convince him those added nothing to his performance and just made it awkward to watch him.

I also like the original concept of the show where they were searching for brand new talent. I don't think that those already making a living as singers should be allowed to compete as well as former contestants. But it seems like the show's producers have continued to stretch the rules to allow many to participate who would otherwise not be eligible. That was discussed earlier in this thread. I tried to look up the current contestant criteria, but their official website shows that section is closed for now until they start accepting applicants for the next show.

Jack seems to have stopped with those strange/exaggerated facial expressions. I actually thought at first he had some sort of medical condition, but just seemed to do that on his own. I have NO idea why he ever thought that was a good idea. During one of the earlier shows, he made a comment that he was going to continue to do that in spite of the suggestions made by the judges. I assume with additional coaching, they have managed to convince him those added nothing to his performance and just made it awkward to watch him.

I also like the original concept of the show where they were searching for brand new talent. I don't think that those already making a living as singers should be allowed to compete as well as former contestants. But it seems like the show's producers have continued to stretch the rules to allow many to participate who would otherwise not be eligible. That was discussed earlier in this thread. I tried to look up the current contestant criteria, but their official website shows that section is closed for now until they start accepting applicants for the next show.
According to what Ryan said Sunday night, auditions are now in progress, so I assume that means applicants?

I like Abi tonight and I'm kind of 50/50 on her so she will get 10 votes tonight. I am one who watches the performances before I vote.

Love the "costume change" by Katy!

It reminded me of Katniss Everdeen in Hunger Games. She did a twirl in one of the movies and made her dress change. Of course, that was done with CGI special effects. I was really impressed that Katy could do something similar. :oops: 😍 And of course, it was very Cinderella. princess:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter