An RV and a tent?

cruising spud

DIS Veteran
Once we got our rv, it was good bye hotel rooms/hello Fort Wilderness. We traveled to Disney with our youngest daughter. The one time we went as an entire family, our two older girls/one husband rented a cabin.

That trip was in 2008. Husband, youngest daughter, and I were back to Fort Wilderness in 2014.

Now, we are hoping to do another trip this summer with all of us, now including two grandchildren. Total of eight people.

Here is my question-would a campsite comfortably fit our 28 foot rv and a 10x10 tent? Or would it be better to get two campsites?

Thanks for the input.

Full hook up sites would be your best bet, there are some preferred that would work too. Be sure to let the reservation CM know. Save that $ for other fun things!

My parents have a 36 foot class A and DS and I recently tented behind their rig on a FHU site with plenty of space. Our tent is smaller, but we would have had the space for a 10 x 10. The only bummer we had was that they were on 1600 loop on a site that backed to Big Pine Drive. Super convenient for tucking out to get to the bus stop or to the Meadows, not so great for tent sleeping with the busses and lawn mowing going early in the a.m...ear plugs would have been a good addition to our packing (they would have helped for our night at All Star Sports the night before my parents got in as well!) So my tip would be to ask for 1800, 1900, or the back side of 1600 or 1700 if you plan to tent, and always pack earplugs just in case :)

Would this work in the 100 loop? I have always liked that loop because it is small and close to the boats. I just can't visual if it is big enough.

Would this work in the 100 loop? I have always liked that loop because it is small and close to the boats. I just can't visual if it is big enough.

I think so. Our 26 ft GMC would have fit a 10'x10' tent in front of it in our spot on the 100 loop this past December since we didn't need to park a car or cart up there. However, we could not have done it in back of the coach without at least a decent 50 amp extension cord and a really long sewer and water hookup. Might have just made it in the back the way we were if we moved the picnic table to the side or front. While the site was plenty large enough, we were pretty constrained by the hookup location. I would have preferred to be farther forward to allow for more room to relax in the back, but that just wasn't an option, so we had a lot of wasted space in front. You see some decent sized rigs in many of those spots, but plan to bring stuff to be flexible with your hookups! Let the CM know when you make the reservation and study some of the maps here for a site you think would work. We were on the inside part of the loop, I want to say 107. Love the 100 loop. So convenient for getting to MK, the monorail resorts, and Wilderness Lodge.

Not sure how I feel about the tent in front of our rv. I am going to have to dig out our map of the fort.

Thanks for the information.

I just called Disney. Disney allows both a tent and an rv in their full hook-up and preferred sites, not in their premium sites. So, I have narrowed my search.

I just called Disney. Disney allows both a tent and an rv in their full hook-up and preferred sites, not in their premium sites. So, I have narrowed my search.

We've put a tent behind our RV on a Premium site before, and didn't have a problem. The one thing to note is that the Premium sites don't have the sand pit in the back, so it can be a pain to stake the tent down. I like the full hook up sites better than some of the Premium loops, though we were in 400 one time, and that loop was pretty nice too.

and always pack earplugs just in case
That's something I never have pondered for camping. I guess though, since I have never tent camped at the Fort, it's a different story.

As @thegoof121 there is no sand pad, but I think if you want to put a tent on the concrete you can. Just can't stake it down.

Okay then, so if this trip comes together I am going to plan for the tent and the rv. Thank you, everyone for all of the input.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter