An Update on the Updates by TCD!!!

Maybe cart rentals will be handled at check in? And a CM will bring the cart to your site? Only problem I see with this is having to wait on a CM to bring you your cart! :confused:

(or maybe those new premium sites will include the cost of a cart rental per day! yeah right! :laughing: )

My guess for the rental location is the Kennel building when they move out of it.

BTW - Gret job TCD!!!

Great pictures!!! Can't wait to get there!!!!

I always worry that I will visit the Fort and not have something interesting to report back to my Disboard friends. Fortunately, it hasn't happened yet, and it did not happen on this trip . . .

On Monday morning, October 6, I was out for my morning patrol, and I came across a crew doing something to the 900/1000 loop bus stop.

Here is what I saw:

FW10308006.jpg

A closer look:

FW10308007.jpg

It was early in the morning. I would say about 7:15. It wasn't quite as dark out as these photos make it look, but the sun was barely up. What are these guys doing to the bus stop so early in the morning?

Here are some photos taken just a little later, when the sun was a bit higher in the sky:

FW10308009.jpg

FW10308010.jpg

What is this all about?

Are they decorating for Halloween?

Are they making the bus stops into screen rooms?

Wouldn't you like to know?

Well, have I ever left you hanging?

These guys were installing netting around this bus stop as a part of a pest control effort. This bus stop is infested with bats! These bats are an endangered species, so this exclusion technique is used to allow the bats to leave at night, but not return. They will have to find another place to live, but they are not harmed. I got this info from a castmember who was there supervising the whole operation.

Angry homeless bats roaming the Fort looking for a place to roost! :scared1:

Just in time for Halloween!

TCD

Thanks for posting this, I was there when they were finishing the 500 Loop back on Labor Day weekend and was wondering other than the extra cement what the new ammenities would look like. I'm not impressed personally and the widder site just makes it harder for me to put out my doggy play pen. I love the 800 loop, but I maybe giving it up to go back to just a preferred site.

Thanks again for sharing!

TCD, when we were there in September; they were digging a large hole at the entrance of the fort (running along Vista and the entrance). Have they completed this and if so, what is it?

TCD, when we were there in September; they were digging a large hole at the entrance of the fort (running along Vista and the entrance). Have they completed this and if so, what is it?

Those are now two retaining ponds. The construction fence was still up this past weekend, but it looks like the work has been done, and you can see that the ponds have water in them. I think it was just a drainage improvement project.

TCD

So, we know that the 500 loop is the first loop to re-open with the new premium designation.

Which loop will be next? :confused3

Well, I'm here to tell you that it is the beloved 800 loop.

Here is what I saw on Saturday:

FW10308221.jpg

CopyofFW10308061.jpg

FW10308222-1.jpg

As you can see, the entrance was totally blocked off. You can see the Porta Potti back there, and some construction equipment, but the sign says Do Not Enter. Too bad, I really would have liked to get some photos to post here. :(

I know! Maybe I could go down the sidewalk by the tether-ball court.

No such luck:

FW10308228-1.jpg

Well, there you have it. All kinds of interesting stuff going on back there, and they have the whole thing blocked off with impenetrable barricades. So close!

Oh well, maybe next time.

TCD

;)

Oh come on TCD, you know you could've gone in there thru 900 or 700 loop. You're not teasin us are you?

Someone mentioned maybe they'll deliver your rented cart to your site. Simliar to an idea I had....

How about a service where they will park your motorhome for you? I picture after check in is complete someone would walk out with you to your rig, drive it to your site, pointing this and that on the way there. Might even take the long way to your site. Helps you back it in, and plugs you in.

Personally, I'd just park myself, but I can see where some folks would appreciate the service, no? Maybe a good perk for the premium sites (help to justify the upcharge too).

Tri-Circle_D,

Thanks for all the great pictures!!!!

Man, I miss that place.

What about the cable situation in 1700 loop? Any progress yet?

John

So, we know that the 500 loop is the first loop to re-open with the new premium designation.

Which loop will be next? :confused3

Well, I'm here to tell you that it is the beloved 800 loop.

Here is what I saw on Saturday:

FW10308221.jpg

CopyofFW10308061.jpg

FW10308222-1.jpg

As you can see, the entrance was totally blocked off. You can see the Porta Potti back there, and some construction equipment, but the sign says Do Not Enter. Too bad, I really would have liked to get some photos to post here. :(

I know! Maybe I could go down the sidewalk by the tether-ball court.

No such luck:

FW10308228-1.jpg

Well, there you have it. All kinds of interesting stuff going on back there, and they have the whole thing blocked off with impenetrable barricades. So close!

Oh well, maybe next time.

TCD

;)
we JUST GOT BACK 10/8/08 we were in loop 700 site 713 and I have pictures of the 800 loop I went through the pet walk (thats blocked off )
there were no workers there on sat, & sun. Will try to post in the am if I can figure it out.

I have some good news to report to you regarding the cable situation in the 1700 loop, but I have some other things to report first. Stay tuned.

TCD

Can't wait to hear the update on the 1700 loop, that's one of my favorite loops.

I would love to see pictures of the 800 loop, we have always considered it OUR loop, as we have staying there every time we have camped at Fort Wilderness, I also would love to know if the entire loop will be premium, are all of the sites on 500 premium now?

Oh come on TCD, you know you could've gone in there thru 900 or 700 loop. You're not teasin us are you?

Busted! Of course I was yanking your chains! Didn't you see this winky face?: ;)

we JUST GOT BACK 10/8/08 we were in loop 700 site 713 and I have pictures of the 800 loop I went through the pet walk (thats blocked off )
there were no workers there on sat, & sun. Will try to post in the am if I can figure it out.

Too late. Here they come.

On Sunday morning, I awoke just before sunrise, and enjoyed a peaceful cup of coffee at my campsite.

The TCD dog was along for this trip, and she wanted to go for a walk.

So, we headed out on the sidewalk, out of the 500 loop, across the road, and into the 700 loop.

The TCD gang camped in site 811 for Thanksgiving week, 2007, so I knew that it was easy to walk right from the 700 loop to the 800 loop (just like our good friend Stacktester already pointed out).

While in the 700 loop, I enjoyed the decorations at site 705.

I think these folks stay around all winter, as I believe I recall this site being well decorated with similar Christmas decorations last year.

Anyhow, site 705 is hereby awarded the TCD award for best seasonal campsite decorations (at least so far- I will be back before Halloween to make the final award).

A couple photos of site 705 before we move on to the 800 loop:

FW10308188.jpg

FW10308187.jpg

TCD

I would love to see pictures of the 800 loop, we have always considered it OUR loop, as we have staying there every time we have camped at Fort Wilderness, I also would love to know if the entire loop will be premium, are all of the sites on 500 premium now?

Ask, and ye shall receive.

I am also rather partial to the 800 loop, as this is the first loop that the TCD gang ever camped in, back when we bravely started out in a tent, and didn't know squat. In those days, the 800 loop was just a full hook up loop. We camped in that loop often, because it has such a great location. I thought it was a better location than what at the time were labeled the premium loops. Even with all of the clearing, it is still one of the most wooded loops.

Yes, all of the sites in the 500 loop are now premium sites, and as these photos demonstrate, that also appears to be what will happen in the 800 loop.

Now, back to our story.

There are a couple of unoccupied sites in the 700 loop, so it is easy to just walk from there, across the old train tracks, and into the 700 loop. It is Sunday morning, and no workers are present.

This is site 811, approaching from the 700 loop:

FW10308189.jpg

Another shot:

FW10308191.jpg

As you can see, this concrete has just been recently poured, as the forms are still in place. I think these photos illustrate pretty well how much the concrete pads on the sites are being expanded. In some cases, the concrete area is more than doubling.

Here is a shot from the front of the 811 site. You will notice that all of the site marker poles have been removed, but the fake stumps are still in place at each site. The site numbers are written on the stumps with a sharpee:

FW10308192.jpg

I am surprised that these stumps are being left. They were left on the 500 loop. On other loops (e.g. the 1400 loop), the stumps were removed a while back. I always thought the theme-ing was neat with these stumps, but they are quite beat up, and they create quite an obstruction.

I think you will be able to see the site number in this photo:

FW10308193.jpg

Some more photos, just walking around the loop (I am heading clockwise):

FW10308194.jpg

FW10308195.jpg

FW10308196.jpg

FW10308197.jpg

FW10308198.jpg

FW10308199.jpg

As I walk around the loop, it is obvious that they started at site 801, and began working their way around. As I reach the mid-way point around the loop, I can see that sites are still being prepped for forms.

I believe this is a tool used to compact the ground:

FW10308200.jpg

Here we can see that the sites are still getting cleared and prepped for concrete:

FW10308201.jpg

FW10308202.jpg

As I continue around the loop, I see a pile of the wood that used to form the barriers of the sand areas of each site:

FW10308203.jpg

FW10308204.jpg

This post is getting long. I'll cut this one off, and start a new one with more photos of my walk around the 800 loop. Be sure to check back, the story gets interesting, as TCD almost gets busted!:rolleyes1

TCD

Continuing on . . .

FW10308205.jpg

As I continue around the loop, I see more and more equipment parked on the sites:

FW10308206.jpg

FW10308207.jpg

And, I also see . . . .

Dagnabbit!!

Two golf carts with lights on the roof sitting there waiting for me to walk around. They see me and I see them. Busted. What should I do? Run? What if they chase me? Can I get away? I decide to follow my own advice. I just keep walking like I have every right in the world to be snooping around the 800 loop. I walk up to the carts. I say good morning. One cart has two folks on it, the other, one. They say good morning. That's it. They chat among themselves, and I keep going. Then, the first cart takes off, followed shortly by the second. As she drives by, the lady in the second cart, says "have fun!" I say thanks, and have a good day, and off she goes.

You think I'm lying?

Would a photo change your mind?

Here is one of my new friends, right after she told me to have fun:

FW10308208.jpg

So, I continue on . . .

This photo makes me a little sad.

A lot of trees are being removed as a result of the campsite expansions. I hate to see this:

FW10308209.jpg

Then I see something strange, behind one of the sites. What is that? Is it a boat?

FW10308211.jpg

Yes, it is a boat!

FW10308212.jpg

What the heck?

Moving on . . . .

More sacrificed trees :( :

FW10308213.jpg

Here are a couple of sites that are going to be less than desirable. If you know the 800 loop, you know that there are two sites smack dab in front of the comfort station. Sidewalks to and from the comfort station border these sites. The TCD gang had one of these sites on our first camping trip. Since we were tenting, our tent was maybe 5' from the ladies' room door. We didn't care. We still had fun. We didn't know any better. But, if you are paying for a premium site, how would you like to be assigned to one of these two sites?:

FW10308214.jpg

FW10308215.jpg

More equipment:

FW10308216.jpg

More dead trees:

FW10308217.jpg

FW10308218.jpg

Although it looks like the comfort stations are open, apparently not:

FW10308219.jpg

Site 802. First site on the right as you enter the loop. We stayed here President's Day weekend in 2007. Great site. Now it is huge:

FW10308220.jpg

What do you say, is that enough photos of the 800 loop? I hope so, 'cause that's all I've got.

Would you believe that there were even more changes going on at the Fort?

Well there were.

And, I still have a lot more pictures!

Is this going to be my longest trip report yet?

I'm afraid so.

TCD

Don't be afraid of long trip reports, they are great!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter