...And Then Scotty Happened. A Hawaiian Adventure (CHAPTER 32 Added 5/23--THE END)

The burger joint looks awesome. I would definitely appreciate a place like that. Sense of humor is everything, well as long as the food is good.

Your pictures are just all cute and sentimental, especially the one that you took to crash the internet and announce Drew. That's why I like you all so much.

Not to get too ahead of things, but did you look at the Heart Attack Grill in Vegas? We are definitely thinking of adding this to one of our upcoming trips. Looks like some awesome burgers and fries and quite the ambience!

Here’s the picture we used to announce that Julie and I were careless idio—uh, that baby Drew was on the way:

IMG_2625.jpg

I remember the picture having its intended effect. We kind of blew up the internet that day.

I remember that picture! :thumbsup2 It's hard to believe that Baby Drew is here and growing cuter and bigger everyday and Julie doesn't even look pregnant there.

That church is adorable. so cute.

More beautiful scenery pictures.

Bubba's looks like its the burger joint of your dreams. I could definitely see you with all those pictures in your living room. I especially love the "No McDonalds". Too funny. :rotfl2:

So what's this about starting a new TR. Do we have plans for the summer? Inquiring minds always want to know!

OK, now I want a Bubba burger and it's not even 8:30AM! :thumbsup2

Beautiful pictures of the coast, even if the weather wasn't completely cooperating.

Yea on tacking on DL to the summer plans. :yay: How could you get so close and not go? I've found that babies are easier to travel with than toddlers...better to take the trip when you can put Drew under your arm like a football than when he gets a mind of his own.

Great plans for checking all the states off. Don't you wish it was as fun to fund all these trips as it is to plan them? Let me know when you get around to the Chattanooga/GA/AL trip, I can help with that.

Christine

Chapter 29: Bubba!

“I gotta find Bubba!”

It’s a lot of fun talking about upcoming trips, but I need to get this report done before I can move on to the next one.

Not necessarily :rolleyes1:

But I can see where it might be seen as being somewhat more… ummm…
considerate of those that were dutifully reading along

I’ll go stand over in the corner now…
TR5-013_zps79039473.jpg

We last left off heading out of the state park after seeing a little bit of canyon and a whole lot of fog.

caligine circumfusum

we hit the town of Koloa, site of the first major sugar plantation in Hawaii. More importantly, it was also the site of Bubba’s Burgers.

per escam circumdedit

Any place that has a sense of humor about itself earns a lot of points with me. Note their slogans:

Words to live by…

well except for the tourist part of it anyway…
When if I’m the tourist in question…

You can go ahead and cheat the rest of ‘em.

Upon entering, I was fairly certain we’d found a keeper. The restaurant was decorated in much the same way I would prefer to adorn our living room:

Which is likely why Julie doesn’t allow you to take on that particular task.

but I gott’a say, the “do stupid things faster” sign…
that reminds me of a great number of folks I know.

So how was the food? Pretty tasty. I had been warned by our trusty guidebook that the hamburger patties were somewhat small, but that was easily remedied by ordering a double. With grilled pineapple, of course.

A Hawaiian burger joint that knows how to properly incorporate pineapple.
Imagine that…

Julie got the onion rings while I got the fries, and our marriage endures to this day.

You could’a gotten the Chili Fries…
Then the cost benefit analysis would have been equal on both sides of the equation.

But saving $2.50 is also a good goal.

Now that the sugar mill is gone, the town has turned its eye to the last remaining reliable source of economic growth in Hawaii: tourists.

Much like the Caribbean

If you have any recollection of the opening credits of Fantasy Island at all,

hahanosmiley-1.gif

then these pictures ought to look very familiar to you:

P’urty pictures though.
Well worth the side trip in their own right.

With that stop behind us, we headed back north, stopping at the Kilauea Bakery again to pick up a pizza for dinner. I noticed that the sign out front says “Kilauea Bakery” and then also reads “Pau Hana Pizza”. So I’m not sure if it goes by one name in the morning and then another at night, sort of like Batman? Come to think of it, I seem to remember a Wayne Enterprises logo on the pizza box.

Holy Alter Ego, Batman!

We also found a spot for some general tomfoolery

Being as Colonel Tom Foolery was recently promoted.

It was still easy to find the right turn into town, thanks to this gaudy monstrosity at the entrance:

Looks like something you’d find at Universal Studios.

The United States does hold territory farther west than this spot, but not much of it is very accessible. Unless you’re Indiana Jones or something. And if you are, why are you reading this Trip Report? You should already know this stuff.

Archaeology is the search for fact… not truth.
If it’s truth you’re interested in, Dr. Tyree’s Philosophy class is right down the hall.

We kind of blew up the internet that day.

That explains that worldwide communications outage.
I just figured it was an alien invasion or something.

It wasn’t the ideal view from the top of the mountain, but I was grateful for the chance to at least see a piece of that spectacular coastline with my own eyes.

The view you had still trumps my view of it.

I know that the announcement picture is the general reader’s choice for best
picture of the update… and for obvious (and valid) sentimental reasons.

But I like this one.

It shows the reflective nature of the end of that day
And the looming end of the adventure.

Nice shot there Mark.

Great update, Mark.

I have to admit that I laughed when I saw the sign of the Burger joint. Not because it was a burger joint and I know your love of burgers, but because I used to work at a place called "Bubba's." It was a bar back during the disco days. I started as a waitress, brought Mark in after we were dating (he worked at a different bar at the time) and he and I both ended up bartending.

The burgers look delicious, and I love onion rings.

I remember that picture of Julie and the kids announcing the impending new Harbeson child!

Beautiful pictures, as always.

Looks like a pretty cool burger joint you found!

I just love reading Hawaii updates. So relaxing and beautiful.

Cute pregnancy announcement photo!

You know, I was just thinking...not that you need another reason to add Disneyland to your trip...but, now, you have good reason to do a trip report for it. :thumbsup2 (not that you need to have a Disney destination - I just threw a mini-NYC TR in my TR and the closest we got was going to the Disney Store and having a fake creepy Minnie follow us in Times Square :rotfl2: - but it helps to have a Disney park planned!)

Very nice Mark. I see you were taking the pictures, and who knew, they didn't suck! :lmao:

I am a Paragon of Mediocrity! :woohoo:

Looks like the decision has been made.

It would appear that way, yes.

I know right - no brainer .... :rotfl2: Alison's help sealed the deal.

::yes::

Oh that guilt goes away just get her inside the park. :lmao:

:rotfl2: I think we all understand that!

:cool1:

Glad you were able to get some pixie dust and make the dream come true.

Me too! I am grateful for pixie dust from my friends. Very cool.

Looked at thte other plans for future trips and WOW - I may need to borrow those one day for some exploration of my own. :thumbsup2

Just remember, they all involve lots of driving! It works fine if you're like us and don't do very well sitting in one place for very long.

Great call on coming off the mountain and some great pictures at the beach.

:thumbsup2

Anyway, this place stayed on my radar for two reasons: 1) obviously, it was a burger joint, and 2) their website cracked me up. Any place that has a sense of humor about itself earns a lot of points with me.
Looks like a winner to me. :thumbsup2

The restaurant was decorated in much the same way I would prefer to adorn our living room
:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl: I'd save that stuff for the man cave. Or the dog house. Cause that's probably where you'd end up if you put any of it in your living room.

Across the street from the shops was a field that felt quintessentially Hawaiian: sugar cane and monkeypod trees:
:eek: :crazy2: Not the "Q" word!!!!!

If you have any recollection of the opening credits of Fantasy Island at all, then these pictures ought to look very familiar to you
Ummm... :scratchin :confused3 :rolleyes1 :lmao:

So she worked hard to get legible numbers into the sand and get everybody lined up as I manned the camera. Everything was perfect.

Except for the old lady standing in the water directly behind them. We waited several minutes, but she had evidently found some sort of energy vortex at that particular spot in the ocean, and would. Not. Move.
Of course she wouldn't move... :lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

I remember the picture having its intended effect. We kind of blew up the internet that day.
::yes:: It was a great way to show everyone how careless... I mean to announce the joyous addition to your family. :thumbsup2

We found a short trail along that rocky coastline in the background. Following that trail around the bend led to an unexpected surprise: our first (and only) glimpse (finally!) of the Na Pali Coast
Where there's a will, there's a way. :thumbsup2

Ok, how about the site of several drownings, and then a place Capt. Jack Sparrow could appreciate.
Well it seems like they both might be places that Capt. Sparrow could appreciate... :confused3

The burger joint looks awesome. I would definitely appreciate a place like that. Sense of humor is everything, well as long as the food is good.

Yeah, Rule #1 is definitely Get The Food Right First. Rule #2 would be to have a sense of humor. :thumbsup2

Your pictures are just all cute and sentimental, especially the one that you took to crash the internet and announce Drew. That's why I like you all so much.

Aw, thanks...what can I say? I guess we're romantics at heart. I'd better insert some more fart jokes so this doesn't get too sappy.

Not to get too ahead of things, but did you look at the Heart Attack Grill in Vegas? We are definitely thinking of adding this to one of our upcoming trips. Looks like some awesome burgers and fries and quite the ambience!

I've read about it and seen it on a Food Network or Travel Channel show somewhere and had a good chuckle. But although the menu would appeal to me greatly, I can't see the servers' attire (or lack thereof) going over well with Julie, nor being something we'd like to discuss with the kids.

We are looking at trying a place called Bach Burger that we'd seen on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives at one point. They serve Asian-fusion-influenced burgers.:confused3

I remember that picture! :thumbsup2 It's hard to believe that Baby Drew is here and growing cuter and bigger everyday and Julie doesn't even look pregnant there.

I'll have to upload some more recent Fat Baby Drew pictures. :thumbsup2

That church is adorable. so cute.

More beautiful scenery pictures.

Glad you enjoyed them!

Bubba's looks like its the burger joint of your dreams. I could definitely see you with all those pictures in your living room. I especially love the "No McDonalds". Too funny. :rotfl2:

I actually don't mind McDonald's once in a while. But eat there too often, and...yeah. Plumbing issues.

So what's this about starting a new TR. Do we have plans for the summer? Inquiring minds always want to know!

Skimmer! :lmao: If only there were some place where we had discussed future travel plans...:rolleyes1 :rotfl2::rotfl:

Just messing with ya. We are doing a loop around the American Southwest. Hoover Dam, Bryce Canyon, Zion, Grand Canyon, Phoenix...and thanks to our new Favorite Person Ever, a day at Disneyland!

OK, now I want a Bubba burger and it's not even 8:30AM! :thumbsup2

It's never too early for a good burger!:thumbsup2

Beautiful pictures of the coast, even if the weather wasn't completely cooperating.

Thanks! I'll have to work on my Weather-inator for next time.

Yea on tacking on DL to the summer plans. :yay: How could you get so close and not go? I've found that babies are easier to travel with than toddlers...better to take the trip when you can put Drew under your arm like a football than when he gets a mind of his own.

:rotfl2::rotfl2: You're right, in some ways babies are easier than toddlers. They haven't learned to say "No!" yet.

Great plans for checking all the states off. Don't you wish it was as fun to fund all these trips as it is to plan them?

::yes:: Amen.

Let me know when you get around to the Chattanooga/GA/AL trip, I can help with that.

Will do, and thank you!

Great pictures! Love the one announcing the baby!

:thanks:

“I gotta find Bubba!”

Hey, Forrest.

Not necessarily :rolleyes1:

But I can see where it might be seen as being somewhat more… ummm…
considerate of those that were dutifully reading along

I’ll go stand over in the corner now…
TR5-013_zps79039473.jpg

Hey, I said was continuing. Sheesh.

caligine circumfusum

per escam circumdedit

Gesundheit.

Words to live by…

well except for the tourist part of it anyway…
When if I’m the tourist in question…

You can go ahead and cheat the rest of ‘em.

As I tourist, I expect to be cheated in most parts of the world.

Which is likely why Julie doesn’t allow you to take on that particular task.

but I gott’a say, the “do stupid things faster” sign…
that reminds me of a great number of folks I know.

Julie will probably just want to hang up pictures of the kids or something. Like anybody wants to look at those. :rolleyes:

A Hawaiian burger joint that knows how to properly incorporate pineapple.
Imagine that…

I'd probably rank the Kua 'Aina burger just ahead of this one.

You could’a gotten the Chili Fries…
Then the cost benefit analysis would have been equal on both sides of the equation.

But saving $2.50 is also a good goal.

Maybe I should have gone with the chili. It's not like $2.50 is going very far in Hawaii, anyway.

Much like the Caribbean

hahanosmiley-1.gif

P’urty pictures though.
Well worth the side trip in their own right.

Well, it was in the show. That's what everybody says, anyway.

Holy Alter Ego, Batman!

Bam! Pow! Zarf! (ever notice how some of those words were utter nonsense?)

Being as Colonel Tom Foolery was recently promoted.

(rimshot)

Looks like something you’d find at Universal Studios.

Subtle, isn't it?

Archaeology is the search for fact… not truth.
If it’s truth you’re interested in, Dr. Tyree’s Philosophy class is right down the hall.

X never, ever marks the spot.

That explains that worldwide communications outage.
I just figured it was an alien invasion or something.

Nope, just us being careless.:thumbsup2

The view you had still trumps my view of it.

You didn't get rained on, at least.

I know that the announcement picture is the general reader’s choice for best
picture of the update… and for obvious (and valid) sentimental reasons.

But I like this one.

It shows the reflective nature of the end of that day
And the looming end of the adventure.

Nice shot there Mark.

Why, thank you, sir.

I have to admit that I laughed when I saw the sign of the Burger joint. Not because it was a burger joint and I know your love of burgers, but because I used to work at a place called "Bubba's." It was a bar back during the disco days. I started as a waitress, brought Mark in after we were dating (he worked at a different bar at the time) and he and I both ended up bartending.

Cool, it's just like that movie Cocktail! Only without Tom Cruise. :rotfl2:

The burgers look delicious, and I love onion rings.

Hard to go wrong with that combo.

I remember that picture of Julie and the kids announcing the impending new Harbeson child!

Some people misunderstood it--they thought it meant Julie was a big kid at heart, or something along those lines. :rotfl:

Beautiful pictures, as always.

:thanks:

Looks like a pretty cool burger joint you found!

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

I just love reading Hawaii updates. So relaxing and beautiful.

Especially my updates, right? You just start reading and...:faint:

Cute pregnancy announcement photo!

Give the credit to Julie...it was her idea.

You know, I was just thinking...not that you need another reason to add Disneyland to your trip...but, now, you have good reason to do a trip report for it. :thumbsup2 (not that you need to have a Disney destination - I just threw a mini-NYC TR in my TR and the closest we got was going to the Disney Store and having a fake creepy Minnie follow us in Times Square :rotfl2: - but it helps to have a Disney park planned!)

Well, I never need much of an excuse to do a TR...if it doesn't involve Disney, I just hide it in the DISDads sub group here. :thumbsup2

But having a Disney aspect means you can reach a wider audience, for sure!

Looks like a winner to me. :thumbsup2

And it worked out pretty well!

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl: I'd save that stuff for the man cave. Or the dog house. Cause that's probably where you'd end up if you put any of it in your living room.

Unfortunately, our man cave budget has been swallowed up by the vacation budget. But I do occasionally get my own bowl of popcorn. :thumbsup2

:eek: :crazy2: Not the "Q" word!!!!!

I knew sooner or later, one of the DISDads would call me out on that one. :thumbsup2

Yes, I'm old. I get it.:rotfl:

Of course she wouldn't move... :lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

:sad2:

::yes:: It was a great way to show everyone how careless... I mean to announce the joyous addition to your family. :thumbsup2

:rotfl2:

demotivational-poster-mistakes.jpg

Where there's a will, there's a way. :thumbsup2

Not how we drew it up, but it worked out all right.

Well it seems like they both might be places that Capt. Sparrow could appreciate... :confused3

True, but I think one more than the other.

Bam! Pow! Zarf! (ever notice how some of those words were utter nonsense?)

What! You mean “FLRBBBBB” isn’t actually a word…

49cdfdafbe05e935ad6933456fdd45d7.jpg

So not all of these are real either?

AIEEE! ARRGH! AWK! AWKKKKKK! BAM! BANG! BIFF! BLOOP! BLURP! BOFF! BONK! CLANK!
CLASH! CLUNK! CRRAACK! CRASH! CRRAACK! CRUNCH! EEE-YOW! FLRBBBBB! GLIPP! GLURPP!
KAPOW! KAYO! KER-SPLOOSH! KERPLOP! KLONK! KLUNK! KRUNCH! OOOFF! OUCH! OWWW! PAM!
PLOP! POW! POWIE! QUNCKKK! RAKKK! RIP! SLOSH! SOCK! SPLATS! SPLATT! SPLOOSH!
SWAAP! SWISH! SWOOSH! THUNK! THWACK! THWACKE! THWAPE! THWAPP! UGGH! URKKK!
VRONK! WHACK! WHAMM! WHAP! Z-ZWAP! ZAM! ZAMMM! ZAP! ZGRUPPP! ZLONK! ZLOPP!
ZLOTT! ZOK! ZOWIE! ZWAPP! ZZWAP! ZZZZZWAP!

I'm particularly like the ones that were episode specific:

BANG-ETH! CLANK-EST! CLUNK-ETH! CRUNCH-ETH! OUCH-ETH!
OW-ETH! WHACK-ETH! WHAM-ETH! ZAP-ETH !

“PAM!” also tickled me a might.
Actually it had me scratching my head and asking:
"why on earth would you write that one",
but it did make me snicker.

49cdfdafbe05e935ad6933456fdd45d7.jpg

CLASH! CLUNK! CRRAACK! CRASH! CRRAACK! CRUNCH! EEE-YOW! FLRBBBBB! GLIPP! GLURPP!
KAPOW! KAYO! KER-SPLOOSH! KERPLOP! KLONK! KLUNK! KRUNCH! OOOFF! OUCH! OWWW! PAM!

Various_Artists_Red_Narf_Day-front-large.jpg

Well, it might be in Papua New Guinea or something.

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

I suppose for the same reason you'd write Beverly? :rotfl:

:thumbsup2 Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

I guess it is a little Goofy to join in this late in your TR, but having read up I have become a Fan so why not. You have a really great looking family, and no that isn't an attempt to get you to take my advice below..........:lmao:

We interrupt this Trip Report to talk a bit about future vacation planning. Mostly because I wanted to ask my dear readers' opinion over whether or not to add thousands of dollars of expenses to the end of trip.

So...do we try and get to Disneyland?
It appears you may have already made up your mind what you are going to do and I know being a big Disney site my opinion may be sacrilege. Even though I have always hesitated to express my opinion....... :rolleyes1 I am going with NOT adding DL to this trip.

In order to do that with the short amount of time you can allot to it, you will have to basically hit just the highlights at DL and/or CA, and that leaves way too much undone that is so special about the parks and what Walt created. Plus, there are so many other things to do in the "area" that you will miss out on getting to do. Anaheim isn't that far from San Diego, so surely you will now want to also visit there and go to their very famous zoo. And the list goes on..........

I'm thinking when Drew is a little older plan a trip to the west coast and take the time to do it right, even if you have to fly into Vegas again for cheaper airfare and make that your origination point. Work in a trip to the Redwood Forest, Yosemite, maybe SF, the Monterrey peninsula area, SD, and enough time at Disneyland to really experience it. There are so many little things there that make it special that you shouldn't miss IMO! :thumbsup2

Soapbox vacated........... on to your latest update.

Loving Bubba's and all the signs. I found myself laughing at all of them. :rotfl2: And I would be all over that combo half fries half rings option! :cloud9:

With that stop behind us, we headed back north, stopping at the Kilauea Bakery again to pick up a pizza for dinner. I noticed that the sign out front says “Kilauea Bakery” and then also reads “Pau Hana Pizza”. So I’m not sure if it goes by one name in the morning and then another at night, sort of like Batman? Come to think of it, I seem to remember a Wayne Enterprises logo on the pizza box.
:rotfl:

Anyway, this beach is a beautiful spot, and we chose to take an important picture here. Julie wanted to post a picture on Facebook to announce the impending arrival of Drew, and she had a certain idea in mind for the picture. She wanted to cave numerals into the sand to count off our kids, with a caption along the lines of “Let’s count the Harbeson kids!” So she worked hard to get legible numbers into the sand and get everybody lined up as I manned the camera. Everything was perfect.

Except for the old lady standing in the water directly behind them. We waited several minutes, but she had evidently found some sort of energy vortex at that particular spot in the ocean, and would. Not. Move.

So we moved down the beach and did the number thing all over again. Here’s the picture we used to announce that Julie and I were careless idio—uh, that baby Drew was on the way:

IMG_2625.jpg
Amazing you were able to keep your deep dark secrets here on the DIS until you were ready to reveal them at the appropriate time. I wonder how often that happens around here............. :confused:

You got some great pictures along the coast, of the double waterfall, and of that neat little church too! :goodvibes

I guess it is a little Goofy to join in this late in your TR, but having read up I have become a Fan so why not. You have a really great looking family, and no that isn't an attempt to get you to take my advice below..........:lmao:

Not goofy at all. :welcome: aboard!

It appears you may have already made up your mind what you are going to do and I know being a big Disney site my opinion may be sacrilege. Even though I have always hesitated to express my opinion....... :rolleyes1 I am going with NOT adding DL to this trip.

In order to do that with the short amount of time you can allot to it, you will have to basically hit just the highlights at DL and/or CA, and that leaves way too much undone that is so special about the parks and what Walt created. Plus, there are so many other things to do in the "area" that you will miss out on getting to do. Anaheim isn't that far from San Diego, so surely you will now want to also visit there and go to their very famous zoo. And the list goes on..........

I'm thinking when Drew is a little older plan a trip to the west coast and take the time to do it right, even if you have to fly into Vegas again for cheaper airfare and make that your origination point. Work in a trip to the Redwood Forest, Yosemite, maybe SF, the Monterrey peninsula area, SD, and enough time at Disneyland to really experience it. There are so many little things there that make it special that you shouldn't miss IMO! :thumbsup2

I can definitely understand that side of it. We were looking at this knowing it would only be a taste of what the place has to offer, and that there would be a lot of meat left on the bone to explore in SoCal and...the middle (MidCal?).

I think the justification was that we would be close, we weren't sure when we would ever get back, and the alternative was 2 days exploring the desert (which could be interesting for a couple of hours, but felt like a blah way to end the vacation). And then Alison came along and dumped a truckload of pixie dust on it, which made the decision a lot easier.

So, we understand that we're only getting a taste, and there's more to explore. But we also know we can't possibly see everything there is to see in the country in the short amount of time we have as a family, so we sometimes have to do the best we can and leave some spots for the future.

Soapbox vacated........... on to your latest update.

Loving Bubba's and all the signs. I found myself laughing at all of them. :rotfl2: And I would be all over that combo half fries half rings option! :cloud9:

Mmmmm...fries and rings....

Amazing you were able to keep your deep dark secrets here on the DIS until you were ready to reveal them at the appropriate time. I wonder how often that happens around here............. :confused:

Oh, like anybody would do that. :rolleyes1

You got some great pictures along the coast, of the double waterfall, and of that neat little church too! :goodvibes

Thank you, sir!:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter