Animation classes???

bauzkraut

Mouseketeer
I will be on the Magic (4 night) in September 2024. Does anyone know if there are animation classes - Like the one at Rafiki Planet Watch at Animal Kingdom? I am a horrible artist, however it is one of my favorite parts of Animal Kingdom.

As far as I know, all the ships offer the Learn To Draw but I don't recall seeing Learn to Animate. But I could have missed it.

Yes, it is like a "learn to draw" class.

Is it something I need to reserve ahead of time?
Are the times listed in the navigator app?
Is this an upcharge activity?

Yes, it is like a "learn to draw" class.

Is it something I need to reserve ahead of time?
Are the times listed in the navigator app?
Is this an upcharge activity?
Yes times in the app, no charge, no reservations. Maybe just arrive 15 minutes early? They have some that are adult only sessions and some for all ages.

Reservations were never needed. And there were always plenty of seats. Only reason to potentially go early would be to pick a good seat to see the screen.

We were on the Magic, and most recently, the cast member was not drawing. You were learning from a Disney Animator on a video. It was not as interesting for me.

I will be on the Magic (4 night) in September 2024. Does anyone know if there are animation classes - Like the one at Rafiki Planet Watch at Animal Kingdom? I am a horrible artist, however it is one of my favorite parts of Animal Kingdom.
They do have learn to draw classes but they aren't nearly as good now as they were pre pandemic IMO. Now they have prerecorded lessons vs the host doing the teaching.

They do have learn to draw classes but they aren't nearly as good now as they were pre pandemic IMO. Now they have prerecorded lessons vs the host doing the teaching.
I don't think it's necessarily the pandemic. We had one cruise in 2021 with a cruise staff member named Gus on the Wonder leading the classes and he was PHENOMENAL. Last year on the Dream in Europe we literally had Don "Ducky" Williams leading a class, which was a total treat. In January on the Magic we had a cruise staff team member leading who was quite good. I can't remember her name.

So really it could be either. I mean, they need to just happen to have a member of cruise staff onboard and available that can draw a variety of characters from memory reasonably well. All those elements aren't necessarily always going to align so it's nice that they have the videos now instead of not offering them at all (which is what they used to have when nobody could teach it).

I don't think it's necessarily the pandemic. We had one cruise in 2021 with a cruise staff member named Gus on the Wonder leading the classes and he was PHENOMENAL. Last year on the Dream in Europe we literally had Don "Ducky" Williams leading a class, which was a total treat. In January on the Magic we had a cruise staff team member leading who was quite good. I can't remember her name.

So really it could be either. I mean, they need to just happen to have a member of cruise staff onboard and available that can draw a variety of characters from memory reasonably well. All those elements aren't necessarily always going to align so it's nice that they have the videos now instead of not offering them at all (which is what they used to have when nobody could teach it).
I follow Gus on social media (@Gusbordel on IG) and shared your post with him. He says hello and was very touched by your words!

Is Gus on the Wonder the same Gus who draws the “donut steel” on each animation when he signs it???

I follow Gus on social media (@Gusbordel on IG) and shared your post with him. He says hello and was very touched by your words!
Aw, that is so wonderful. I'm off to follow him! He truly made our trip magical. He really inspired me to practice drawing the characters and I'm happy to say I'm getting better and better every time. His patience and warmth made a huge impact on me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter