Anna's Coronation Dress

Tropical Wilds

The Command considers us a bunch of losers.
So I've decided to sew Anna's coronation outfit. I already did a version of it for my Princess Half costume, but for some reason, I feel compelled to make it for... Halloween I guess? LoL!

Anyway, anybody have any tips or tricks before I get started? Honestly, the stenciling is what worries me... Not sure how to accomplish that. I think paint won't look great, but embroidery is out of the question.

Screen printing ink. (Basically ink for fabric) google for freezer paper stencil . You could make a stencil, use fabric ink and heat set with an iron.

I use the freezer paper to stencil. A few things to remember or know....

Freezer paper has a paper side and a plastic side. You want to put the paper side face up, and the plastic side next to the fabrics right side. BUT you don't want to use this on any fabric that has a nap, like velvet, or corduroy, or some satin face fabrics. It can pull the fuzzy side of the fabric off when you remove the freezer paper....

I have had the best luck using a medium to thick body fabric paint, with a stencil brush. I never brush against the edge of the stencil, but from about 1/8" to 1/2" from the cut lip of the freezer paper toward the fabric. This is so the paint doesn't go under the freezer paper stencil and mess up the design. However, plan on some of it to do just that. I fix it by outlining the dry design with tulip paint to finish the edges, add details that are to fine to stencil, add contrast and fix any mistakes.

Do a test stencil on the fabric you plan to use before making the garment. Some times it is best to iron a solid piece of freezer paper on the back of your fabric before you iron the stencil on the front...Do another test...I usually test fabric, different paints and so on...

I have had a ton of luck using Sheva metallic oil sticks with the freezer paper. I let them dry a few days, then iron them after removing the freezer paper, directions are online. I then outline and do detail work with tulip paint or something like that...

If you make a mistake sometimes you get lucky and can wash it out...sometimes....it really depends on what you are using.

I have used a lot of products from Jacquard, Tulip, WalMart craft stuff and so on. There are great tutorials at Dharma Trading company. They have a ton of info on more products then you will need.

Did I mention to do a few tests with different fabric you might use and different paints?...:rotfl: Really can save your sanity in the long run!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter