Annoying EPCOT Rumor

k5xs

DIS Veteran
A vlogger for whom I have a lot of respect reports today that GotG and Moana were both proposed originally as non-IP projects. GotG was proposed as the same action ride, but with an educational theme, teaching about the Big Bang.

I find this fascinating. I would have frankly preferred it to have not been branded with a movie franchise. I’m still in love with the original EPCOT vision.

I for one think it's great they "injected" ip for GotG if that's what they actually did. I can't imagine this ride without the awesome music which is fitting for this ride. What would be played with the "Big Bang" ? Nothing I can think of.

While I understand and respect the nostalgia factor of the original idea/plan for Epcot, I am not really fussed by the injection of IP either. The educational route may have been a good angle for it's time, but the pace of change is so accelerated now, I think going the IP route keeps from having to constantly deal with the outdated feel of the educational aspect of attractions.

A vlogger for whom I have a lot of respect reports today that GotG and Moana were both proposed originally as non-IP projects. GotG was proposed as the same action ride, but with an educational theme, teaching about the Big Bang.

I find this fascinating. I would have frankly preferred it to have not been branded with a movie franchise. I’m still in love with the original EPCOT vision.
I would have loved it if they went the Big Bang route. I find there is way too much IP in the parks. Some of Disney's best attractions aren't IP based.

Really, anything is an IP, be it park original, a Disney movie, or an acquisition. I mean, Pirates of the Caribbean was original to the parks, but with all the movies now, how is it any different than something like Guardians. As far as I'm concerned it doesn't matter as long as it's a great ride!

It's clear their plans for Epcot's future took a hard turn after the success of Frozen. I love the original theme of Epcot that had limited park IP and had that more educational, forward looking focus and cultural celebration of humanity. I'm dreading the point where they decide it's time to "update" what was Future World west.

GoG is more engaging with the IP added, but it's not going to age well once Guardians is not an active part of MCU development.

I do wonder how long they sat on the Big Bang coaster idea... makes me question how many new rides they have waiting in the wings with some executive saying it needs more cowbell (IP) and it's good to go.

It's clear their plans for Epcot's future took a hard turn after the success of Frozen. I love the original theme of Epcot that had limited park IP and had that more educational, forward looking focus and cultural celebration of humanity. I'm dreading the point where they decide it's time to "update" what was Future World west.

GoG is more engaging with the IP added, but it's not going to age well once Guardians is not an active part of MCU development.

I do wonder how long they sat on the Big Bang coaster idea... makes me question how many new rides they have waiting in the wings with some executive saying it needs more cowbell (IP) and it's good to go.
But doesn't Disney hold the levers to whether that's true or not. I think this is why an IP route tends to make more sense from a business perspective. We are kind of of seeing this with Avatar 2 right? Of course past performance is no guarantee of future returns.

But doesn't Disney hold the levers to whether that's true or not. I think this is why an IP route tends to make more sense from a business perspective. We are kind of of seeing this with Avatar 2 right? Of course past performance is no guarantee of future returns.
From Disneys perspective it makes sense to add IP to new attractions. It sells the brand and merch. As a guest, at least for me, I hate it. IMO it's a cheap way out. Look at Frozen, a cheap way to get that IP into the parks.

I came across this video yesterday and it explains it better than I can.

Personally I have come to the realization that the original theme of Epcot and emphasis on edutainment is more or less gone and Disney management is more focused on injecting IP into the park. This started with the retheme of El Rio Del Tiempo into Grand Fiesta Tour and the Living Seas adding Finding Nemo characters but didn't start getting criticized heavily until Maelstrom was replaced with Frozen. I don't have an issue with IP in the parks if it's done well and if I'm going to be honest a lot of it has ended up being underwhelming and that is the main reason in my opinion that a lot of people hate IP in Epcot.

I would've loved to see another non-IP ride added to Epcot but I know I'm in the minority. Most people want Guardians and yeah, the ride is fun but in my opinion the theming is very underwhelming. I don't love that it's mainly screen based and half of me wonders if that is so when the Guardians become outdated, they can just swap out the footage for another property for an easy retheme.

From Disneys perspective it makes sense to add IP to new attractions. It sells the brand and merch. As a guest, at least for me, I hate it. IMO it's a cheap way out. Look at Frozen, a cheap way to get that IP into the parks.

I came across this video yesterday and it explains it better than I can.
I dont disagree about Frozen by the way - that was plain lazy IMHO - but it's not like I am missing Maelstrom either lol

Personally I have come to the realization that the original theme of Epcot and emphasis on edutainment is more or less gone and Disney management is more focused on injecting IP into the park. This started with the retheme of El Rio Del Tiempo into Grand Fiesta Tour and the Living Seas adding Finding Nemo characters but didn't start getting criticized heavily until Maelstrom was replaced with Frozen. I don't have an issue with IP in the parks if it's done well and if I'm going to be honest a lot of it has ended up being underwhelming and that is the main reason in my opinion that a lot of people hate IP in Epcot.

I would've loved to see another non-IP ride added to Epcot but I know I'm in the minority. Most people want Guardians and yeah, the ride is fun but in my opinion the theming is very underwhelming. I don't love that it's mainly screen based and half of me wonders if that is so when the Guardians become outdated, they can just swap out the footage for another property for an easy retheme.
I think this is exactly the plan and probably the smart route as it moves into the future. To your other point, I feel like Epcot is heading into a similar identity crisis as HS has with it's hodge-podge of theming. While Galaxy's Edge and Toy Story Land are great executions individually - I don't get what HS is anymore lol :)

I think this is exactly the plan and probably the smart route as it moves into the future. To your other point, I feel like Epcot is heading into a similar identity crisis as HS has with it's hodge-podge of theming. While Galaxy's Edge and Toy Story Land are great executions individually - I don't get what HS is anymore lol :)
I agree. I really miss the golden age of Hollywood/classic movies theme of the park. I still hate how the Great Movie Ride, a ride that combined physical sets, animatronics and Cast Member interaction as well as being a HUGE crowd eater, was changed into a mostly screen-based experience. HS used to be my favorite park as a kid and looking at it now, it's kind of a mess theme wise.

I would hate to see that happen to Epcot. Epcot is a unique park like no other in terms of it's theme and presentation of that theme in the attractions but now it is turning into any old theme park with Disney characters. I hope that when Spaceship Earth gets a refurb IP isn't added into it.

I agree. I really miss the golden age of Hollywood/classic movies theme of the park. I still hate how the Great Movie Ride, a ride that combined physical sets, animatronics and Cast Member interaction as well as being a HUGE crowd eater, was changed into a mostly screen-based experience. HS used to be my favorite park as a kid and looking at it now, it's kind of a mess theme wise.

I would hate to see that happen to Epcot. Epcot is a unique park like no other in terms of it's theme and presentation of that theme in the attractions but now it is turning into any old theme park with Disney characters. I hope that when Spaceship Earth gets a refurb IP isn't added into it.
Its funny, I was thinking about Spaceship Earth - think Buzz's Space Ranger Station lol ... Although, when I think about it as a ride though - how many times can I really thank the Phoenicians for the alphabet ... The Land is in the same boat (pun intended), I head more announcements during my last three rides on that attraction - for people to keep their hands (and kids) in the boat - that I couldn't even hear the narrative anymore ...

I am somewhere in-between on this topic.

I agree with the comments about HS. I miss the park identity. I miss the the sorcerers hat, even if it was blocking the view of the grand theatre. But mostly I miss the Studio Backlot Tour and the Great Movie Ride. I felt that those 2 rides kinda identified the park to me as a celebration of Hollywood. Now it's just kinda....a bunch of rides.

Epcot had really 2 purposes. The front area (Future World) was educational about the world around us, and the World Showcase was education about the cultures of the world. I do not have a problem with IP per se. But I do hate to lose the identity. I am not a fan of three caballeros, BUT I feel it still fits.... It's inside Mexico, and you still have all the culture there. The ride still showcases the Mexico streets.

As much as I morn the loss of the DreamMaker, again I still feel that at least Imagination BELONGS. It teaches imagination, but Figment is your instructor.

I did not feel like the Nemo update to the living seas fits. The ride doesn't teach anything. It's just showing.... nemo. Once you get to the seas area, at least it retains that part.

Test Track I really dislike. The old test track that showed that they were engaging antilock brakes, and what happened when they did, I felt was really cool and it was neat to see that technology in action (I never disabled them in my car and tried to skid on ice....). It would have ben really cool to do something based on self driving, or hybrids, or whatever else is coming down the pike in automotive safety.

I would not have minded some educational material in GotG but with the IP involved. To me that honors what EPCOT is meant to be. I am not however a fan of a straight up IP ride. I.E. I want the parks to retain their identity, but I do not mind IP mixed in as long as the park still retains a theme and is not just a collection of rides. Just like in MK, I would not like to see Space Mountain in Frontier Land, or PoTC in Tomorrowland, I think each park needs to maintain it's identity. If GotG would work by picking it up and plopping it into the middle of HS, then it's the wrong ride for EPCOT. You should be able to look at the ride by itself and say "This ride belongs in Animal Kingdom", or it's poorly themed.

Does that make sense?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter