Annual Reading Challenge--2020

#18/60
Kingdomtide by Rye Curtis
The sole survivor of a plane crash, seventy-two-year-old Cloris Waldrip finds herself lost and alone in the unforgiving wilderness of Montana's rugged Bitterroot Range, exposed to the elements with no tools beyond her wits and ingenuity. Intertwined with her story is Debra Lewis, a park ranger struggling with addiction, a recent divorce, and a new mission: to find and rescue Cloris.
As Cloris wanders mountain forests and valleys, subsisting on whatever she can find as her hold on life grows more precarious, Ranger Lewis and her motley group of oddball rescuers follow the trail of clues she's left behind. Days stretch into weeks, and hope begins to fade. But with nearly everyone else giving up, Ranger Lewis stays true until the end.

Ok, I really liked this one, but....I bolded the part about the ranger & oddball rescuers because they were really oddball, lol. So oddball that I think the story would have been better if they had been less oddball. I think it took away from the book as a whole. But still pretty good.

The Art of Love by A.B. Michaels. The first book in a series called the Golden City. Set in New York, Alaska and California in the late 1800's. It was free; I finally got through it and have no intention of reading further in the series.

The Librarian of Auschwitz by Antonio Iturbe. Historical fiction based on a real person. Dita is 9 years old when the Nazi's force her family to move for the first time. There follows a series of moves, each one into a worse situation. She is 16 years old when she is liberated from the final one. One of the locations she was in was Auschwitz where she became involved in a clandestine school serving as the "librarian" of its hidden books. This book was mentioned in the 2019 thread but it took me a while to get to it but it was an interesting read. Thanks Simba's Mom.

17 & 18 of 80

The Librarian of Auschwitz by Antonio Iturbe. Historical fiction based on a real person. Dita is 9 years old when the Nazi's force her family to move for the first time. There follows a series of moves, each one into a worse situation. She is 16 years old when she is liberated from the final one. One of the locations she was in was Auschwitz where she became involved in a clandestine school serving as the "librarian" of its hidden books. This book was mentioned in the 2019 thread but it took me a while to get to it but it was an interesting read. Thanks Simba's Mom.

17 & 18 of 80

Glad you enjoyed it. That's one reason why I love this thread-so many great recommendations!

12. A Nantucket Affair by Pamela Kelley A continuation of her series which is light, fluffy and easy to read. There were a few editorial errors which I think reflect the speed that these books are released. All in all a welcome distraction.

10/25 Summer of ‘79 by Elin Hilderbrand

Short story follow up to Summer of ‘69. Thanks to the poster on here who listed it. It was nice to catch up with the characters, even though I had forgotten much of their storylines. It all came back to me. An enjoying, quick read.

24/80 Poppy Harmon and the Hung Jury by Lee Hollis

An easy read, I grabbed it as our library was closing on Monday. Hard to believe mystery about TV stars, bodyguards and murder.

6/30--"One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" Ken Kesey

Finally read this classic. What a great, yet really disturbing novel. I am always ranking the greatest villains in literature and my standby has always been Iago from Othello. However, Satan from Paradise Lost must also be up there and now Nurse Ratched too!

10/30 - Song of the Lion by Anne Hillerman

This novel is part of the continuation of Tony Hillerman's Navajo police series by his daughter Anne. I really enjoyed the book, and it is nice that Anne is continuing her father's series. The writing may not be quite as good as her father's, but I still enjoyed the story and the mystery. I look forward to reading more of her books.

5/40 - Fever by Mary Beth Keane - Mary Beth Keane has written a spectacularly bold and intriguing novel about the woman known as “Typhoid Mary,” the first person in America identified as a healthy carrier of Typhoid Fever. On the eve of the twentieth century, Mary Mallon emigrated from Ireland at age fifteen to make her way in New York City. Brave, headstrong, and dreaming of being a cook, she fought to climb up from the lowest rung of the domestic-service ladder. Canny and enterprising, she worked her way to the kitchen, and discovered in herself the true talent of a chef. Sought after by New York aristocracy, and with an independence rare for a woman of the time, she seemed to have achieved the life she’d aimed for when she arrived in Castle Garden. Then one determined “medical engineer” noticed that she left a trail of disease wherever she cooked, and identified her as an “asymptomatic carrier” of Typhoid Fever. With this seemingly preposterous theory, he made Mallon a hunted woman. The Department of Health sent Mallon to North Brother Island, where she was kept in isolation from 1907 to 1910, then released under the condition that she never work as a cook again. Yet for Mary—proud of her former status and passionate about cooking—the alternatives were abhorrent. She defied the edict.

6/40 - Cryptid Zoo by Gerry Griffiths - As a child, rare and unusual animals, especially cryptid creatures, always fascinated Carter Wilde. Now that he’s an eccentric billionaire and runs the largest conglomerate of high-tech companies all over the world, he can finally achieve his wildest dream of building the most incredible theme park ever conceived on the planet…CRYPTID ZOO. Even though there have been apparent problems with the project, Wilde still decides to send some of his marketing employees and their families on a forced vacation to assess the theme park in preparation for Opening Day. Nick Wells and his family are some of those chosen and are about to embark on what will become the most terror-filled weekend of their lives—praying they survive.

7/40 - Fantasticland by Mike Bockoven -
Since the 1970s, FantasticLand has been the theme park where "Fun is Guaranteed!" But when a hurricane ravages the Florida coast and isolates the park, the employees find it anything but fun. Five weeks later, the authorities who rescue the survivors encounter a scene of horror. Photos soon emerge online of heads on spikes outside of rides and viscera and human bones littering the gift shops, breaking records for hits, views, likes, clicks, and shares. How could a group of survivors, mostly teenagers, commit such terrible acts? Presented as a fact-finding investigation and a series of first-person interviews, FantasticLand pieces together the grisly series of events. Park policy was that the mostly college-aged employees surrender their electronic devices to preserve the authenticity of the FantasticLand experience. Cut off from the world and left on their own, the teenagers soon form rival tribes who viciously compete for food, medicine, social dominance, and even human flesh. This new social network divides the ravaged dreamland into territories ruled by the Pirates, the ShopGirls, the Freaks, and the Mole People. If meticulously curated online personas can replace private identities, what takes over when those constructs are lost? FantasticLand is a modern take on Lord of the Flies meets Battle Royale that probes the consequences of a social civilization built online.

8/40 - Creatures of Appetite by Todd Travis -
They call it The Heartland Child Murders. Everyone else calls it a nightmare. Locked doors don't stop him. He leaves no trace behind. He only takes little girls. His nickname: The Iceman. A deranged serial killer roams wintry rural Nebraska with a demented purpose no one can fathom. Special Agent Emma Kane, a former DC cop and damaged goods now with the FBI, is assigned to babysit burnt-out profiler Jacob Thorne, once the best in the business but now said to have lost his edge, as they both fly to Nebraska to catch this maniac. Thorne is erratic, abrasive and unpredictably brilliant, but what he and Kane find in the heartland is much more than anyone bargained for, especially when the Iceman challenges them personally. The clock is ticking and a little girl's life is on the line. And maybe even more with that, once they find out what he's really up to.

I liked all of these.....they were easy reads....I really liked Fever. I was blown away by the lack of knowledge of how one person could infect so many (very appropriate today). Mary refused to believe she was a carrier and kept on cooking and people kept on dying.

Fantasticland showed how fast "civilized" people could try against each other in times of crises (again, appropriate for today's world).

Cryptid Zoo was a knock off of Jurassic Park...it was OK and Creatures of Appetite I really enjoyed until the killer was revealed....I thought it hokey.

MJ

The Intern by Jenifer Ruff. This was another free download that I got on a whim. It turned out to be the third book in a Young Adult Suspense series. Apparently, in each of the prior books the protagonist killed someone who inconvenienced her. In this book, she is now in medical school and has an internship at the Medical Examiners Office. She continues to be a serial killer. It was very graphic in both the description of her murders and the autopsies that did she does in her job. The ending was supposed to be a surprise twist but I saw it coming less than half way in.

19 of 80

8/50 - Those Who Save Us, Jenna Blum - a powerful look at the instinct to survive - makes you think twice about what you would do in the same circumstance
9/50 - My Dear Hamilton, Stephanie Dray - Eliza's view of Alexander Hamilton, one of our country's most intriguing Founding Fathers.

Finished book #4 People of Darkness, by Tony Hillerman. This was the first of the Jim Chee novels (the previous 3 were with Joe Leaphorn), and it just wasn't quite as good as the Leaphorn books. It was still a good mystery, though. On to the next book with Jim Chee, The Dark Wind.

I guess I aimed too low this year:

19/30: Evvie Drake Starts Over by Linda Holmes: This was a classic chick lit with a slightly modern bend to it. Cliche, but engaging read. 5/5

20/30: The Nickel Boys by Colson Whitehead: Historical fiction based off of events at a YDC type school in FL in the mid 1900s. Eye opening and a real page turner, but I didn't always love the writing style. 4/5

10/50 - Lady Clementine, Marie Benedict. It's so true what they say - behind every successful man is a powerful woman! Clementine Churchill was a force.

10/50 - Lady Clementine, Marie Benedict. It's so true what they say - behind every successful man is a powerful woman! Clementine Churchill was a force.
Put in a request at the library thanks!

17/75 - Pucked Over Helen Hunting

Book 3 in the series and my favorite by far. I got laid off on Thursday due to everything shutting down so there will be a lot more updating and reading being done here.

17/75 - Pucked Over Helen Hunting

Book 3 in the series and my favorite by far. I got laid off on Thursday due to everything shutting down so there will be a lot more updating and reading being done here.
Sorry to hear that!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter