Annual Reading Goal Challenge for 2016 - Come and join us!

This has always been one of my favorites. Would love to see this made into a movie.

This is one of my favorite of his novellas! The unanswered questions are just part of the mystery that make your skin crawl a little. Always leave 'em wanting more! A current comparison would be maybe the dystopian governmental system of the Hunger Games. I have always wanted Joss Whedon to direct a film version, I think it would be incredible.

I loved this book UNTIL I read the ending. I felt let down in a way because even to this day I'm not really sure HOW it ended, lol. I guess I'm one of those people who like all the loose ends tied up at the end of the book. I remember finishing and being thorough confused (and I'm still confused!) - NOT how I like to be when a book is done!

OK, now I am curious to read this. I felt that the ending of 11/22/63 wasn't quite right so I don't know if I wll be disappointed with this one too. But I feel almost compelled to give it a try.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. We had the same reaction, I was sobbing at the end. These characters were so real that I really cared. I hope the movie does them justice.

I didn't realise they were making a movie, that will be awesome if they do it properly.

This sounds wonderful, I'm going to add it to my list.

It really was a fabulous book. I love ti when books make you really care.

I'm currently reading the Martian. It's really good.

I did watch the movie when it was in theatres, and you'll be impressed by how well they turned it into a movie. There are a few things different, but mostly because it'd be too hard to explain through images rather than words, I think. :)

This is going on my 'to read' list too.

I'm going to be participating, but cannot set a goal yet. I have followed the threads for the past couple of years, and enjoyed some of the really good recommendations from you guys. :)

Nice to have you here Mary Jo :)

Up next: The Light Between Oceans because of all the good reviews on here :)

I hope you enjoy it.

If it's not too late I would love to join! I have a goal of one book per month.

I finished #1 - "London Under" by Peter Ackroyd - I enjoyed this book more than I anticipated. It is a not-too-detailed account of what can and has been found under the streets of London. This includes unused underground lines, cables, old water pipes, and bits & pieces from antiquity. (If this sort of book interests you I suggest you read "Salt: A World of History" by Mark Kurlansky.) It's just over 200 pages long and very easy to understand. I would say it is informative but not mind-numbingly so. :headache:

Up next: "The Prime Minister's Secret Agent" by Susan Elia MacNeal.

Thanks!

Kristen

Books 1 and 2 done!

"Remember Mia" by Alexandra Burt. Overall I enjoyed the read. Only criticism is that the story moved at a consistent pace until the last 30 pages which covered several years very quickly.

"The War of Art" by Steven Pressfield. Interesting read on following your calling and not giving into what he calls, Resistance.

Here's hoping I can keep up the pace for the rest of the year!

4/40 - The Guest Room, Chris Bohjalian - a bachelor party goes off the rails - big time!! Very well written - your emotions are pulled in very quickly. As usual, his characters are very well drawn and multi-layered. Bohjalian makes the issue of human trafficking very real.

#4 - To Tame A Highland Warrior by Karen Marie Moning

He was born to a clan of warriors of supernatural strength, but Gavrael McIllioch abandoned his name and his Highland castle, determined to escape the dark fate of his ancestors. Hiding his identity from the relentless rival clan that hunted him, he called himself Grimm to protect the people he cared for, vowing never to acknowledge his love for ravishing Jillian St. Clair. Yet even from afar he watched over her, and when her father sent an urgent summons, "Come for Jillian," he raced to her side—into a competition to win her hand in marriage.

This was a quick read, nothing special but enough to fill the time while I'm waiting for a ton of library transport and waitlist books to arrive. The supernatural/mythical subplot made it a little more interesting than the standard and oh-so-trendy Scottish/Highland romance and I enjoyed it well enough, though it wasn't anything remarkable. I'll probably bookmark the others in the series for the next time I have nothing to read and am looking for something that's available immediately through the library's e-book collection.

#5 - Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter

If anyone had told Alice Bell that her entire life would change course between one heartbeat and the next, she would have laughed. From blissful to tragic, innocent to ruined? Please. But that's all it took. One heartbeat. A blink, a breath, a second, and everything she knew and loved was gone.

Her father was right. The monsters are real.

To avenge her family, Ali must learn to fight the undead. To survive, she must learn to trust the baddest of the bad boys, Cole Holland. But Cole has secrets of his own, and if Ali isn't careful, those secrets might just prove to be more dangerous than the zombies.

This was a really fun read and not quite what I expected in that it was a significant departure from the classic Alice in Wonderland story with the 'through the looking glass' being more metaphorical - the seeing of a world that coexists with our own, unnoticed by most people - and the nods to the original mostly symbolic. It was just a really fun, really quick, really engaging young adult read with a kick-butt female protagonist. And zombies. What's not to like? I've already requested the second book in the series from the library.

Up next: DD14 has Between the World and Me from her school library so I'll probably read it this weekend since I'm still #20-something waiting on a copy from the public library. And three of my requests all came in today - Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris (the first Sookie Stackhouse novel), Clockwork Angels by Kevin J Anderson and Rush drummer Neil Peart, and The Two-Income Trap by Elizabeth Warren. So those are up next in no particular order.

#4 Loss of Eden by Joyce Milton. Non fiction about the Lindberghs. Last third dragged a bit but overall I enjoyed. It was pretty cheap on the kindle.

#5 Do I Feel Called by God by Michael Bennet

#6 Serving Without Sinking by John Hindley

#7 Queen Lucia by E.F.Benson. Written in 1920-very funny book and cost a whopping .99c on the kindle.

Piglet'sPal-have you read any of of Lauri R King's books? I have just started the Mary Russell series and think you may like it. Not too expensive to download the first one on the kindle.

If it's not too late I would love to join! I have a goal of one book per month.

I finished #1 - "London Under" by Peter Ackroyd - I enjoyed this book more than I anticipated. It is a not-too-detailed account of what can and has been found under the streets of London. This includes unused underground lines, cables, old water pipes, and bits & pieces from antiquity. (If this sort of book interests you I suggest you read "Salt: A World of History" by Mark Kurlansky.) It's just over 200 pages long and very easy to understand. I would say it is informative but not mind-numbingly so. :headache:

Up next: "The Prime Minister's Secret Agent" by Susan Elia MacNeal.

Thanks!

Kristen

Welcome, I've put you down for 12 books :)

I think the kid learned his lesson as far as you can take a practical joke to far

Well, that's good then :)

Books 1 and 2 done!

4/40 - The Guest Room, Chris Bohjalian - a bachelor party goes off the rails - big time!! Very well written - your emotions are pulled in very quickly. As usual, his characters are very well drawn and multi-layered. Bohjalian makes the issue of human trafficking very real.

#4 - To Tame A Highland Warrior by Karen Marie Moning

#5 - Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter

#4 Loss of Eden by Joyce Milton. Non fiction about the Lindberghs. Last third dragged a bit but overall I enjoyed. It was pretty cheap on the kindle.

#5 Do I Feel Called by God by Michael Bennet

#6 Serving Without Sinking by John Hindley

#7 Queen Lucia by E.F.Benson. Written in 1920-very funny book and cost a whopping .99c on the kindle.

Well done ladies :thumbsup2

I had to put Dragonfly in Amber on hold. It's too big and too slow at times, so I've taken a break. I ended up reading The Martian by Andy Weir.

#1: The Martian by Andy Weir
Six days ago, astronaut Mark Watney became one of the first people to walk on Mars. Now, he's sure he'll be the first person to die there.

After a dust storm nearly kills him and forces his crew to evacuate the planet while thinking him dead, Mark finds himself stranded on Mars' surface, completely alone, with no way to signal Earth that he’s alive — and even if he could get word out, his supplies would be gone years before a rescue could arrive.

Chances are, though, he won't have time to starve to death. The damaged machinery, unforgiving environment or plain-old "human error" are much more likely to kill him first. But Mark's not ready to quit. Armed with nothing but his ingenuity and his engineering skills — and a gallows sense of humor that proves to be his greatest source of strength – he embarks on a dogged quest to stay alive, using his botany expertise to grow food and even hatching a mad plan to contact NASA back on Earth.

As he overcomes one seemingly insurmountable obstacle after the next, Mark begins to let himself believe he might make it off the planet alive – but Mars has plenty of surprises in store for him yet.

Grounded in real, present-day science from the first page to the last, yet propelled by a brilliantly ingenious plot that surprises the reader again and again, The Martian is a truly remarkable thriller: an impossible-to-put-down suspense novel that manages to read like a real-life survival tale.

Five Stars
I admit it, I've watched the movie first. Although that's really the only way I can enjoy a movie based on a novel. Otherwise I'll be thinking of all the differences.

In either case, I really liked this book. I enjoy how it read. The character was smart but also had a few funny things to say despite the predicament he was in.

If you're looking for a science fiction read that is just only slightly out of reach of our own reality, this is it. It's an extremely plausible story that could take place I admit it, I've watched the movie first. Although that's really the only way I can enjoy a movie based on a novel. Otherwise I'll be thinking of all the differences.

In either case, I really liked this book. I enjoy how it read. The character was smart but also had a few funny things to say despite the predicament he was in.

If you're looking for a science fiction read that is just only slightly out of reach of our own reality, this is it. It's an extremely plausible story that could take place in the very near future. The author makes very relatable characters and drags you into the drama, so that you're hoping against hope that Mark Watney will survive.

Piglet'sPal-have you read any of of Lauri R King's books? I have just started the Mary Russell series and think you may like it. Not too expensive to download the first one on the kindle.

Hi portia9! It's good to hear from you. I haven't read any of Lauri R King's books, but we're going to the bookstore today so I'll look for them. Should they be read sequentially or does it not matter? Looking forward to a new series. In return, I recommend Rainy Kirkland's Florida Heat series. They, too, can be downloaded to your kindle.

Hoping for more recommendations from you, a kindred reading spirit.

Queen Colleen

2/35 -- Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard -- Mare Barrow's world is divided by blood--those with common, Red blood serve the Silver- blooded elite, who are gifted with superhuman abilities. Mare is a Red, scraping by as a thief in a poor, rural village, until a twist of fate throws her in front of the Silver court. Before the king, princes, and all the nobles, she discovers she has an ability of her own.

I liked the first book in this YA series enough to keep reading the second one when it gets released. It was a fully-fleshed out first novel as well, not cutting out in the middle of any action like many of these series novels tend to do these days. It has a fantasy, dystopian, comic book abilities/mutant, Hunger Games vibe to it, but the characters are fleshed out better than some other books I have read in this genre and it gets 4 ½ stars on Amazon with over 1200 reviews.

2/35 -- Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard -- Mare Barrow's world is divided by blood--those with common, Red blood serve the Silver- blooded elite, who are gifted with superhuman abilities. Mare is a Red, scraping by as a thief in a poor, rural village, until a twist of fate throws her in front of the Silver court. Before the king, princes, and all the nobles, she discovers she has an ability of her own.

I liked the first book in this YA series enough to keep reading the second one when it gets released. It was a fully-fleshed out first novel as well, not cutting out in the middle of any action like many of these series novels tend to do these days. It has a fantasy, dystopian, comic book abilities/mutant, Hunger Games vibe to it, but the characters are fleshed out better than some other books I have read in this genre and it gets 4 ½ stars on Amazon with over 1200 reviews.

I have this on my to-read list! Sounds interesting.

I just found this thread! I'd like to join in: 20 books. I usually only read what my bookclub does - about 10 books a year but I'd like to challenge myself to read more.

Here is what we read last in 2015:

Thu 29-Jan-2015 The Boys in the Boat, by Daniel James Brown
Thu 05-Mar-2015 The Hours by Michael Cunningham.
Thu 09-Apr-2015 The Art of Racing in the Rain, by Garth Stein
Thu 14-May-2015 The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
Thu 18-Jun-2015 Me Talk Pretty One Day - David Sedaris.
Thu 23-Jul-2015 All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
Thu 27-Aug-2015 The Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline
Thu 01-Oct-2015 Call Me Malala, by Malala
Thu 05-Nov-2015 The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
Thu 10-Dec-2015 Florence Gordon, by Brian Morton

#1 The Storied Life of AJ Fikry by Gabrielle Zevon
A. J. Fikry’s life is not at all what he expected it to be. He lives alone, his bookstore is experiencing the worst sales in its history, and now his prized possession, a rare collection of Poe poems, has been stolen. But when a mysterious package appears at the bookstore, its unexpected arrival gives Fikry the chance to make his life over--and see everything anew.

“This novel has humor, romance, a touch of suspense, but most of all love--love of books and bookish people and, really, all of humanity in its imperfect glory.” -- Eowyn Ivey, author of The Snow Child

“Marvelously optimistic about the future of books and bookstores and the people who love both.” -- The Washington Post

“You won’t want it to end.” -- Family Circle

“A natural for book groups.” -- Richmond Times-Dispatch

“A reader’s paradise of the first order.” -- The Buffalo News

“A fun, page-turning delight.” -- Minneapolis Star Tribune

“Captures the joy of connecting people and books . . . Irresistible.” -- Booklist

“A wonderful, moving, endearing story of redemption and transformation that will sing in your heart for a very, very long time.” -- Garth Stein, author of The Art of Racing in the Rain

“Readers who delighted in The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry, and Letters from Skye will be equally captivated by this novel.” —*Library Journal, starred review

We had our meeting last night. Everyone enjoyed it. It's a quick read. Those that listened to it (including me) didn't care for the voice - very slow.

#4/50: Like the Dawn (Lark, #3) by Erica Cope

From Goodreads:
Mia Carrington has finally done the very thing she was destined to do all along—she's broken the curse on the Dark Elves.

In order to make up for her mistake, Mia has chosen to make the ultimate sacrifice: her mortal life. The Dark Elves are now wreaking havoc on the mortal world while the Light Elves are trying to gain alliances.

It seems now that Dugan has come into full power, nobody is brave enough to help defeat him, and the kingdom of Álfheimr cannot do it alone. It's up to Mia to try to persuade the other kingdoms, Raumelfr and Gautelfr, to join in their fight. Only they seem more concerned with frivolous matters—like who will rule beside Mia when she becomes Queen.

Now that she has taken her place as King Alberico's rightful heir, there is no shortage of suitors seeking her hand. But her heart already belongs to somebody, despite the fact that she believes her choice has separated them forever.

Mia has made her decision to be immortal and there's no turning back now, but every choice has its consequence and, like the dawn must fade into dusk, every beginning has to come to an end.

I'd like to join.

Just finished The Restaraunt Critic's Wife. Good mindless read.

My goal would be 45

I just found this thread! I'd like to join in: 20 books. I usually only read what my bookclub does - about 10 books a year but I'd like to challenge myself to read more.

Here is what we read last in 2015:

Thu 29-Jan-2015 The Boys in the Boat, by Daniel James Brown
How did you like Boys in the Boat? I've had it for about a year but have yet to read it. I'm worried it is too technical about rowing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter