Another perfume vent

disykat

This person totally gets me
It frustrates me that so many people simply don't believe in allergies - especially fragrance allergies.

I ran into a perfume "wall" at MOD pizza the other night. I looked around and immediately identified the source since I ran into the same lady at Starbucks about two years ago. She was sitting on the other side of the small restaurant - at least 50 ft away. My eyes were burning. I got out of there as soon as possible.

My eyes burned all evening. By the next morning, my throat was raw and sore. Then my asthma kicked in. After 72 hours of full on fighting it with every med I have (and I have a lot - nebulizer machine and everything) I'm about ready to call uncle and let them put me on steroids. (Which I hate doing because my neck circumference grows each time I go on them.)

I look like a healthy normal person, but a five minute perfume assault (this was not normal fragrance, it assaulted me from about 50 ft away) sends me into a full on fight which could lead into days, weeks, or even months of an asthma exacerbation.

If people tell you they notice your smell when you are not in intimate contact with them, you are wearing TOO MUCH fragrance. If someone you love wears too much fragrance - tell them! I'm sure that lady is perfectly nice and wasn't trying to hurt me. Why don't her friends/family tell her that they can smell her perfume from across a room?

It frustrates me that so many people simply don't believe in allergies - especially fragrance allergies.

I ran into a perfume "wall" at MOD pizza the other night. I looked around and immediately identified the source since I ran into the same lady at Starbucks about two years ago. She was sitting on the other side of the small restaurant - at least 50 ft away. My eyes were burning. I got out of there as soon as possible.

My eyes burned all evening. By the next morning, my throat was raw and sore. Then my asthma kicked in. After 72 hours of full on fighting it with every med I have (and I have a lot - nebulizer machine and everything) I'm about ready to call uncle and let them put me on steroids. (Which I hate doing because my neck circumference grows each time I go on them.)

I look like a healthy normal person, but a five minute perfume assault (this was not normal fragrance, it assaulted me from about 50 ft away) sends me into a full on fight which could lead into days, weeks, or even months of an asthma exacerbation.

If people tell you they notice your smell when you are not in intimate contact with them, you are wearing TOO MUCH fragrance. If someone you love wears too much fragrance - tell them! I'm sure that lady is perfectly nice and wasn't trying to hurt me. Why don't her friends/family tell her that they can smell her perfume from across a room?

OP, sorry to tell you, but you have an extremely uphill battle! I don't have your allergy, but I get soooo annoyed at people that use half a bottle of cheap perfume just to go grocery shopping! :crazy2:
It affects me as bad as cigarette smoke.

Really can't see a solution, as these people never recognize themselves. But, I really feel bad for people like you that have severe allergies to it.

It could just be a strong perfume.
People can't help that.
I know the Norway perfume is strong and my mom wears it.
She was a nurse for 40 years so never wore perfume much.
She likes to wear it now and she puts a very minimal amount on but its just meant to be strong.
I love perfume and wear various scents regularly.
If I'm going somewhere like a dr's office I keep it a very light scent.
But out in the world I wear what I want.
Especially at Disney in July yeah I like for others to be able to smell it vs my sweaty everything.
Sorry that you land in a small pool that finds themselves with an allergy but not everyone can cater to every thing as I have found out throughout my life as someone with a disability.

Wow, Queen of the WDW scene, you seriously don't care if you are making people sick - potentially even killing them - because you want other people to smell you? People CAN help the fact that they are wearing something strong enough to assault others.

Personally I try to live my life in a way that does not intrude on other people's rights. I would not tell people they don't have the right to smell how they want to EXCEPT when that smell travels well beyond their personal boundaries and assaults other people.

I can't believe you seriously believe the lady I ran into had the right to stink up an entire restaurant. She was very literally 50 ft away.

BTW, If you smell bad enough that people at a place like WDW can smell your sweat beyond a 2 or 3 ft personal boundary, no amount of perfume is going to fix that.

Wow, Queen of the WDW scene, you seriously don't care if you are making people sick - potentially even killing them - because you want other people to smell you? People CAN help the fact that they are wearing something strong enough to assault others.

Personally I try to live my life in a way that does not intrude on other people's rights. I would not tell people they don't have the right to smell how they want to EXCEPT when that smell travels well beyond their personal boundaries and assaults other people.

I can't believe you seriously believe the lady I ran into had the right to stink up an entire restaurant. She was very literally 50 ft away.

BYW, If you smell bad enough that people at a place like WDW can smell your sweat, no amount of perfume is going to fix that.
People do have the right to wear perfume. Just because it bothers someone does not mean they no longer have that right.
Just like you have the right to your opinion and I mine.
Also did I say I wear extremely strong perfumes? No. Just that that is the nature of certain ones.
You know it's an allergy for you so you should take appropriate precautions for it. I suggest you speak to your dr.

Last edited:
It could just be a strong perfume.
People can't help that.
I know the Norway perfume is strong and my mom wears it.
She was a nurse for 40 years so never wore perfume much.
She likes to wear it now and she puts a very minimal amount on but its just meant to be strong.
I love perfume and wear various scents regularly.
If I'm going somewhere like a dr's office I keep it a very light scent.
But out in the world I wear what I want.
Especially at Disney in July yeah I like for others to be able to smell it vs my sweaty everything.
Sorry that you land in a small pool that finds themselves with an allergy but not everyone can cater to every thing as I have found out throughout my life as someone with a disability.

Yes. You have the right to wear whatever fragrance you like. Just keep in mind, most people probably don’t like the scent, no matter how light you think it might be, especially in the doctor’s office or any other confined space.

Yes. You have the right to wear whatever fragrance you like. Just keep in mind, most people probably don’t like the scent, no matter how light you think it might be, especially in the doctor’s office or any other confined space.
Irk. I often like scents others are wearing. I don't often wear much of a scent to church but I smell a number of scents there that are enjoyable to my nose. It also shows me that I'm not the only one that wears perfume. OP seems to prefer that people not wear perfume at all and I'm just trying to get across that you cannot and should not expect that.

People do have the right to wear perfume. Just because it bothers someone does not mean they no longer have that right.
Just like you have the right to your opinion and I mine.
Also did I say I wear extremely strong perfumes? No. Just that that is the nature of certain ones.
You know it's an allergy for you so you should take appropriate precautions for it. I suggest you speak to your dr.

I did not say people don't have a right to wear perfume. Many people wear perfume without assaulting anyone. I said people don't have a right to wear something that assaults people from across the room. You are not listening. Do people smell your perfume from across the room? Apparently they do since you are taking this so personally? I do take lots of precautions and am certainly under medical care for my allergies as I mentioned in my first post. However, I'm sure you can understand that not being able to leave my home is a precaution I'd rather not take.

At church, I change seats. Some weeks I have to move several times. Fortunately I've never had to deal with someone whose perfume filled the entire space in a church situation. This particular lady is the only person I've ever run across that filled a restaurant. Usually my biggest issues are ticketed events/travel with assigned seating. This was an issue of an entire room being filled with the perfume.

Last edited:
A lot of perfumes give me immediate headaches so I can relate. We were out to dinner a few weeks ago and a woman two tables over had on so much perfume I swear I could taste it. It ruined the meal for me. I don’t know how the other people at her table could stand it.

I find my self wondering what precautions you’re supposed to take for a scent allergy? Go out with a gas mask? It seem to me that expecting people to be considerate of others is not that much to ask.

Fragrance (perfume, cologne, etc.) should be intimate. It should not be detectable from more than an arm's length away. And, hospitals nestly, wearing fragrance anywhere others are likely to have medical issues - like a medical facility - isn't reasonable. One person's desire to be attrracting doesn't outweigh another person's need to breathe.

I did not say people don't have a right to wear perfume. Many people wear perfume without assaulting anyone. I said people don't have a right to wear something that assaults people from across the room. You are not listening. Do people smell your perfume from across the room? Apparently they do since you are taking this so personally? I do take lots of precautions and am certainly under medical care for my allergies as I mentioned in my first post. However, I'm sure you can understand that not being able to leave my home is a precaution I'd rather not take.

At church, I change seats. Some weeks I have to move several times. Fortunately I've never had to deal with someone whose perfume filled the entire space in a church situation. This particular lady is the only person I've ever run across that filled a restaurant.

I think she knows exactly what she’s doing...:stir:

I sympathize with you, but don’t expect much sympathy. Believe me, I’ve read many, many posters say they’ll eat whatever they want, even if it is going to endanger someone else.

Irk. I often like scents others are wearing. I don't often wear much of a scent to church but I smell a number of scents there that are enjoyable to my nose. It also shows me that I'm not the only one that wears perfume. OP seems to prefer that people not wear perfume at all and I'm just trying to get across that you cannot and should not expect that.
You may not be sensitive to scents, but your comments come across as being pretty insensitive to others. Many workplaces are now scent free environments. To me it would be common sense to think about where you’re going before you put on perfume. A doctors office or church are not the place for perfume.

You may not be sensitive to scents, but your comments come across as being pretty insensitive to others. Many workplaces are now scent free environments. To me it would be common sense to think about where you’re going before you put on perfume. A doctors office or church are not the place for perfume.
I have a disability myself so I know what it's like for people to not be sensitive to my needs. I just deal with it so I guess that has made me less sympathetic towards others.

Last edited:
I have a disability myself so I know what it's like for people to not be sensitive to my needs. I just deal with it so I guess that has made me less sympathetic towards others.
Being insensitive to a visual disability doesn't put the other person's life at risk. Being insensitive to someone's breathing disability, well, does.

Being insensitive to a visual disability doesn't put the other person's life at risk. Being insensitive to someone's breathing disability, well, does.
Technically a visually impaired person could die from someone being insensitive. I've nearly been run over more times than I could count because people don't want to pay attention. But ok.

At church, I change seats. Some weeks I have to move several times. Fortunately I've never had to deal with someone whose perfume filled the entire space in a church situation. This particular lady is the only person I've ever run across that filled a restaurant. Usually my biggest issues are ticketed events/travel with assigned seating. This was an issue of an entire room being filled with the perfume.

Nobody wearing perfume assaults anyone by the mere act of wearing it and when you're using such inflammatory rhetoric, you shouldn't be surprised if someone takes that rather personally and becomes less receptive or outright hostile to your point of view because of it.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter