Antarctica!

I am SO excited for this; I've wanted an ABD Antarctica trip for forever! The short time isn't a problem for me, since I can't take off a lot of time from work (when I took the S.Africa ABD in 2018, getting that much time off was...A Thing). I'd like to do this but after I reschedule my (canceled) Disney cruise and my (canceled) Egypt ABD from last year. I'd also much prefer an Adults Only itinerary.

I've shared this before (other options thread, maybe?), but for those of you interested in once-in-a-lifetime Antarctica cruise this one looks amazing and makes the ABD look cheap :) https://www.zegrahm.com/expedition/...tarctica-south-georgia-november-2021/overview It sounds epic. I'd consider it, but Antarctica is 5-10 years away for me. I want to front load my really active trips while the 50+-year-old knees can take it. I did an amazing trip with Zeagrahm in 2019 that went to the Western Isles and the Faroes. I wouldn't hesitate to travel with them again. For expedition cruising, they were really top notch. Not for kids though so a big difference with the ABD product.

I've shared this before (other options thread, maybe?), but for those of you interested in once-in-a-lifetime Antarctica cruise this one looks amazing and makes the ABD look cheap :) https://www.zegrahm.com/expedition/...tarctica-south-georgia-november-2021/overview It sounds epic. I'd consider it, but Antarctica is 5-10 years away for me. I want to front load my really active trips while the 50+-year-old knees can take it. I did an amazing trip with Zeagrahm in 2019 that went to the Western Isles and the Faroes. I wouldn't hesitate to travel with them again. For expedition cruising, they were really top notch. Not for kids though so a big difference with the ABD product.
Is there any chance that Zegrahm uses space on a Quark Expeditions ship? I recognized the ship and it appears to be the same trip as this one. The Quark trip starts at $15,295.00 but it might include less. I have posted my thoughts on Quark on this board before, so I will just say that I would not recommend anyone travel with them.

19 days wow! But the itinerary only allows for one day of exploring Antarctica and 3 in South Georgia on a ship that carries 172 passengers.

I'm looking at going back to Antarctica but also to include South Georgia and the Falkland Islands next time. I will go with Lindblad again because they have the itinerary I like and I'm planning to travel hack it and not pay a dime to do it :thumbsup2

https://www.expeditions.com/destina...alklands/dates-rates/detail?departureId=36404
I really like the itinerary, it's 23 nights with 6 days exploring Antarctica, 5 in South Georgia and 2 in the Falklands. I think you get more bang for your buck for very similar pricing. Yes, it makes ABD look downright inexpensive. We did Antarctica for my 50th becasue I wanted to be able to do it while I could physically. We both were required to provide notes from our doctors stating we were physically fit enough to go on the trip. If ABD had Antarctica as an option at the time, I would have traveled with ABD.

Is there any chance that Zegrahm uses space on a Quark Expeditions ship? I recognized the ship and it appears to be the same trip as this one. The Quark trip starts at $15,295.00 but it might include less. I have posted my thoughts on Quark on this board before, so I will just say that I would not recommend anyone travel with them.

It does look like the same ship. I wouldn't be surprised if they are sharing. Zegrahm definitely doesn't have their own ships. I wasn't actually booked with Z when I went on the trip, it was through Stanford Alumni travel. There was also a small birdwatcher group on the ship. The Z leader on this Antarctica trip (Dan) is one of the leaders from our trip, and he was incredible. Loved their staff.

19 days wow! But the itinerary only allows for one day of exploring Antarctica and 3 in South Georgia on a ship that carries 172 passengers.

I'm looking at going back to Antarctica but also to include South Georgia and the Falkland Islands next time. I will go with Lindblad again because they have the itinerary I like and I'm planning to travel hack it and not pay a dime to do it :thumbsup2

https://www.expeditions.com/destina...alklands/dates-rates/detail?departureId=36404
I really like the itinerary, it's 23 nights with 6 days exploring Antarctica, 5 in South Georgia and 2 in the Falklands. I think you get more bang for your buck for very similar pricing. Yes, it makes ABD look downright inexpensive. We did Antarctica for my 50th becasue I wanted to be able to do it while I could physically. We both were required to provide notes from our doctors stating we were physically fit enough to go on the trip. If ABD had Antarctica as an option at the time, I would have traveled with ABD.
That sounds like an awesome itinerary. My trip to the Isles/Faroes was really long (I think around 23 days?), and I was shocked how fast it went. We were so busy. My mom went to Antarctica right before the shut downs and loved it.

It does look like the same ship. I wouldn't be surprised if they are sharing. Zegrahm definitely doesn't have their own ships. I wasn't actually booked with Z when I went on the trip, it was through Stanford Alumni travel. There was also a small birdwatcher group on the ship. The Z leader on this Antarctica trip (Dan) is one of the leaders from our trip, and he was incredible. Loved their staff.

That sounds like an awesome itinerary. My trip to the Isles/Faroes was really long (I think around 23 days?), and I was shocked how fast it went. We were so busy. My mom went to Antarctica right before the shut downs and loved it.
Faroes is on my list too!!

I'm looking at going back to Antarctica but also to include South Georgia and the Falkland Islands next time. I will go with Lindblad again because they have the itinerary I like and I'm planning to travel hack it and not pay a dime to do it
I am constantly amazed at how you pull off your travel hacks - have fun with this one!

The December trip is now showing wait list.... my family will be spending Christmas on the Antarctic Peninsula and we are excited. Lots of good information above on the thread, for us it came down to how much time we're really able to get away. Fingers crossed that it's a trip of a lifetime!

The December trip is now showing wait list.... my family will be spending Christmas on the Antarctic Peninsula and we are excited. Lots of good information above on the thread, for us it came down to how much time we're really able to get away. Fingers crossed that it's a trip of a lifetime!
Congrats to you! Can’t wait for a trip report and/or some thoughts on your experiences.

I’ll admit, I’m a bit surprised it fully booked up on the AbD advance days. May have to rethink AbD vs other options, I’ve been doing my research on various companies, what’s included,pricing, etc.

Not sure I want to be on a ship until late 2022, experience sea sickness or the Drake earthquake someone mentioned, nor pay this price. I'd wait until there was trip reviews as well.
this right here just sealed the deal for me that I cannot handle this and would have to fly over the passage. I can't even read about that experience without having a panic attack.

this right here just sealed the deal for me that I cannot handle this and would have to fly over the passage. I can't even read about that experience without having a panic attack.
There is medication that you can take that will really help. The trick is to take it 1 day before the ship reaches the passage (each direction). Neither dd nor I nor our friends had any issues with the passage. From talking to many passengers that were sick, they did not take the medication until we hit serious swells, which is too late. I would not let it stop you from going, it is the trip of a lifetime and I would go again in a heartbeat.

There is medication that you can take that will really help. The trick is to take it 1 day before the ship reaches the passage (each direction). Neither dd nor I nor our friends had any issues with the passage. From talking to many passengers that were sick, they did not take the medication until we hit serious swells, which is too late. I would not let it stop you from going, it is the trip of a lifetime and I would go again in a heartbeat.
I think I'm going to have to fly versus sailing across that passage - it sounds like that's an option but I'm just at the VERY beginning stages (obviously) of researching this trip for 2023 or 24. I have a serious fear of open water, and while I've gone on cruises (and we own a boat! LOL but on a lake) and am fine, even the smallest rocking or swells would send me into a coma. Literally can't even think about rough waters. So I will be investigating flying options. :)

Keep in mind EVERYTHING on a trip like this is weather dependent in this unpredictable part of the world, not just the two Drake's passage crossings; that includes any flight across it as well as conditions when you are along the peninsula in a smallish-is ship and making zodiac landings. The winds can be extremely fierce.

We were lucky to have Drake's Lake instead of Drake's Shake both ways but we know folks who had many of their landings cancelled due to high winds and/or rough seas. With the number of people who can land at any one time limited, you will spend a fair amount of time on the ship preparing for and waiting for your turn to land. Weather conditions--wind, fog, rough seas, snow, sleet--can change in an instant throughout the day.

Just understand and be be prepared to accept that, to a certain extent, nature will dictate where you go, what you do and how you feel on this incredibly expensive trip of a lifetime. It is a privilege to see this isolated, pristine, immense, indescribable part of the world.

IMG_0756.JPGIMG_0450.JPGIMG_0585.JPGIMG_0851.JPG

For what it's worth, my wife and I toured the Antarctica Peninsula with Tauck exactly 1 year ago today (before the world changed...). Like ABD, Tauck uses Ponant - we were on Le Boreal. We did the Drake crossing (there and back) with 5 full days exploring the Peninsula on foot and in zodiacs. I am more than happy to answer any questions anyone may have about what you can expect - including itinerary, boots, parkas, ship, logistics, guides, etc. etc.

Just FYI: We also did Galapagos a few years back with Tauck, but we were on a different (smaller) boat vs. what ABD is using there.

For what it's worth, my wife and I toured the Antarctica Peninsula with Tauck exactly 1 year ago today (before the world changed...). Like ABD, Tauck uses Ponant - we were on Le Boreal. We did the Drake crossing (there and back) with 5 full days exploring the Peninsula on foot and in zodiacs. I am more than happy to answer any questions anyone may have about what you can expect - including itinerary, boots, parkas, ship, logistics, guides, etc. etc.

Yes, please! Whatever information you can share would be appreciated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter