"Anti-war" protesters vandalize 9/11 Memorial

If you read the article Bob it says that 3 people out of all the protesters there did the vandalism. . not sure how that proves anything but that those 3 were morons and criminals. . .

I don't see why they haven't been arrested whether the property owner wants to press charges or not. . . serious question Bob: if you as a police officer saw someone detroying personl property like that, wouldn't you have just cause to just bust them? Why would they have to wait to see what the property owner wanted to do??

THE LADY IN THE PICTURE DID NOT DO THE VANDALISM!!!

Sorry to yell but some people are jumping to the wrong conclusion. The caption under the photo says "Tracey Chandler of Whittier displays an American flag that has been burned and slashed by vandals near the informal September 11 memorial on Whittier Boulevard." In the article she is referenced as such: "Tracey Chandler, a Whittier mother of four who has maintained the spontaneous memorial since it was created by other area residents soon after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, said she was shocked by the destruction..."

It just bothered me that is was assumed by some that she was one of those who were violent and destructive.

If you saw someone committing property damage and can determine they arent the owners of the property they could be detained for questioning or maybe charged with disorderly conduct, but for them to be charged with criminal damage to property you would need a victim to come forward and make a complaint, unless its government property then the police dept or city would be the complaining party.
Willy my comments were more general in nature in regards to the anit-war protests and who we have seen at the rallies,the signs they have carried and the sponsors of the rallies and these have tended to be the ones in major metropolitian area's.

Thanks Bob; I appreciate the explanation, and I certaintly agree that at least some of the more visable protesters have acted in an obnoxious and bizzare manner. . .

PlanoGirl- thank you for pointing out the facts behind the picture; a good example of how easy it is to jump to conclusions these days, and to be honest, I assumed it was one of the vandals without looking closer myself. . :)

Can you imagine how the families and friends of the people who were murdered in the Twin Towers, the Pentagon and Pennslvania feel about this desecration? Sure, they have the right to protest but I don't think you shold EVER have the right to burn or destroy Old Glory! That symbol of our country is what gives them the right to voice their protest (you don't see Irakis that disagree with Soddom Hussain marching up and down in front of the palace, do you? If they disagree, they wind up on the wrong end of a bullet! And you can believe I will voice my opinion of Hollywood actors and celebrities who use their popularity and power to push their views...with the all mighty dollar! Martin Sheen, Alex Baldwin, Garanflo(sp) and others can forget my paying to see their pictures. I'm sure my little $6.75 theatre ticket won't hurt them, but it 50,000 people felt the same way, it would!

Sorry for the soapbox..it just angers me that people seem to have forgotten what hapened on September 11th....when you forget history, history repeats itself.

One question here - it may have been 3 that did the actual damaging of the memorial and burning the flag - apparently none of the other protesters thought it was over the top and tried to stop it. Why? Doesn't that make them look bad, too? To me it does.

Originally posted by donald's daisy
One question here - it may have been 3 that did the actual damaging of the memorial and burning the flag - apparently none of the other protesters thought it was over the top and tried to stop it. Why? Doesn't that make them look bad, too? To me it does.

Maybe the other protesters did try to stop it. Maybe they succeeded in doing so. Maybe they didn't. Maybe they agreed with everything that was happening. It's hard to know what people thought or did while they were there, without hearing from those involved. :)

That symbol of our country is what gives them the right to voice their protest

actually, no the flag does not give people the right to voice their protest. the constitution and the way it has been interpreted by the supreme court does.

and, fyi, i had a friend die on 9/11, and i have no problem with people destroying the flag as a symbol of protest. am i sad and disturbed that people wrecked a 9/11 memorial? of course i am. but to me, that and the flag issue are seperate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter