• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any big families that can help with my budget?

mrsbornkuntry

<font color=FF6666>I'm worried about raccoons<br><
We're planning on going April 2nd-8th. There are 2 adults and 5 children ages 9, 8, 6, 4, and 2. I tried to overestimate everything a little, but I'm still worried that I'm not bringing enough money. Here's our budget so far:

3 day PH and Portofino Inn 6 nights: 1208 (already paid)
gas round trip from WA: 350
parking, stroller, locker, etc: 100
Club Libby Lu for DD: 30
ESPN Zone (not to eat, just arcade): 50
Legoland tickets: 198
Medieval Times: 212
Food: 1400
souvies: 700
hotel for drive down and back: free (cc points)
Total: 4248

Is there anything I'm forgetting? And is that about right for ESPN Zone for DH and 3 DS's? They're going to play there while I take DD to Club Libby Lu. I'd appreciate any help, I can't find alot of budget info for what other large families have spent. :confused3

Oh, and we will be taking some food for our room and for the drive for breakfast and snacks, although we will eat some of those out as well.

Wow that looks pretty good. We have a family of 6 (4 kids) and we drove from Boise, with a stopover in Las Vegas because my family lives there. In our suburban, gas was alot! What kind of vehicle are you taking? That is really good gas mileage from Washington state. :teeth:

You are really lucky. I think you guys will have a great time!

We're driving a Town and Country (minivan). I used the AAA fuel calculator and it said $228 round trip, then I added to that for driving once we're down there and incidentals (getting lost ;) , etc.). AAA estimated 24 mpg for our van, but DH thinks it's closer to 20.

Fill your tanks in Oregon. That's where the cheapest gasoline can be found countrywide. ;)

have fun.

mrsbornkuntry - I'm glad to see another big family on the board. We have seven in our family (kids 12,8,6,3,6mo) and will be in DL those exact dates. It's always a challenge for us to find a nice inexpensive hotel. Fortunatly we share rooms (or suites) with my SIL's family of seven. We have a blast. I think your budget looks good and don't forget to stop worrying once you get there and just have a magical time. :banana:

I only have a family of four but the food budget amount you left yourself has me a little worried. You are traveling for seven days right. That leaves you two hundred a day for seven people, for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
That is about 28 dollars for all your meals for each person per day. How much food are you packing for the room? Are you planning just to have breakfast in the room or is there a complimentary one at the hotel? Also, depending on where you eat that should be fine. However if your planning to eat at the parks and possibly throw in a sit down meal or two in a restaurant, you may want to budget a little more. Especially if you plan on buying snacks like popcorn at the park.

I know this is the part of the trip planning that drives me nuts the most, the expense budget. So I am always overplanning and over-budgeting, a true worrywart. :teeth: I just feel safer knowing I have more than enough than not. :confused3 Hopefully someone here can correct me if I am wrong.

ron808 said:
Fill your tanks in Oregon. That's where the cheapest gasoline can be found countrywide. ;)

have fun.

Any they pump if for you! Gotta love getting gas in OR.

I think you would be fine with that budget. Someone else mentioned your meal budget- if your room has a fridge you might want to bring snacks and light breakfast foods. Also, if you dont already do this, consider buying adult meals and having the kids share. Some of the meals (especially things like fried chicken and thing at pizza port) are large serving. You could eat least feed two children, with each. Probably even the 2,4 and 6 year old. If you get a chicken meal, ask for all legs- I think you get something silly like 4 or 6? Oh, and order kids meals for yourself if you dont feel like a big meal.

Where we really noticed the cost of things was drinks and snacks, and we are only a family of 4. So, bring bottled water for everyone.

We're going to have some of our breakfasts in our room (I have to eat as soon as I get up), I don't think our hotel has complimentary breakfast. We will also bring some snacks, but will buy some, too. I will bring bottled water, too (our room does have a fridge). I didn't break it down per person like that, I think I do need to add to my food budget. Thanks for all of the replies, I'll feel much better now and will enjoy my trip more if I don't have to worry about running out of money so I like to overestimate, too. :thumbsup2

With the strollers I know that can really add up. You could buy one there for a lot less than renting one each day.

If you have a park hopper ticket 3 day or more they come with $10.00 to ESPN zone arcade already.

Another thing would be to check out the character warehouse. They have a 10% off coupon you can use on your purchase. Go to www.mousesavers.com and under "other Disneyland Savings" they have the link and directions to the character warehouse. It is hit and miss, but they have a lot of good deals right now. Mousesavers also has a lot of other hints for getting the most for your dollar.

kuusimo said:
If you have a park hopper ticket 3 day or more they come with $10.00 to ESPN zone arcade already.

I was going to mention that as well, but I can't find anything that says they are still doing it. I was wondering if they have stopped that program.

kuusimo said:
With the strollers I know that can really add up. You could buy one there for a lot less than renting one each day.

Another thing would be to check out the character warehouse. They have a 10% off coupon you can use on your purchase. Go to www.mousesavers.com and under "other Disneyland Savings" they have the link and directions to the character warehouse. It is hit and miss, but they have a lot of good deals right now. Mousesavers also has a lot of other hints for getting the most for your dollar.

Hmmm, I hadn't thought about that with the stroller, I have one, but we wanted a second one for our 3yo and 6yo to take turns in.

I have vouchers from getawaytoday.com for our PH, when I turn them in for the tickets will I get a GC or something for ESPN zone or how does that work?

I'll definitely check out character warehouse and mousesavers, I always check mousesavers for WDW, I didn't think about it for DL :rolleyes1

If they are still doing the ESPN thing it will be built in to your park hopper. They will run it thru a bar code reader and give you your credits.

Not sure if ESPN has stopped it or not. We have gone 4 times in the last two years and they were always on the card. Last year ESPN had a great deal that gave you a $20.00 gift card, mini cooler and $10.00 to the arcade. They only did it for four months though.

If you have a Disney VISA card you get stroller rentals for free. I know that my friend just got back and did not like them because they had no cup holders.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter