Any Experience Cruising with Oxygen

Disney Enabler

It's a great day to be alive!
After attending Podcast 1.0, my husband and I immediately signed up for Podcast 2.0. Life sometimes throws us curve balls and I am currently learning to live with a serious heart disease. I am still hoping to be on Podcast 2.0 and have set this as a goal for this year but one of the things I need to deal with is I now require oxygen 24x7. I am looking for any information on cruising with oxygen and how Disney Cruise handles this.

I would appreciate any information.

2010 - What a great year to be alive.
Carol

After attending Podcast 1.0, my husband and I immediately signed up for Podcast 2.0. Life sometimes throws us curve balls and I am currently learning to live with a serious heart disease. I am still hoping to be on Podcast 2.0 and have set this as a goal for this year but one of the things I need to deal with is I now require oxygen 24x7. I am looking for any information on cruising with oxygen and how Disney Cruise handles this.

I would appreciate any information.

2010 - What a great year to be alive.
Carol

Hi Carol,

I don't know how specifically Disney handles this but I know they do a good job at it. On my last cruise a couple were sitting in the Atrium next to us. He had a portable oxygen tank with him. His wife was telling us that they were waiting there for others, that the two of them received priority boarding because of the oxygen (didn't want him to have to stand around too long). While we were sitting there, a crew member came and took the oxygen tank (leaving him with a smaller one he could carry around) and took it to their room for them.

When you get a moment, drop me an email at Tracy@dreamsunlimitedtravel.com and let me know what you need. I'll forward you a medical form which will need to be filled out and I'll get in touch with the special services department with Disney to get everything in place for you.

Carol,

Is your need such that you can use a portable concentrator, or do you have to have an oxygen tank.

My Dad is on oxygen and has gone on a cruise with both.

In 2008, we took the Magic out of LA. They rented a concentrator here locally to take on the trip. It didn't work out so well due to bad equipment. The concentrator wouldn't charge the batteries, so it had to be plugged in to use it. Luckily the air on the ship was nice enough that he was able to go for short periods without the oxygen. Disney bent over backwards to try to help. They had their people trying to fix the concentrator. They even sent someone in to one of the ports to find a battery

That fall, they took a cruise with another cruiseline. By that time his levels were high enough that a portable concentrator wouldn't do the job, so their oxygen provider (Apria, I think) delivered enough tanks to the ship, so they could go on their Thanksgiving cruise. The cruiseline stored them, and the room steward delivered them as needed.

Bottom line: It can be done!!

Thank you Tracy and Tom for your quick replies. They are very encouraging.

Tracy -- I will send you an email with some of my questions. I know it will take alot of planning but I am really hopeful that we will be able to go on this trip.

Tom -- I appreciate your info. I am currently on oxygen tanks but I am being tested for the ability to use the smaller tanks with a concentrator. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will qualify. I also have Apria as my provider. I have so much to learn but I am determined to keep living! If you think of any other words of advice please feel free to let me know.

Carol

I don't have experiance w/ Disney but I took my mom on three cruises on other lines after she had to be on oxygen 24/7. We got a portable concentrator from her provider and several tanks, we did drive to the port, so we didn't have to worry about flying. As noted before they will store the extra tanks for you and bring them to you as you need it.

Since my mother has passed away, they now have a portable oxygen concentrator that is approved for flying - it's about the size of a car battery (maybe a little larger), I've been on a few flights with people who have used it and it's great for traveling. I wished they had had it sooner.

Also, check out the dis-ability board, they have some good information as well.

It will take some getting used to and a lot of pre-planning but you can keep living your life, just take it slow, give yourself extra time, and ask for help when you need it.

Good luck and hope to meet you on the cruise, you'll have a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter