Any good eat spots at MGM ?

kate_great

Earning My Ears
As I look through my unofficial guide to WDW, I am not impressed by the food choices for MGM. It seems to have a negative reviews for most MGM restauraunts. I would like to have at least one PS for the day excluding breakfast. Help!! Even the 50's grill was negative. this suprised me.
Thanks, Kate_great

Not sure whether your looking for something quick or nice sit down meal but our favorite quick place is "Toy Story Pizza" we were very surprised at how good the pizza was. We like the "Brown Derby" for sit down but it is a bit pricey. You didn't say when you are going but I know that Brown Derby will be closed during our trip in September. Other than the hot dog stand those are the only two places we have tried there. Good luck on your decision.

We love 50's Prime Time! Had 2 good meals there, and going back again in October. Mama Melrose was good also.
Keep in mind that opinions about meals are very subjective. For example - we really didn't like Toy Story Pizza Planet (sorry P'ColaFla :D ) however, others really like it. Same with 50's PT.
I would suggest pulling a few menu's from www.wdwig.com and from the choices on the menu decide what you would like to try.
Good luck!

The Unofficial Guide is very negative on WDW food in general, and I would take those reviews with a grain of salt. We had a very pleasant lunch at the PRime Time Cafe last week. It is a little overpriced, but we were able to split our entree, so that made it more reasonable. The atmosphere and the service were both really fun. I highly reccomend it!

Melissa

I just want to note that you might want to take the Unoffical Guide reviews with a grain of salt. Everyone has certain likes and dislikes and even though I love that book and use it all the time I have found that they are usually hard on places to eat.

We did have a bad meal at Sci-Fi., but that place has it's fans. Here's what we like. We like the commisary for breakfast, always fresh and hot. We like the area where they have little stands, there's a fresh fruit place and I think Rosies is there too. We also like 50's Prime Time.

MGM doesn't have a ton of choices, but the ones they do have are a notch above most non-WDW theme parks.

What I do with reviews is read them, but keep in mind what one person likes or dislikes may not match what I like or dislike. Plus you have to take into account that ALL restaurants have off days, even in WDW. If, however, I see 99% bad reviews and the guides books are giving it a thumbs down, it's usually a good sign to stay away. LOL

We like to pick places we've never tried and then form our own thoughts. We also have a ton of old favs. I will also try and compare notes with other DIS'ers and if I find some people that liked the same places I did, I can count on there reviews to be more accurate to my likes/dislikes.

Good luck with your choice. Out of all the places at MGM I'd probably go with 50's for the PS or Mama's. If it's just adults and your not on a super tight budget, then look into the Brown Derby.

Pam

I feel that overall, MGM has the weakest dining of all of the parks-including Animal Kingdom which really has no full service dining. I've had bad meals at three out of the five full service restaurants at MGM--Sci Fi, 50's Prime Time, and Hollywood Brown Derby. Mama Melrose isn't bad for the flatbread pizzas, and I do like Hollywood and Vine.

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I usually like to judge places and choose while I am there, but with the anticipated crowds in Oct. (FTP) I wanted to have at least one PS in each park while we were there. I made a PS at the 5o's Prime Time for dinner.
thanks Kate_great:)

Have a great time at MGM, kate_great.

Swankybeth has a good point about Mama Melrose's. A decent cost-cutting idea to try there is to order appetizers instead of entrees, and make use of the free bread.

Sincerely,

Len

For counter service, Backlot and Rosies are pretty good.

* Sci-Fi - we like it even tho I know people complain about it. They have the best fries anywhere at Disney. I grew up with the California drive-in theaters and so I love the theme of this place. Also Sci-Fi has a nice cool feeling for a break from the hot sun.
* Brown Derby - had excellent food, but expensive. The restaurant is really nice and has of course a great movie theme because of the stars pics.
* Prime Time - we didn't really care for this one, didn't like being nagged on vacation to eat our veggies. I know they mean well and it's acting, but we just didn't like that. The food was pretty good tho.
* Mama Melrose - we liked both the food and atmosphere here, great pizza
* Pizza Planet - basic not so hot pizza and an okay salad. However it's not a big decision and it's a good timeout from everything else. The arcade gives time to adjust to food before going back to the rides.

I really agree with Pammy. I read reviews and decide for myself, win some & lose some. Sometimes our opinion has more to do with the day we are having than with the actual fare.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter