Any quilters?

I've been quilting a few years -- I've made kid's quilts and some traditional quilts for the holidays.

I thought you might enjoy this tee-shirt quilt I finished last month for my niece. It is made of some of her favorite tee shirts and we "filled in" some of her beloved characters with character fabric:

7366a4f4-4393-4f19-9076-712612e827f7_zps2fdfa6b5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I know this thread is a few months old and didn't have much activity to begin with but I quilt too! I'm dying to make a good Disney quilt. Love the Disney t-shirt quilt. I need to do that with my son's Disney t-shirts as he outgrows them. :thumbsup2

I know this thread is a few months old and didn't have much activity to begin with but I quilt too! I'm dying to make a good Disney quilt. Love the Disney t-shirt quilt. I need to do that with my son's Disney t-shirts as he outgrows them. :thumbsup2

I pretty much gave up on any responses. Seems there was no interest. :confused3

I've been quilting a few years -- I've made kid's quilts and some traditional quilts for the holidays.

I thought you might enjoy this tee-shirt quilt I finished last month for my niece. It is made of some of her favorite tee shirts and we "filled in" some of her beloved characters with character fabric:

7366a4f4-4393-4f19-9076-712612e827f7_zps2fdfa6b5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Your quilt is beautiful. I've done a number of t-shirt quilts, which were custom for people, but I've put sashing and set squares between each shirt.

I pretty much gave up on any responses. Seems there was no interest. :confused3

Boo :worried: Well, I'm very interested!! I've been dying for a DIS Quilt group. I'm really getting back into it now that my DS is older and can do more for himself. I still don't quilt a ton until he's in bed for the night but I do try to do at least a little every day. Do you hand or machine quilt? I hand quilt but would love to have one of my quilts done on a long arm.

Quite the novice here. I can do 9 patch. But, there are days, it's still not square. :rotfl2:
I just bought some fat quarters this weekend. Realized my poor sewing machine hasn't been used for over a year! And I've been giving so much to everyone else--depression coming back so I decided it was MY time again.

Meanwhile, my mom is an AWESOME quilter and other sewing projects. She made a puzzle quilt for my bed. She made my DS2 layette, bibs...all that good stuff. So I have support if I ask for it.

I use my machine for my piecing, but plan to do a all hand quilt one day.

Quite the novice here. I can do 9 patch. But, there are days, it's still not square. :rotfl2:
I just bought some fat quarters this weekend. Realized my poor sewing machine hasn't been used for over a year! And I've been giving so much to everyone else--depression coming back so I decided it was MY time again.

Meanwhile, my mom is an AWESOME quilter and other sewing projects. She made a puzzle quilt for my bed. She made my DS2 layette, bibs...all that good stuff. So I have support if I ask for it.

I use my machine for my piecing, but plan to do a all hand quilt one day.

Hey, you gotta start somewhere :) My stuff wasn't square at first either. It still isn't all the time :rolleyes1 But no quilt should be perfect. You should definitely make things for you. My Mom gives away so much of her work too. My Mom is the one that has taught me to quilt but I've never put on a binding on my own so that's one thing I plan on learning this year. I've sewn it down by hand but never sewn it on the front by machine and I haven't put any binding together either. That's great that you have a good teacher :) I machine piece too. No way would I ever get anything done if I did everything by hand. :rotfl:

I've been quilting since about 1993. I both hand quilt and have used a long arm to machine quilt. For the larger quilts I've been making, I send them to a long arm quilter out of State because she is so much more reasonable than anyone here on LI. I love to hand quilt, but as my RA progresses, I'm finding it harder and harder to hand quilt. The smaller things I quilt on my own machine.

I LOVE quilting!

I'm more than happy to share any knowledge I have with anyone. We were all a beginner at one point, so just ask. :)

PS I'm glad to see that this is becoming an active thread.

I've been quilting since about 1993. I both hand quilt and have used a long arm to machine quilt. For the larger quilts I've been making, I send them to a long arm quilter out of State because she is so much more reasonable than anyone here on LI. I love to hand quilt, but as my RA progresses, I'm finding it harder and harder to hand quilt. The smaller things I quilt on my own machine.

I LOVE quilting!

I'm more than happy to share any knowledge I have with anyone. We were all a beginner at one point, so just ask. :)

PS I'm glad to see that this is becoming an active thread.

That's awesome that you've been quilting for so long. I've been quilting since 2005. My Mom got breast cancer and once she was in full remission I told her I wanted her to teach me because I really wanted something I could hold on to that I could say that she taught me and so we could share such a great similar interest. I was only 24 at the time so she was quite surprised that I asked and even more surprised that I've stuck with it off and on all these years. I'm one of those quilters that starts a project and then gets bored LOL so I have many things that are half done and at least 5 quilt tops that need to be basted and quilted. My plan for this year is to get things done before I start on something else but we all know how that will wind up. :hyper:

I'm glad this is becoming an active thread too. the DIS needs a quilt group :goodvibes

Oh and that stinks about your RA :sad2: I have carpal tunnel and it's getting progressively worse throughout the years. I can only hand quilt for about an hour before it starts to really bother me. I guess I really should wear wrist braces while I quilt but it's so inhibiting. I have never machine quilted anything except a purse I made years ago (that's still not totally done).

Oh and that stinks about your RA :sad2: I have carpal tunnel and it's getting progressively worse throughout the years. I can only hand quilt for about an hour before it starts to really bother me. I guess I really should wear wrist braces while I quilt but it's so inhibiting. I have never machine quilted anything except a purse I made years ago (that's still not totally done).

Thanks. The real crisis will be when I can't even piece. Then we'll have a problem! :eek:

You might want to look into having the carpal tunnel surgery. I had it done on my right hand and have never had a problem with that since. The success rate is excellent so long as you don't wait until there is too much damage done to the nerves.

Would love to see some of your tops!

QuiltTeddy said:
Thanks. The real crisis will be when I can even piece. Then we'll have a problem! :eek:

You might want to look into having the carpal tunnel surgery. I had it done on my right hand and have never had a problem with that since. The success rate is excellent so long as you don't wait until there is too much damage done to the nerves.

Would love to see some of your tops!

Ugh yeah definitely. Hopefully you have a while before that happens.

Yeah I've thought about it. I just fear if I go to the doc they'll want me to get cortisone shots and I've heard how painful that is lol. Did you have to have shots before the surgery?

I'd be happy to take and post some pictures. I'd love to see yours as well!!

Yeah I've thought about it. I just fear if I go to the doc they'll want me to get cortisone shots and I've heard how painful that is lol. Did you have to have shots before the surgery?

I'd be happy to take and post some pictures. I'd love to see yours as well!!

I had the cortisone shot ONCE.....never again!! First of all, I can't even begin to tell you how much they hurt and secondly, it did not help one iota!!! I'd go straight for the surgery and was going to do that for my left hand, but when I had the CMC (carpal meta carpal a/k/a thumb joint rebuilt), it alleviated all the carpal tunnel pain I had in the left hand, so I've never had to do it.

Okay, let's see if I remember how to put up pictures on this Board.

Front: This is one I finally made for myself. I've always made and given the others away, so felt it was time for me to have one with my favorite color -- pink!

Back:

This king size was a wedding gift -- it took me 10 months to complete. I am now making this same pattern (Ribbons & Stars) out of batiks for our bed. I have 3/4 of the approximate 2,000 pieces together in blocks.

This is the first t-shirt quilt I made. I now joke to DH that while he had to wait about 13 years for his quilt, he can now say he owns an award winning quilt. (As a side note, he got his a good 2 years before I made the one for me last fall.)

Hope you enjoy.

Gorgeous quilts!! Thank you for sharing. I haven't taken pictures of my tops just yet. I will try to do it soon.

Your quilt is beautiful. I've done a number of t-shirt quilts, which were custom for people, but I've put sashing and set squares between each shirt.

thanks for the compliment! I've probably made about 7 tee shirt quilts and I always have so many tee shirts that the only way to make them not humungous is to keep it to tee shirts only. So my "style" was kind of a "neccessity is the mother of invention"!

I love your King Size quilt! I have two kids so most of my quilts have been "cute" instead of traditional. I have a Halloween Wall hanging and a Christmas Wall hanging, tee shirt quilts, photo quilts, lots of baby quilts, etc. A few years ago my husband's "stepmom" was visiting me and looked at my quilts and kind of went "oh, so you can't do traditional?" Well, I can't ignore a challenge so this was the traditional quilt I made.

IMG_7119_zpscc45578c.jpg

Talk about getting squares to match up! But, my "traditional quilt" was still made with Christmas Fabric.

So my "dream" is to have time and do a true traditional bed quilt.

Thanks for sharing your quilts!

Hello I too am glad that this thread has re emerged. I have been quilting for about five years. Started after I got frustrated with garment sewing and the lousy choices of fabric and patterns there were for it and my kids graduated from school so my source for a "sewing fix" dried up. Lol. I was able to get that sewing fix, cause I love to sew, from volunteering my time making band uniforms, flags covers for equipment, banners and theatre costumes at the high school. I know I could still do that for them but why ruin the fun of the parents who have their kids in there now. So I changed to quilting.
Currently I am in the process of ripping out a t shirt quilt I was making. It got tooooo big and too heavy. I did not know what I was doing, did not have a clear plan for it and. Hated it. So I'm ripping it out. Not like I haven't done something like that before. I plan to re make it into a block format with stripping in between and cropping better. I had them arranged on a backing fabric and it did nth work, should not have let it get as far as I did before scrapping the idea.

Oh I wanted to share. When I am matching squares I pin not only the seam I'm going to sew but I match the sides, square off and pin an inch or so down each of the sides too, even though I'm not sewing there. I have been finding that this is helping keep the fabric from stretching out of shape while sewing and keeping it squared better. And I have been playing with the placement of the stitching seam line sometimes a slight to the left or right of where your supposed to sew gives it a better chance of being in square later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter