Any reviews of Kayaking at HHI?

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
I'm specifically wondering how it is for a non-swimmer who also doesn't have terribly strong arms. I'd really like to do this as a way to see birds on the water. However, I'm kind of afraid of it being "tippy", and I can't swim. Also, my arms aren't the strongest, and I don't want to get out there and "poop out" on everyone. How is it?

We've done kayaking tours twice - but, I wouldn't suggest it if your primary interest is bird-watching as it does involve some hard work - but I would not consider the kayaks to be "tippy" at all. You will be wearing a life vest, but personally wouldn't advise a non-swimmer to undertake something like this, even though I consider it to be very safe.

Yes, you might be tired by the end of the adventure, but it is very safe, you will not be in any rough waters and the experience is really wonderful , but if you really want to experience birds, I'd suggest a nature walk or nature trip to Pinckney Island instead. No reason to mar a nice tour with any insecurity by being on the water.

Enjoy! :)

Well said Doc...

We too have done the kayak tour and did enjoy it. As for being a non-swimmer, hopefully the excursion won't come to that:laughing: As for bird life, HHI abounds with it! I considered this to be one of the greatest benefits of staying at the resort. We saw more just in our wanderings around the resort than we did on our kayak trip and nature walk combined (although we did get to see a pretty good sized gator on the nature walk:eek: )

While we didn't see much bird life on the kayak trip, here is a pic of one that we did see (Although I would maybe recommend a disposable camera, if any, if you haven't kayak'ed before).

HiltonHeadIsland164.jpg

If you choose to kayak, enjoy! Since the trips cater to people of all abilities, don't worry too much about being a drag on the group, as you probably won't be the only one in the group of similar ability. Also, I think kayaks are pretty stable, easily maneuvered and very easy to get comfortable with.

Either way, Enjoy!

Chris

My wonderful, over enthusiastic DH managed to tip his kayak twice on one trip ! The guide said he was the first person to ever tip out of his kayak with him. But even so, DH loved it, especially when the dolphins were right next to his kayak. Our son went with him and had no problems but I, since I am not a great water person, stayed onshore.

I'm specifically wondering how it is for a non-swimmer who also doesn't have terribly strong arms. I'd really like to do this as a way to see birds on the water. However, I'm kind of afraid of it being "tippy", and I can't swim. Also, my arms aren't the strongest, and I don't want to get out there and "poop out" on everyone. How is it?

I haven't Kayaked at HHI, but, I do some Kayaking in the area (I am in Savannah) and would highly recommend it, even for a non swimmer. Kayaks are next to un-tippable, unless you really try at it. I felt very nervous about Kayaking the first time I did it, but, now, I am considered by some to be a pro (but not by me!).

As for arm strenght, you don't need much. My wife, who is anything but a strong armed person, is much better at getting around in a kayak than I am. The trick in technique, not power.

Give it a go!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter