Any sewing goddesses out there?

fivefordisney

DIS Veteran
I am in need of someone who sews--even just as a hobby--because I don't sew at all!

My DD will be 12 in 3 weeks and she LOVES sewing. She began sewing in a Family Consumer Science class in 5th grade and now sews at with her middle school Sewing Club. It's actually a really popular club with the girls, and they actually had to turn kids away this year. It's primarily 6th graders and some 5th graders. The kids make cell phone holders, tote bags, pajama pants bottoms, ribbon belts, etc. They use a sewing machine called the Baby Lock Creative Pro.

Well, my DD has asked for a sewing machine for her birthday. I don't know anything about sewing machines. The woman at Joann Fabric was a Husqvarna representative and recommended a $400 machine. Seemed a bit expensive for a soon to be 12 year old!

Here is my dilemma... I don't want to buy a cheap machine that will be frustrating to use because it will just end up in a closet, not being used. Conversely, I don't want to buy a top-of-the-line, expensive machine that could potentially end up in a closet, not being used. (She is only 12 and she may lose interest...)

Is there anyone who can steer me to a good solid machine? I have ruled out Singer because my neighbor told me they are pretty unreliable (shoddy) these days... I am willing to spend $200...

Thanks for any kind soul who can take pity on my lack of knowledge!!!

Also, what are the "good" names now? Janome? Husqvarna? Baby Lock?

I would recommend going to a sewing center around you. Look in the yellow pages to find one. I believe they have a selection of sewing machine brands. If your daughter is comfortable with a Baby Lock, check with her sewing teacher, get the model and check Ebay. Perhaps you can get one at a good price.

I think I will move this up to the arts and crafts section. We have a lot of people who sew there and they might be able to help you.

and my mom bought me a baby lock for christmas a few years ago, I have yet to use it but it's a good beginner machine.

I like the idea of a sewing club, she has a lot of girls and boys in her after school program that love to sew. they made teddy bear quilts earlier this year.

I have a brother cs6000 that I got at Walmart for about $180. I love this machine. I've been sewing for about 35 years and had a few singers and a Janome over the years.

You could always join us on the Disboutiquers thread. We talk about machines, sergers, sewing and purchased customer Disneyized clothing.

Any Viking machine would be great. Now, after saying that, I need to tell you that the accessories are downright expensive.

Since I have a Viking Rose, I know this. It's a very dependable machine but I have gone broke purchasing stuff for it.

I cannot tell you about any other machines except for vintage Singer's (circa 1950's!), which I love and adore. I have 3 old Singers, one old White and an 1876 Domestic treadle machine, none of which I'd give up for any reason at all. I got them all at tag sales, too! I paid an average of $25 dollars for them, except for my Singer Featherweight, which I got for a steal for $70.00. Yes, I collect sewing machines!

My advice is to visit church and yard sales, or even try Craigs List and Freecycle. You can get good machines there for great prices, mostly because people just want to get them out of their houses.

Check out this recent thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1715808

It talks about a few basic machines. Make sure the machine does straight sewing, a zig-zag stitch and also does a blind hem stitch. Those are the absolute basics. Beyond that, a few decorative stitches and a button holer would be nice, but not necessary.

Check to see what machines she is currently using at the club. That might help.

Do NOT buy a Janome through Sears. Like the recent Singers, they are crap. :p

Here's another great forum dedicated to sewing. It's at about.com. The women there are kind & wonderful. Scroll down and you will see a section for sewing machines. You can ask questions about machines for your daughter there.
http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?webtag=ab-sewing&nav=messages

I think I actually have a singer. I think it came from either Target or Walmart. I love it and I'm by no means a great at it, but it's a fun hobby. I make the kids PJ's bottom, curtains, valences, occasional dresses and I do fine on my machine.

Hi

I would suggest going with a basic machine, because that will be good enough for a beginning, and she'll still be able to do a lot. Later on, if she ends up really liking it, she can always move up to a better/fancier/more elaborate machine.

Way back in 7th grade I took sewing lessons, and all I had was an old machine of my grandma's (probably from 1920!)

My parents bought me a cheap little machine from Sears, and it was sufficient, but as I used it for a few years and really got into sewing, I decided I needed something more. When I got into high school and got a part-time job, I saved up, and eventually bought a top-of-the line machine. That was more than 30 years ago, and I'm just now thinking it will soon be time for a new one.

Good luck!!

I love my Singer too! It is a tradition thing for me. My Gram's Singer Red eye is in my bedroom and mine is in the den!

What do you all think about the Bernette for Bernina machines? I went to a local sew and vac shop and they recommended a Bernette 66--I can't find out anything about it (review-wise) online. The price was $299. They had Baby Locks (Denim Pro, Creative Pro and one other that I can't remember), but the guy liked the Bernette better.

I tried to find a used one, but so far all that I can find are more expensive than I thought!! They are high-end machines.

Thanks in advance...

What do you all think about the Bernette for Bernina machines? I went to a local sew and vac shop and they recommended a Bernette 66--I can't find out anything about it (review-wise) online. The price was $299. They had Baby Locks (Denim Pro, Creative Pro and one other that I can't remember), but the guy liked the Bernette better.

I tried to find a used one, but so far all that I can find are more expensive than I thought!! They are high-end machines.

Thanks in advance...

Anyone??? I have to buy this before April 9th?

Thanks a million!!!!

Ditto on the do not buy a Janome from Sears - that was my last machine. I also got the Brother from Walmart for $180 as a PP stated. I've been quilting for about 8 years and I think it's a great machine. If you think your daughter will ever get into quilting, the other functionality I would look for is the ability to drop your feed dogs. My first machine for about $100 did not have this and I had to tape cardboard over then if I wanted to free motion quilt.

I am so confused!

The people that sew in my area keep saying to go with a good name like Bernina because they have metal "guts". I went to the sew and vac store and they recommended the Bernette 66 by Bernina. I can't find any info on that machine except for the sales people or the Bernina website. I went on a sewing forum and people were talking about how the Bernettes were most likely made by Janome. Then a few people said Janome were junk...and so were Singers...and Brother...

So...am I really only left with the machines that cost a fortune? I don't want my daughter to be frustrated...but I'm not spending more than $300.
:confused3

I think what people are saying is that if you want to put money behind it, get the more expensive quality machine. But if you want to spend under $200, some of the other options are fine. I'm not sure how much the Bernina machines are, but I'm sure one would be fine for under $200.

Well, I just got back from the sew and vac shop with my daughter's new Bernette 66 for Bernina. Hopefully, it will be just fine! It has the drop in bobbin, and comes with a free lesson. I plan to go with my DD so I can learn too!

Now I have to figure out what to buy in terms of thread and stuff!

Thanks for all your help!

Don't know about that particular model of Bernina but I have two Berninas; I kept my first model because it was so reliable and upgraded to one that did the embroidery. They're great machines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter