any single parents

Hi!

Another single mom here:teeth:

Jindy, you might want to go with the transfers. You tag your luggage at home, check it on the plane, and that is the last time you see it until it is placed outside your stateroom! If you rent a car and drive to the port, yes you can check it outside the port, and they will deliver it to your stateroom. I've done this with my carryon so I don't have to lug it along with me at the welcome aboard lunch.

My DD and have have always been paired with other people at dinner. One year we were paired with two other single mom's and their kids. Their kids were a little younger than mine, but we all still had a great time. This last year we were paired with a family, and funny.....I don't think Disney knew this, but we already knew this couple and their teenage daughter from several cruises back. My DD and theirs had kept in touch over the last several years!

My DD loved this kids club, and later the teen's club (this is why we will be going on our 6th cruise) Yes, I found myself alone quite a bit. I did insist she join me for dinner though. Other than that she was off at the clubs with her new friends. There is so much going on everyday, that you could not possibly do it all! If you don't feel like laying by the pool, you can go to any one of the numerous "series" that they have. Take the kitchen tour, the bridge tour, question and answer with the Captain, see a movie, eat (and eat some more) go to the spa, watch the "adult" pool activities. Now those are fun to watch! Something is going on all day! Trust me, you won't be bored. Oh, and don't forget Palo brunch! There is also a single parent lunch and other "singles" activities, but I have never gone on them.

Snowball, I am very sorry to hear about your loss. I'm glad to hear that you will be able to go on the cruise, and hope you have a Magical time.

Robin

I am so amazed that there are so many other singles posting on this board. I gather strength and encouragement from each one of you. You guys are my hero's! And thanks for the prayers and thoughts. We are hanging in there. There is just two of us, but yet we are still a family.

We have never traveled alot, but I have always wanted too. So I saw there are some great packages to go to Los Vegas. So guess what we are going! Anyone ever been? We are going to stay at Mandelay Bay.

And I am getting chicken about going on the cruise over Dec/January. Will it be to cold to do any swimming? What do you guys think?

It has been a long weekend good to see so many posts. And what do you guys do over the 4th with your kids?

Hi Snowball!

Aimee and I went to Las Vegas many years ago. I think she was about 7. It was great fun! We stayed at the Monte Carlo, and saw Lance Burton, did Circus Circus, MGM Grand, saw the tigers, the pirate thing, and the lava eruption and spent ALOT of time in the lazy river pool at the hotel. It was July, and very hot.

We have always cruised in February, and with the exception of this year, the weather has been very nice/bordering hot. Just the water at Castaway Cay was a little on the chilly side, but not so much to keep us out of it! Which cruise were you going on?

No plans here for the 4th, but I do have the week following off of work:teeth: I tried to get tickets to Wicked on Broadway, but they are all sold out:( So we will figure something out.

I admire your outlook, keep the positive attitude not only for yourself, but for your son.

Robin

Another single mom here.

My son and I will be on the April 23 western sailing. I know he's going to have a blast, he'll be 13 then.

At first I was wondering if I'd find much to keep me busy. After reading MANY of the threads here, I'm no longer worried. At one point I thought about avoiding Palo's the spa, and formal night. But why spend so much money to avoid things that make a disney cruise so special? I'm looking forward to having dinner and brunch at Palo's. I plan to attend as many singles activities as I can and I can't wait to relax in the rainforest room.

I've never been married, so the single parent thing is normal for us.

Both cruises I did the Aroma Ocean spa wrap:p It was heaven...You might as well pamper yourself....We deserve it!!

They brush you skin with this brush and then smear this green seaweed stuff all over you and then wrap you up in saran wrap like stuff and then put warm blankets on you. While you are lying there they massage your scalp and feet and it was so good!!:goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes
Plus you also get a facial......
After you rinse the seaweed stuff off you get a back massage and it is heavenly...You are there almost 2 hours and you don't even realize it. Afterwards I was weak and went to lounge by the pool for a bit and have coctail!!:cool: Wish I was there right now.

I went to get DD from the club this past cruise and Cinderella was princess: was there reading the kids a story. So she did not want to leave...That day was really nice...... Heck the whole cruise was so wonderful. I guess that is why I keep going back with DD. If I have no one to go with us next October I am planning on taking my Mom along. She says she does not like water enough to be out there on a ship in the middle of the ocean. She just doesn't understand... I know she would love it...I am working on her.

if you book palo's , can you request to be seated w other singles? Do other singles eat there? I would love to try this restaurant, but I do not want to eat alone.
Thanks,
Valerie

I feel like a single mom when ds and I are at WDW. I have a wonderful, supportive, sweet, kind husband who is a devoted father in every way EXCEPT anything Disney related. He hates crowds, parades, rides, characters, etc., etc. So, since ds was 4 he has encouraged us to go annually and enjoy ourselves . . . and we do!!!! Still, I see all the couples and sometimes wish he was there for a romantic dinner or a stroll but then I know how miserable he would be the remaining 99% of the time and I get over it. DS and I have a ball. We are now taking our first Disney cruise and very excited. I doubt I will go to Palo - feel guilty taking up space that a couple could enjoy, but I know there will be plenty for me to do.

snowball,
so very sorry for your losses - you are in my prayers

MamaQuack

Thanks everyone. Keep us in your prayers. Wednesday was so hard. It was his birthday. He should have been fourty and having a big party with all his friends over for a cookout. So this weekend is really difficult. And what makes it worse it is going to rain here all the weekend!

I diffently will not be going to Pablo's. It is encouraging though that Disney have events for single parents and recognizes the fact that familys aren't just mom and dad. It can be mom or dad, but still a family!

What is formal night and what do you do? Is is a dinner or dance or both? And does everyone participate?

Everyone have a wonderful weekend!

snowball,

gotcha on the prayer chain here in Athens, GA - cannot imagine how painful this time of year is for you but we are keeping you close in prayer; hope you can find joy though in planning;

MamaQuack

p.s. you can pm me or email me if you want

Hi everyone. I'm a single parent with 2 teens (ages 18 and almost 17). I went through a very long dragged out divorce and the only thing that kept me hanging in there (except for my wonderful family) was my promise to take my family on a cruise to celebrate when my divorce would be final. We've been on 9 cruises and my favorite one is the Disney Wonder. We did it last year and doing it again 8/19/04. Funny, last year I didn't notice if they had anything for singles. We went with my mom who is a senior citizen and she said she loved the cruise. I've been divorced since 95 and my ex passed away a few years ago. I'm not good at doing the singles thing because I have alot of trust (or lack of trust) issues. :mad: When I'm on the ship it's the only time that I can totally relax:o and forget the bad times and enjoy the good times :earsboy: Anything Disney it always good times.:wave2: :earseek:

Hi,
Single parent here with 7 yr old daughter. Been divorced 4 yrs. I've cruised once on DCL in 2001- the eastern. Planning to do the western DCL next year. Just trying to decide when to go. I'm looking at May or the fall. Who did you guys find was the cheapest agency to book with?

Val- I was wondering the same thing about Palo's. Last time my mom was with me so I ate with her. This time I will be alone.

Has anyone been to the singles meets on the ships?

I really don't know how I missed this post!!:Pinkbounc I am a single parent (by choice) traveling with my ds 16 and dd 7 on the land/sea package that sails August 29. I can hardly wait!!:crazy: I think I am more excited than the children. I am looking forward to just relaxing and enjoying our first cruise. I am so sorry to hear of all of your losses and you all are in my prayers. Keep smiling things will get better. We always take a vacation and though I use to be somewhat envious of couples, I know I am so very blessed to have two wonderful children to spend time with. It has been tough and we have survived just as you guys will. What we are doing now is the best part about it...receiving support and giving support to/from others. This is what validates and heals us all.

Much love and prayers Guys

Deborah

Hi everyone! legs22, I'm just like you. I went out on my own about 4 years ago, and my daughter is 7.

This will be our first cruise. (May 2005)

Originally posted by jin diesel
Hi everyone! legs22, I'm just like you. I went out on my own about 4 years ago, and my daughter is 7.

This will be our first cruise. (May 2005)

I just saw you were cruising in May 2005 and thought maybe it was the cruise I was looking at. Then I saw you are doing the 14 day. I was looking at May 7 which is the last cruise before the Magic heads through the Panama Canal to CA. Too bad we will miss each other. Question- How are you getting your dd out of school for 2 weeks?

legs22,
Good question! ;) Our school district allows us to *apply* for independent studies when a child is going to be out of school for more than 5 days. Basically, if the principal approves it, you sign a contract agreeing to complete whatever assignments the district and/or teacher sends along with your kid during the vacation. It is a way to assure that the school will still get their money even though your kids are out of school. (Schools in CA get an "allowance" per student in class per day. That's why attendance is so important).

I'm hoping my principal will not say "no". She's a tough lady, and I am going to really have to sell her on the whole "this is going to be a great educational experince" stuff.

I still haven't decided when to even bring it up. I was thinking after Christmas.

Can you pull your daughter out for a week? Where in South FLorida do you live? I went to Jr. High and High School in the Dade County District. (I lived in Kendall, Perrine and Homestead many many years ago). I still have a ton of friends down there! Too bad we will miss each other!

I live in Palm Beach County. The kids are off on May 13, so she would only miss 4 days of school.

Leggs22

After checking into different TA I found both last year and this year that I got the best price for the Disney cruise by calling Disney Cruise Lines directly. The are the most knowledgable and nicest people to deal with. Believe it or not, not one TA beat their price.

Can't wait. Cruising on the Wonder 8/19/04

Bev

We also live in the bay area, CA. Last year my daughter missed a few days in Jan for disneyland, and a week in May for WDW. Both were with the teacher's full knowledge and blessing. I have yet to have a teacher even balk at my having my daughter miss school for a trip. The work they sent last year for the "independent study " was minimal, and mostly fun.....

:wave: Hi everyone - I'm a single mom cruisin 9/11 on the Western side - I have 6 yr old girl/boy twins - anyone else going? Would love to meet people to hang out with.

I have met alot of others going on the cruise but they are all married with kids and don't want to feel like a third wheel - hoping to meet up with some single folks to laugh and have fun

:wave2: Lisa

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter