• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anybody rented a Vacation Home?

newmousecateer

Babcia Extraordinaire/B-Elder YaYa
Hi

Just me AGAIN!! (Love it here)

Clicked on "vacation homes for rent" for the first time today. Has anyone rented one before? Are they as nice as they look in the pictures online? How far are they from DW? We planned on renting a car anyway because DS and DIL and grandkids want to go to Universal, etc. Can anyone help with any info?

Sorry to have to ask this but DH and I smoke - are any of them "smoking"? If not, we can always smoke outside (sorry if I offend anyone with smoking request)

LOL to all of you for all of your great help. After we get the details of where we are staying set, will need lots of help planning park tickets, etc. :)

Hi, and WELCOME newmousecateer!

I will be staying in my first vacation home in January. I, too, would like to hear about more experiences.

Like you, I did the VRBO route, a little skeptical of pictures vs. real life. I finally did a great deal with an owner I found right here on this site! I've been to Orlando 6 times in the last year and a half and this will my first time in a home instead of a hotel. The main reason? My son and his friend who will be coming with us, ONLY care about the pool! I would spend most of my evenings, when I wanted to be relaxing in my room, sitting by the pool watching them.

Well, not this year! :D The pool will be right outside my living room and bedroom, instead of a trek downstairs and outside!

I have friends who live in Orlando who gave me a thumbs up on the subdivision we will be staying in. It's gated and clean and only about 7 mins from Disney.

Do a search on "vacation homes" or VRBO and you will get plenty of information on these boards.

And again, welcome!

I've been in 3 rental homes near Disney, rented 2 of them myself. The ones I stayed in were as nice as the pictures. They were beautiful. I am now spoiled and wouldn't stay anywhere else unless I went alone. The extra room by itself is worth it but there is so much more, private pool, washer & dryer, kitchen. They homes were non smoking but I'm sure you could go outside to smoke. The location was close enough to see fireworks from the parks. If you have any other questions about the homes or neighborhoods, you can email me.

Thanks to both of you for your replies and tips.

RobinR, so glad you found a nice subdivision to stay in. I will definately search for more info.

I will definately be e-mailing you BonnieA. So glad to hear you had such good experiences, and nice to know the homes are as nice as the pictures.

I will keep in touch with both of you. Thanks again. (I love these boards! :bounce: )

We JUST returned from a four day cruise and three days in Orlando at a rental home. The home was absolutely beautiful, every bit of the pictures on the website. We were the first ones to use this home, it was BRAND new. We rented through "Homes 4 UU". I felt that that management company (IPG) was not as responsive to some problems as they could have been. Our home had NO hot water when we arrived......it was 1:00 am, but left a message and was told someone would get back with us first thing in the AM....so eight Magic Kingdom sweaty bodies went to bed w/o showers.....they didn't respond until 3:30 the next day!

Luckily for us, we had friends nearby who had also rented and we scampered over there, but I was upset that they took so long to respond.....will be taking it up with Homes 4 UU and see what they have to say!

Overall, the location was quite convenient to the parks...within ten minutes of anywhere we wanted to go.....beautiful subdivision.....

I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.....even with the cold shower!!

Our family will be arriving in Orlando thursday for a 2 week stay at a Families First vacation home. Its just outside the park at exit 26 and it too has its own heated pool. When I booked it last month I was able to get a daily charge of $66 a night, for a complete house! I will post my comments later about the quality of it, we leave in 28 hours! Hard to imagine WDW is 5643 miles away.

We currently have reservations at Pop Century for March. Now with it not opening and haven't heard where they are going to put us, and with early entry gone we are really thinking about a home.

Are some better than others? Which are close by Disney?

Do we think early entry will return prior to spring break?

Our first 2 nights are at a hotel, but my husband promised the kids a real home for this vacation. So we are staying 7 nights in a house that looks really good on the website. Our stay is also in Jan., so we aren't too long off! Yippee! I believe we found ours on VRBO also. It's in Indian Creek in Kissimmee.
We will have our own King bedroom with locks on the doors! There are 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms and our own pool and hot tub. I think we are spending way too much, (about $119 a nt.) but Dad promised, so you know how that goes. We tried to offer less, because so many people told us it was really easy to negotiate. Not so for us! This woman's rate was etched in stone. The trouble is, I've heard lots of people say, once you rent a home, you never want a hotel again. We'll see. I think if you want a home, you should go for it. I've read a lot of people's experiences and not one has been negative. Good Luck! Pomcoach:bounce:

Pomcoach, considering what you're getting I'd say $119 a night is a GREAT price! I was quoted more than that for 3 bedrooms!

When in January will you be going? I'm going the very first week so I can report back to you!

I guess I got a cool deal after all then. We're just hoping that the pool is warm enough to use for January, or at least the hot tub. We are going Jan. 4th - Jan. 13th. I can't wait! Hope the weather will not be too freezing for us both! Pomcoach:bounce:

I definately vote for the house rental. I too rented through vrbo and was very happy with the house that i will never stay in a hotel again. We stayed in Davenport..west on 192 to 27. It was about 10 minutes till disney. Not a bad drive though. Having the room and the private pool was the greatest. We had 3 teenage boys with us and they loved it. Im thinking about loooking for a house in Myrtly beach next. Have a ball!!!

Pomcoach,
I'm sure you already know this, but just in case, I thought I'd mention it - most of the pool homes in the area have pool heat available (although they usually charge extra for it). If your home owner hasn't mentioned it, you might ask them. Hope you have a great trip! You'll love renting a house.

SB - is that you from the old G2O site ? If it is...great to see you are still around.

Vacation homes.....things are picking up again now after all the recent turmoil and if you do want to stay around Christmas time I would strongly suggest you get your skates on !

If this is your first time in a home...you're in for a treat. More room, your own pool and your own little piece of Florida ! If there are a few of you coming, you'll find it is cheaper than staying in a hotel.

Pool heat....you will definately need it at this time of year ! Most homes have heaters these days and the rates do vary depending upon type of heater and management co.

Have fun !

Yes, we paid about $130 extra for pool heat. The tax was included in there somewhere. We figured what good is a pool of your own if it feels like Iowa! We are getting pretty eager, since there's not many days left. My husband was thinking they said the pool would be 88 degrees and the hot tub 102 degrees, but we really can't remember for sure. Can't wait to see the home and just escape for awhile! Pomcoach:bounce:

Hi FL!

Yes, it's me. Good to "see" you too. I love it here, but I still kind of miss the old board. I've tried to keep a watch out for DisneyDave too, but I haven't seen anything that looked like him over here. Have you heard from him and how he is?

BTW, I still drop your name whenever I see someone ask about a home that will take pets. That's a major help for some of us animal lovers.

Glad to hear business is picking up. Best of luck for the new year!

sb

Hi ya !
Great to hear from you...I haven't heard from DD. A great shame that he hasn't come over here.:(
Take care.

We just returned from 8 nights in a 3 bdrm/2 bath villa in Davenport. I will NEVER stay in a hotel again! The house was beautiful and only 10 min from WDW. We had great weather and used the pool and hot tub every day. I would strongly recommend renting a house to anyone as it is so much more private. We only paid $80/night and it was well worth it!

Good news, macdoodle!

I know you were skeptical but it sounds like yours was a great experience. Welcome back and thanks for the thumbs up!

May I ask why people are so sceptical about staying in a home ?

What's so different between staying in a hotel ?

Frankly I just don't understand the fear.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter