• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anybody rented a Vacation Home?

Several years ago we stayed at Holiday Villas and they were teriffic! Yes, every bit as nice as they look in the photos, and the 2 br was $79/nite, 3 br was $89/nt. Each villa didn't have its own pool, but we have a snake phobia that is unmanageable and didn't want to even think about having to deal with this. The resort's pool was fine, maybe a little small but we aren't pool people (only went 2x during the week) so it didn't matter to us. I personally think a home is the way to go, especially if you are sharing it with another couple or family, which REALLY keeps the price down! We had two families in ours (me, DH and DD, my sis, bil and niece) and had plenty of space. Loved the kitchen, and also the washer and dryer. We had the 3br, but nover used the 3rd br (got the 3br as we were skeptical about homes, too, worried about space). Go with the home for a real vacation, where you have privacy and space!

FL:

I DO understand the skepticism... it all seems too good to be true! :D

I sent you a PM!

My question is: Are we still better off to stay on-site. We have 2 families and 4 teens (ages 13-16) and were wondering if the little pools at the homes were going to be enough for these kids. We figured on-site they can take buses on their own.

A lot of the houses do have what I call postage stamp pools, however when you check on the house get the specific dimensions of the pool. They will probably try to tell you that it's a regular sized pool. Make them give you the actual size. You can still find houses with 15' x 30' or 16' x 32' pools.

The last time we rented a house, we had 3 adults (me, DH, and SIL) and 7 kids (6, 10, 12, 13, 14, 17, and 18). We had a 3 BR house. My husband's parents rented a house across the street, but all of the kids wound up staying at our house. We rented with Hayes Vacation Home Rentals, and the pool was 16' x 32'. We had room for everyone and were very comfortable. We enjoyed eating out by the pool. The washer and dryer were lifesavers for everyone. I find it much more relaxing (especially with teenagers! LOL) to be able to have more privacy.

sbclifton is absolutely right regarding pools. The majority of builders are building a 27 x 13 pool thesedays so do check on the size. We are shortly going to revise our web site to include a pool description on each house. A 27 x 13 pool is fine for 4 - 6 people but if you have a larger family coming with you, you might want something larger.

30 x 15 pools and larger are becoming rare and are usually to be found in older houses - 5-10 years old.

Something that you may want to consider...more and more houses are having a spa. This can act as a kids pool and is great fun.

Vacation homes ARE big news in the Orlando area, and they simply represent great value for money, especially for larger groups.

However, I can understand some of the scepticism because there are some 'rogue' operators out there who have less than high standards and have given the business an unfortunate reputation in some areas. It is important to ensure a company can back up its claims with a substantial organisation like the Better Business Bureau or Central Florida Property Managers Association. Three companies I will always vouch for on a personal basis in this respect, because I've seen what they do and know they guarantee a consistent, high-quality service are: Premier Vacation Homes, Alexander Holiday Homes and Florida Leisure. They all also boast excellent web-sites, and what you see IS what you get!

This was a wonderful home with an oversize master bathroom tub and a separate shower room and wc room (toilet) the property was immaculate the overall impression was great care was given to this home, it had three bedrooms but I was only billed for two which is what I requested, the pool was screen enclosed and just the right size and heated, again at no additional charge (it was posted on the website at $150 a week for heating) I was never bothered by salesman or anybody at all! The only people I saw were the groundskeeper and the bug guy spraying. The kitchen had all the latest in appliances and a good central airconditioning. There were several homes nearby also displaying the Prestige Vacation Home Emblems, it was like a countryclub feeling. The home itself was a few miles south of hiway 192 towards Haines City off of Loughman Rd. it was a straight shot north and then a mile to the main entrance of WDW. There was a large TV in the main room and another in the master bedroom, both with cable. There was a central fire/intrusion alarm system and electronic door locks. I would have gussed this place to rent for $250-300 a night but again I paid only $66 a night, I came back home to Alaska last thursday night with over $1600 left over from my original booking to stay at the Disney Institute which I cancelled and recieved the refund the day before we left for Orlando. Again the website is; Families First I am not getting anything back for endorsing this service it was just a limited reduction of pricing due to recent tourism dropoffs but I would definately stay there instead of in the park even if the lodging prices were the same. We had privacy, it was soooo quiet no kids running around, no late parties nothing but the birds and the sun and of course the groundskeeper once in a while. my kids kept talking more about swimming at this home than WDW, which they have already forgotten about. I may possibly consider moving to Florida and for my first month till I find permanet lodging I would rent this home, it made me feel like I was wealthy.:D

Mr D
Glad you enjoyed yourself !
Families First are a booking agency and do not have any control over where you actually end up. They rent homes from management companies.
At the moment business is slow everywhere and that is the reason you got such a great deal -fantastic deals are around now and even for Christmas, which is normally peak season.
From a buying a home front, if you are serious, there isn't a better time to do it - there are many bargains to be had. Take your time, do your homework and do not rush things - the market will stay like this into the New Year.

Thanks to everyone for responding. After reading what everyone had to say I definately will not hesitate to rent a house. Love the idea of all the space, own pool, and being able to "raid the fridge" with the grandkids and rest of the family.:cool:

Hi,

we are renting a home with Travel City who I belive use Orlando Vacation Homes (property management company). - Anyone know anything about this company? Apparently we are on an 'allocation upon arrival' deal but I do know it has 3 bedrooms, in the Kissimmee area with a heated screened pool and is classed as 'Luxury' but not 'Executive' - any help would be appreciated.

Also, I was thinking of asking for the Villa to be decorated for us (we arrive on 21st December - 4th Jan). Anyone know if this is possible - would like a Xmas tree and some lights?

Thanks,

Jennie

Thanks for the review, Mr.D. Glad you had a great time. It makes me even MORE sure that I want to go the vacation home route!

Jennie,
Orlando Vacation Homes.....do you have a contact name or address? Travel City use various local management companies.
Most management companies won't do Christmas decorations but if you can get a small friendly company they will. We do it for guests who request it but it normally costs in the region of $125 depending on what the guest actually wants.

Hi,

Thanks for replying. I do not have a contact name or address, TC were not very keen to tell me the name of the Property Management Company. Once we are there I could try and arrange to have the decorations put up while we were out one day - the kids would love to come home to that. What I would like is a tree and some inside decorations only. Not too bothered about the outside being lit - the problem we have now is time. We go on Friday AM and I finish work today - I do not have access to the boards after this afternoon - if you could recommend a contact before 3.00pm my time - 10.00am your time - that would be fantastic.

Many thanks

Jennie

Jennie,
The cheapest solution would be to buy a tree and some decorations yourself. Have some fun with the kids setting it up ! I don't know of anyone who can do this for you as they will need access to the house via your management company. The MC is the best bet if they will do it for you...try giving them a call - I've tried looking them up in the phone directory but they aren't listed in my book.
Have a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter