Anyone bring a portable safe for the pool or beach?

But also, I'd hate to be taking up a chair for hours just because I needed a place to put my stuff.
Wouldn't you need a place to put your towel, at a minimum?

Chairs are already in high demand.
IMO this particular "problem" is greatly exaggerated. I've been to Aulani twice with a party of 8 and we've never had any issue getting seats all together at all times of day.

But regardless, everyone has a towel on their chair an a towel + phone doesn't take up any more space than a towel alone would.

We use a lockable bag. Google Kyss bags and you should find them. We use it at the beach, airport, etc.
I have a Kyss bag that I use on international beaches when cruising. It's quite heavy so I only use it when I know that I will leave my phone/wallet at my chair while I go into the ocean. I just take my chances and tuck my phone away while onboard the ship and when I go to pools at resorts (like WDW resorts).

If someone really wants to steal your stuff, they are going to, a professional thief knows what they are doing and is prepared. A pair of bolt cutters will snap the chain of one of those "safes" in about 2 seconds. And they don't need large bolt cutters, either. Leave valuables in the room safe, take your basics and your key - it doesn't have a room number printed on it so if it's stolen the likelihood of someone getting into your room with it is VERY low. And you can't charge back to the room without a PIN. Wear your sunglasses on a leash or buy cheap ones for poolside. Put your phone in a waterproof pouch and take it with you if it's necessary for you to have it at the pool. And I think the sunscreen is safe.

Never used anything but always think about it (too late since afterward or while I’m the pool).

If someone really wants to steal your stuff, they are going to, a professional thief knows what they are doing and is prepared. A pair of bolt cutters will snap the chain of one of those "safes" in about 2 seconds. And they don't need large bolt cutters, either. Leave valuables in the room safe, take your basics and your key - it doesn't have a room number printed on it so if it's stolen the likelihood of someone getting into your room with it is VERY low. And you can't charge back to the room without a PIN. Wear your sunglasses on a leash or buy cheap ones for poolside. Put your phone in a waterproof pouch and take it with you if it's necessary for you to have it at the pool. And I think the sunscreen is safe.
Oh, come on. Locks and chains and other deterrents are just that: deterrents. Of course, a "professional" thief can cut through a chain. But how many "professional" thieves are hanging around Aulani? We're talking about casual thieves, the ones who just take things that are easy to take. Or kids. Kids pick up stuff all the time.

Anyway, there are no cheap prescriptions sunglasses to wear at the pool when you have eyesight like mine. :(

I would suggest locking valuables and wallets in the room safe and only bringing your room key to the pool. The room key is linked to your credit card, protected by a pin. It will get you through your time at the pool if you are looking to purchase drinks and food.

Things like sunscreen and such can disappear, too. Because you people forgot their owns and just nip it. But if you are afraid of that, just take a small travel size bottle with you and possibly refill it every evening. Most sunscreens shouldn’t be out in the heat for too long anyway.

I also would recommend not to leave your nicest shoes at your beach chair.

For phone and room key I would recommend a water proof pouch. In my opinion a lockable bag already advertises to everyone: here is something valuable. So, keeping it in you is the safest option.

Just reaffirming what most said.
1- Wallet stays in room
2- room key (which doesnt have your room number on it), at chair in shoes or in a bag with sunscreen.
3- Sunglasses either leave at chair or wear. If someone steals my bag- oh well.

Use draw string bag. You can loop bag around chair if you feel its necessary which would prevent someone from grabbing and go.

I’m you are that worried about your glasses. Bring readers if you feel you need to lock up your glasses. Ive worn cheap readers and cheap sunglasses to read, before I found reader sunglasses.

If you cant see without glasses not sure I wouldn’t have a pair I could wear in the water. If you need to, go with water proof pouch.

While theft can happen anywhere, Ive had car keys, wallet, IPad or nook, as well as phone in bag. Bag under the chair or on chair covered with towel.

Just relax and have a good time.

I’ll venture to say that’s only funny to people who’ve never had their wallet stolen. Especially a few thousand miles from home.
I only take 1 credit card and some cash if needed and leave wallet in room safe. I also have a photo of my drivers license in my phone. We thought my wife lost her license in a trip, you can still fly but it takes extra time to verify who you are, I figure copy of license could help. On cruise I always have photo copy of passport/license.

I leave my things on a table by my chairs. I don't know how anyone could enjoy a vacation living with this level of paranoia and distrust of the world.
My daughters shoes were stolen at the GF last year. We were the only people with a toddler girl in the pool at the time in the evening. Her shoes are a popular kids brand. It was a bummer because we were having such a good time at that moment. My concern this time knowing and reading that this happens at multiple resorts is that we have to carry medication at all times and can’t have that stolen if someone picked up the bag containing it. It cannot get wet.

I’m you are that worried about your glasses. Bring readers if you feel you need to lock up your glasses. Ive worn cheap readers and cheap sunglasses to read, before I found reader sunglasses.

If you cant see without glasses not sure I wouldn’t have a pair I could wear in the water. If you need to, go with water proof pouch.
That's not how it works. I don't wear readers. I wear glasses to assist with medium- to long-distance viewing. My near vision is fine without glasses. So, I have no need to wear glasses in the pool and an absolute need to wear them outside of the pool. They will be on my chair with my stuff or else I'll be walking around blind all day until I go back to my room to get them.

It's all good to say that your stuff hasn't ever been stolen, but mine has been. It didn't happen at Aulani, but I don't see why it couldn't happen there just as easily as it happens at other hotels. There's nothing special about wealthy people that stops them from stealing and even wealthy people have kids that don't always know better or just don't care. And, since I'll be there this fall, I can assure you all that not everyone at Aulani is wealthy, anyway.

That's not how it works. I don't wear readers. I wear glasses to assist with medium- to long-distance viewing. My near vision is fine without glasses. So, I have no need to wear glasses in the pool and an absolute need to wear them outside of the pool. They will be on my chair with my stuff or else I'll be walking around blind all day until I go back to my room to get them.

It's all good to say that your stuff hasn't ever been stolen, but mine has been. It didn't happen at Aulani, but I don't see why it couldn't happen there just as easily as it happens at other hotels. There's nothing special about wealthy people that stops them from stealing and even wealthy people have kids that don't always know better or just don't care. And, since I'll be there this fall, I can assure you all that not everyone at Aulani is wealthy, anyway.
I am quite lost without my glasses, so I wear them to the pool regularly. It can g done. So, keep them on, it will also help you enjoy the scenery around you! Or think about getting one day contact lenses for time in the water.

I totally get being afraid of things disappearing not just theft, but because someone thinks it’s funny to take something. Especially vital things like glasses.

Oh, come on. Locks and chains and other deterrents are just that: deterrents. Of course, a "professional" thief can cut through a chain. But how many "professional" thieves are hanging around Aulani? We're talking about casual thieves, the ones who just take things that are easy to take. Or kids. Kids pick up stuff all the time.

Anyway, there are no cheap prescriptions sunglasses to wear at the pool when you have eyesight like mine. :(
Unlikely there is a market for prescription sunglasses with your script.

The portable "safe" tells professional thieves where to hit first.

So I agree that if at all - in most situations it would be most likely a kid grabbing something ez to grab at a place like Aulani.

But since your sunglasses are prescription - and useless to anyone else but you seem concerned about their theft I can only assume they’re a high end brand or in a case that has a label? That makes them a target? If the Gucci (or other) case is in a bag when you hit the pool then they’re less likely to be noticed. Or they are just typical sunglasses to the casual onlooker and you’re afraid of not having them because they’re your only prescription ones. Either way - having them in a bag while not at the chair is the best way to avoid an easy grab.

Again - if you need further peace of mind throw your pool necessities in a kyss beach bag - they can give you that. Nobody is going to be walking around in broad daylight with bolt/chain cutters or trying to unlock your combination! My medium bag was $50ish 7 years ago.

And in the super unfortunate instance that you lose your prescription sunglasses or they get nicked, it’s nice that there is a Costco nearby and you could get some inexpensive but serviceable ones made quickly! Perhaps have your script along if you’re this concerned and it will give you vacay peace of mind.

We all have different things that hang us up and we are just here to help one another and get help too! Have a great trip.

So I agree that if at all - in most situations it would be most likely a kid grabbing something ez to grab at a place like Aulani.

But since your sunglasses are prescription - and useless to anyone else but you seem concerned about their theft I can only assume they’re a high end brand or in a case that has a label? That makes them a target? If the Gucci (or other) case is in a bag when you hit the pool then they’re less likely to be noticed. Or they are just typical sunglasses to the casual onlooker and you’re afraid of not having them because they’re your only prescription ones. Either way - having them in a bag while not at the chair is the best way to avoid an easy grab.
They're just normal prescription sunglasses. The arm says Nike, but that's just what they had at the optical shop that I could get with a good insurance discount. They're my only prescription sunglasses, though!

I'll definitely have a bag with me.
Again - if you need further peace of mind throw your pool necessities in a kyss beach bag - they can give you that. Nobody is going to be walking around in broad daylight with bolt/chain cutters or trying to unlock your combination! My medium bag was $50ish 7 years ago.
I think I'll do just that! I'm grateful that the original poster made this topic and that someone recommended Kyss bags. I'll probably go with those. The medium Kyss II bag is $60 these days on their website.
And in the super unfortunate instance that you lose your prescription sunglasses or they get nicked, it’s nice that there is a Costco nearby and you could get some inexpensive but serviceable ones made quickly! Perhaps have your script along if you’re this concerned and it will give you vacay peace of mind.

We all have different things that hang us up and we are just here to help one another and get help too! Have a great trip.
Good to know! I'll make sure to that a photo of the prescription, just in case.

, it’s nice that there is a Costco nearby and you could get some inexpensive but serviceable ones made quickly! P
COSTCO optical doesn't have labs in their stores. You typically get your glasses in 10-14 days.

If the posters script is anything like mine was none of the same day places will handle it and many places won't make your glasses. Walmart is the best chain for high scripts. It was the only chain that would fill mine

A pair of sunglasses which go over regular glasses would be the safety net. Depending on your prescription clips might be a safety net

COSTCO optical doesn't have labs in their stores. You typically get your glasses in 10-14 days.

If the posters script is anything like mine was none of the same day places will handle it and many places won't make your glasses. Walmart is the best chain for high scripts. It was the only chain that would fill mine

A pair of sunglasses which go over regular glasses would be the safety net. Depending on your prescription clips might be a safety net
I guess the safety net is my regular glasses. It's harder to drive with those, but I'll survive the week. I'd still rather not lose my sunglasses, of course!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter