• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone Dis lovers doing the keto diet and dining at WDW?

jerseygirlmk

Mouseketeer
Hi are any fellow people in the keto diet? I'm curious about being gluten free and sugar free at Disney?

I'm staying Keto whilst at Disney World. I carefully peruse menus and bring my own additions (pink salt for my water, coconut oil and butter for my coffee, monkfruit for sweetener, my own salad dressings, etc.), eating cheese boards and charcuterie platters and salads and bunless burgers and turkey legs and pickles and staying on my path!

Oh thank you! Great ideas! What brand of sweetener do you use?
I am really sensitive to sweeteners, so I can only use Monkfruit. I use a liquid version called Whole Earth. It doesn't have any filler ingredients, just citric acid. I can also drink Zevia sodas, which I will probably bring on the trip.

Oh thank you! I hate the aftertaste of stevia! I will try it! We are going in November! I have to set up my fast pass!

I'm on Atkins which is the original Keto diet. 'cept one week out of the year. The Disney week. It's not that hard to stay on it though. But man, just too many awesome dishes at Disney and I'm not gaining anything significant back while off the diet.

You'll find it fairly simple to stay on your diet. You already have the willpower. It comes with a low carb lifestyle.

Yes I was gluten free prior as well but was eating all of the great gluten free extra sugary items and thereby gaining weight! This is working so much better! The only thing I may cheat with is some wine lol but I have read that dry red is ok.

Oh thank you! I hate the aftertaste of stevia! I will try it! We are going in November! I have to set up my fast pass!
We'll be there November, too! If you're there during Food and Wine, the menus are up. I've already identified a few lower carb foods I want :) lots of foreign food is more Keto friendly.

I'm keto at home, and have guidelines while I'm at Disney since I find I can eat more than 20g of carbs and stay in keto. That said, if I want to splurge, I do. I bring truvia packets with me, salt, carry roasted nuts and quest bars and protein powder. I do turkey legs for many lunches and mostly steaks or seafood for dinner at TS. I do however cheat with ice cream and custard desserts. I can't resist L'Artisan des Glaces in France for example. While I can't vouch that I'm always in ketosis while I'm there, I don't gain weight or get carb crashes either, so I assume I'm doing well. I've been keto for 3 years now, so I think I understand my limits pretty well.

We'll be there November, too! If you're there during Food and Wine, the menus are up. I've already identified a few lower carb foods I want :) lots of foreign food is more Keto friendly.
Oh thank you!! Anything good I should look out for? Also, do you ever enjoy a cocktail? I will sure miss the Grand Marnier slushies.

I'm keto at home, and have guidelines while I'm at Disney since I find I can eat more than 20g of carbs and stay in keto. That said, if I want to splurge, I do. I bring truvia packets with me, salt, carry roasted nuts and quest bars and protein powder. I do turkey legs for many lunches and mostly steaks or seafood for dinner at TS. I do however cheat with ice cream and custard desserts. I can't resist L'Artisan des Glaces in France for example. While I can't vouch that I'm always in ketosis while I'm there, I don't gain weight or get carb crashes either, so I assume I'm doing well. I've been keto for 3 years now, so I think I understand my limits pretty well.
Oh do I love the glace....I wish they could come up with a sugar free version lol...I will cheat with wine however. :)

If you hate the bitter stevia aftertaste, I'd try Swerve. It's my sweetener of choice when cooking or baking. It's a mix of erythritol and stevia that somehow counteracts the bitter aftertaste of stevia and the cooling effect of erythritol. Unfortuantely, it does not come in packet form (that I know of). Truvia is similar though, so I carry that.

I forgot to mention that I usually carry biltong too - that's South African dried beef. Doesn't contain the added sugars American jerky does!

Oh do I love the glace....I wish they could come up with a sugar free version lol...I will cheat with wine however. :)

Wine is a good compromise - I've learned to appreciate dry reds! It's also a tradition of mine to get a glass of something in WS Italy when we pass through. Honestly, Disney "pours" are miniscule and the plastic wine glasses are just as tiny. In a way it's good, less to feel bad about!

Oh thank you!! Anything good I should look out for? Also, do you ever enjoy a cocktail? I will sure miss the Grand Marnier slushies.

I am learning to enjoy sugar-free liquor. I make my own pseudo margaritas with sparkling lime water and lime essential oil, and there are many low carb hard liquors. Alas, the day of cocktails is gone. I'm a big fan of dry reds, so that helps.

Oh! Also wanted to remind you that at Starbucks, you can always ask for your drink to be made breve or with heavy whipping cream.

If you hate the bitter stevia aftertaste, I'd try Swerve. It's my sweetener of choice when cooking or baking. It's a mix of erythritol and stevia that somehow counteracts the bitter aftertaste of stevia and the cooling effect of erythritol. Unfortuantely, it does not come in packet form (that I know of). Truvia is similar though, so I carry that.

I forgot to mention that I usually carry biltong too - that's South African dried beef. Doesn't contain the added sugars American jerky does!

Wine is a good compromise - I've learned to appreciate dry reds! It's also a tradition of mine to get a glass of something in WS Italy when we pass through. Honestly, Disney "pours" are miniscule and the plastic wine glasses are just as tiny. In a way it's good, less to feel bad about!
Oh thank you so much! I do hate stevia! The people on the keto FB group I'm on recommend swerve too! I have to purchase that! I have to look into that biltong too! I'm only on week 3 but doing so well! I appreciate all of your suggestions so much! By the way I did purchase fat snax which take away my chocolate chip cookie craving lol. So good!

I am learning to enjoy sugar-free liquor. I make my own pseudo margaritas with sparkling lime water and lime essential oil, and there are many low carb hard liquors. Alas, the day of cocktails is gone. I'm a big fan of dry reds, so that helps.
Me too! Love my Cabernet! ❤️

I'll be doing 15 days of Keto Disney in October/November. I imagine it'll be about as lazy keto as possible, and with a few less-than-perfect choices, but I'm going to attempt to keep it under 20 net carbs most days. We have DVC so I'll cook most of my food, and I'm generally only 1 or 2 meals a day because of intermittent fasting, so mostly I'll just have to make sure I'm getting enough water and electrolytes and not losing my mind over Dole Whips.

I'd love to see good food reviews/recommendations from anyone who has gone or goes before me.

I'll be doing 15 days of Keto Disney in October/November. I imagine it'll be about as lazy keto as possible, and with a few less-than-perfect choices, but I'm going to attempt to keep it under 20 net carbs most days. We have DVC so I'll cook most of my food, and I'm generally only 1 or 2 meals a day because of intermittent fasting, so mostly I'll just have to make sure I'm getting enough water and electrolytes and not losing my mind over Dole Whips.

I'd love to see good food reviews/recommendations from anyone who has gone or goes before me.
Yes I would love to know what has worked for others too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter