Anyone done Keys to the Kingdom AND Backstage Magic tours?

asafko

Mouseketeer
My daughter (age 16) and husband did the Keys to the Kingdom tour on our recent trip and absolutely loved it. We are thinking of doing Disney again next summer and was thinking about having them do the Backstage tour. I was wondering if it would be too much like Keys to the Kingdom (cover a lot of the same stuff). If anyone has done both, can you tell me if it would be different enough to make it worth it?

It is completely different. It goes beyond MK.
I have done them each twice.
Do it, so worth it!

• Epcot
    Explore the inner workings of The American Adventure, as we reveal the feats of engineering and artistry behind this inspiring Audio-Animatronics stage show.
  • Magic Kingdom Park
    Become immersed in the story that started with Walt himself on Main Street, U.S.A.—navigate the “utilidor” tunnels, a network of underground passageways constructed beneath the theme park so Disney Cast Members and delivery vehicles can move around undetected.
  • Creative Costuming
    Observe the talented professionals who design costumes for Character, show and parade performers.
  • Central Shops
    Get up close with the artisans whose skill and craftsmanship make dreams come true all around the park— from the tiniest details to elaborate stage sets.
  • Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
    Settle in for a delicious family-style barbeque lunch at Whispering Canyon Café—included with your tour.
  • Textile Services
    Unfold an experience like no other within one of the world’s largest laundry facilities—complete with a unique photo opportunity!

I agree with the above. I also have done each twice. Very different. And both well worht the time and money.

Don't forget the 15% discount for DVC, AP or Disney Visa.

I have done both on the same trip! They are different and both well worth it!

Did both. Loved KTTK, was very disappointed in BSM - felt like there was very little “meat” for the price charged. Would do KTTK again in a heartbeat, though.

I am wondering this same thing, I was planning on and SO EXCITED for the Keys to the Kingdom but I was dumb and didnt book it, and now they are all booked up. Backstage Magic is available, but I am worried for the price tag it wont be worth it for me. It will end up costing us almost $800.00 with our stupid exchange rate.

I've done both of the tours on the same trip - they were both awesome. Backstage Magic was a better tour in my opinion. The trip to central shops is worth the ticket price.

Did both. Loved KTTK, was very disappointed in BSM - felt like there was very little “meat” for the price charged. Would do KTTK again in a heartbeat, though.
I completely agree. Loved Keys to the Kingdom , but was very disappointed with Backstage Magic. Backstage Magic takes up an entire day, and cost more than twice as much. I did enjoy the "costume shop" part of Backstage Magic, but thought the other things on the agenda were pretty boring and that the tour was not worth the money or the time. As another poster said, the tour starts out at Epcot at American Adventure. We were very disappointed with that; there were too many people on the tour and we couldn't see anything because we were at the back of the crowd, and couldn't see over the tops of other people's heads. we tried to find our tour guides to find out if there somewhere else we could stand, but it was a dark backstage and we couldn't find the guides. The tour spent about 15 or 20 minutes in that backstage area, and after five minutes of not being able to see anything we just walked back outside. That pretty much set the tone for the rest of the day. At Hollywood Studios, the tour guide stood in front of a backstage ride car for Tower of Terror for a few minutes, and explained a little bit about how the ride worked (how the cars go up and down). Didn't even get to go on the ride itself, just looked at a ride car for five minutes and that was it.

I've loved two of the three tours that I've gone on (also did the behind-the-scenes Backstage Safari several years ago at Animal Kingdom, and loved it!). Really wanted to like Backstage Magic, but simply didn't.

Last edited:
Does Keys to the Kingdom take you to the Utilidors?
I really want to see them!

Does Keys to the Kingdom take you to the Utilidors?
I really want to see them!
Yes it does.

Experience an Urban Legend
Enter the underground service tunnels to uncover a mystery that’s absolutely, almost unbelievably, true!

The Guest-accessible areas of Magic Kingdom park are actually on the second floor of a massive structure. The "tunnel" below, known as the Utilidor, allows Cast Members, deliveries and even rubbish to be unknowingly transported below Guests’ feet as they wait in line for their favorite attractions. You’ve got to see the Utilidor for yourself!

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/magic-kingdom/keys-to-the-kingdom-tour/

As a former CM at MK, Backstage Magic in May 2014 was disappointing because the Utilidor part was very quick and only one small portion. I was so excited to do Keys to the Kingdom in Oct 2018 because the Utilidor part was much more involved - we walked many of the areas I used to frequent.
That said, I’m glad I did both tours. Backstage Magic showed me things that I hadn’t seen in the other parks.

We did the Keys to the Kingdom tour 5 years ago and my husband still talks about it. Totally worth doing.

broke arm one finger typing. I went on both, bsm in 2012 and 2016. I would go w/keys. they have eliminated a lot of the backstage. studios cut down time spent at tower ride but it was still informative from 2012 to 2016. ak has been completely cut. 2012 was jam jungle parade floats and 2016 was talk w/conservation cm before opening of rol. time to refresh. I would love to see backstage rol since the destinations tour will be losing backstage illuminations barge portion in 2019. same w/studio, it would be cool to see behind beauty and beast production.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter