Anyone else feeling nervous about these Boeing issues?

Kim&Chris

DIS Veteran
I am a terrified flyer to begin with, and all of these Boeing issues, combined with the whistleblower incident, are making me a little more terrified. Just wondering if anyone else is feeling a little nervous?

Not really. Still think flying is safer than driving the Interstate. At least at this point, those Max planes that were pulled because of the side blowing out of the Alaskan Airline have all been thoroughly inspected and are flight-ready. I might actually prefer seeing one of those pull up to the gate right now!

I am a terrified flyer to begin with, and all of these Boeing issues, combined with the whistleblower incident, are making me a little more terrified. Just wondering if anyone else is feeling a little nervous?
Ayup! Right there with you!
We have not flown since 2019 and are heading to Disney soon.
My husband says if we go down, at least we will go out together!

Yeah - I tend to stick with Air Bus or older proven Boeings when I book - wont fly Embraer either.

Not really. Still think flying is safer than driving the Interstate. At least at this point, those Max planes that were pulled because of the side blowing out of the Alaskan Airline have all been thoroughly inspected and are flight-ready. I might actually prefer seeing one of those pull up to the gate right now!

I visit an aviation forum and the general consensus after the MCAS crashes was that the Max planes were the most heavily scrutinized planes in the air after being grounded. People in the industry said they would fly on them without hesitation. Now those same people are very, very quiet.

To be honest, there's always that bit of anxiety getting on a plane with 100+ other people and climbing to 6-7 miles above the Earth! But that slight anxiety has been with us for decades - not really increased or decreased lately. I remember the days when hi-jacking was a concern, so we've been flying a long time. There's no doubt there are risks - just like many things in life.....

Not a bit nervous. Flying is the safest form of transportation and nothing is guaranteed in this life.

As far as the whistleblower. All indications are that he committed suicide. Tragic? Absolutely. But that tragedy happens every single day. Mental illness is real and the stress we have in our daily lives can seem insurmountable even to the so called strongest of people.

Not a bit nervous. Flying is the safest form of transportation and nothing is guaranteed in this life.

As far as the whistleblower. All indications are that he committed suicide. Tragic? Absolutely. But that tragedy happens every single day. Mental illness is real and the stress we have in our daily lives can seem insurmountable even to the so called strongest of people.

Oh you’re definitely right, flying is the safest it has ever been. That doesn’t discount what is happening inside Boeing right now and the hesitancy to use their planes. If you look at what the whistleblower was alleging, it’s scary stuff. His lawyers just came out and said he was in great spirits before his “suicide” and they were shocked, so it’s at least a little suspicious. I understand you can never tell when someone is about to do it, but come on- the timing of it all is at least suspicious if you don’t take everything in life at face value.

Oh you’re definitely right, flying is the safest it has ever been. That doesn’t discount what is happening inside Boeing right now and the hesitancy to use their planes. If you look at what the whistleblower was alleging, it’s scary stuff. His lawyers just came out and said he was in great spirits before his “suicide” and they were shocked, so it’s at least a little suspicious. I understand you can never tell when someone is about to do it, but come on- the timing of it all is at least suspicious if you don’t take everything in life at face value.
Understood. But I say control what you can control. The rest just isn't up to us. The alternative, not fly? That's not a rational alternative in my mind. To each their own of course.

Tell you the truth American's fares are about on par with Southwest into Florida and they fly Airbus on my routes. Whereas Southwest still uses Max.

Flying is the safest form of transportation
Totally agree, but after you have been a a flight that dropped in the middle of the Atlantic, so much so that the Air Staff was very concerned and looked scared, it takes years to get over that - at least for me.

That said it feels like Air Travel is safer than it has ever been - and just driving to work is more dangerous than ever.
(knock on wood)

There have been some incidents, but the planes landed in the end so like they say in Airborne school any landing you can walk away from is a good landing.

Totally agree, but after you have been a a flight that dropped in the middle of the Atlantic, so much so that the Air Staff was very concerned and looked scared, it takes years to get over that - at least for me.

That said it feels like Air Travel is safer than it has ever been - and just driving to work is more dangerous than ever.
(knock on wood)

There have been some incidents, but the planes landed in the end so like they say in Airborne school any landing you can walk away from is a good landing.
Haha! Tell my knees that's true! After 100+ static line landings, I switched to the square shutes. Aww, now that's living! Ft Benning, not such fond memories 8-)

Honestly I'm not at all worried. I know that statistics are a poor comfort to those that are concerned but you are more likely to be in an auto accident on the way to the airport than have an issue with the plane.

I'll never get on a plane again. At least not a commercial aircraft. Not afraid to fly, I'm a helicopter pilot. My problem is commercial air travel is such a painful process, a true PITA I'm not willing to put up with any longer.
EDIT: Sorry, this thread is about safety. I'm fairly sure the flight process itself is still safe. My worries would be is the maintenance crew keeping up with all the service. These planes turn around a lot in a 24 hour period. Plus the skies are pretty crowded now and ATC is very very busy in some areas.

Last edited:
I'll never get on a plane again. At least not a commercial aircraft. Not afraid to fly, I'm a helicopter pilot. My problem is commercial air travel is such a painful process, a true PITA I'm not willing to put up with any longer.
EDIT: Sorry, this thread is about safety. I'm fairly sure the flight process itself is still safe. My worries would be is the maintenance crew keeping up with all the service. These planes turn around a lot in a 24 hour period. Plus the skies are pretty crowded now and ATC is very very busy in some areas.
Totally agree. The process is a PITA and mostly for show IMO

One reason Ill pay a little more to fly on an Airline I trust I hope they do better maintenance - that may or may not be true - but Ill go with it.

I know that statistics are a poor comfort to those that are concerned but you are more likely to be in an auto accident on the way to the airport than have an issue with the plane.
Agreed - I hate flying, but the alternative is even worse - a 24+ hour drive to Orlando or a boat to Europe.
I've done the drive a few times and never gain.
The train is like two days - and not direct - so no thanks. I wish trains in the US were better.

I'd like to do the boat once just for the experience, but would never be a viable option on a regular bases.

Nope . At 35100 ft headed north over N Carolina now on a 727 Mac 8

There are over 10 Million Passenger flight a year in the USA. A very large % of these flights are Boeing planes. The number themself speak the odds of anything going wrong. There are a lot more airline maint. issues that are being reported by the media that never were before... They love to scare people. None of the issues including the air plug blow out caused any fatality which actually speaks to the safety of the planes much less the airline Maint. or lack of which the planes landed without harm. Not taking away from the recent Boeing issues as the door plug should not have happened and hopefully this country will help figure out a solution rather then hinder it otherwise we all will be in from some long travel times in the not so distant future.

There are over 10 Million Passenger flight a year in the USA. A very large % of these flights are Boeing planes. The number themself speak the odds of anything going wrong. There are a lot more airline maint. issues that are being reported by the media that never were before... They love to scare people. None of the issues including the air plug blow out caused any fatality which actually speaks to the safety of the planes much less the airline Maint. or lack of which the planes landed without harm. Not taking away from the recent Boeing issues as the door plug should not have happened and hopefully this country will help figure out a solution rather then hinder it otherwise we all will be in from some long travel times in the not so distant future.

I thought the consensus was if anyone was seated next to the door plug they would have been killed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter