Anyone else get anxious or feel melancholy before a vacation or trip?

LMDisneygirl

I'd rather be at Disney!
My title pretty much explains it all....but I always have something to add!

I find that when I am planning a trip, especially as it gets closer, I start to feel either anxious or sad/melancholy. I can understand it if I'm getting ready to go away and leave DH and the kids at home (or even just the kids with grandma or something), but it's so odd to me that I also feel this way when the whole family is going and we are all excited.

For one thing my mind starts to worry about different things that can go wrong - sickness, bedbugs (thanks to the Disboards! :laughing:), and.....well, I guess that's about it right now. But my stomach has been bugging me a little, and I know it's anxiety.

I'm doing pretty good with my pre-trip gathering and purchasing. We leave 2 weeks from tomorrow. Tonight I cleared an area in the living room and put up a card table and added a couple rubbermaid boxes where I could start a staging area. I've purchased most of the things from my "must get this before we leave" list. Just a few things left - some just linger until the very end, don't they? My packing list is pretty complete - including listing many of the clothing items we'll be bringing (so I don't have to make all these decisions about what to take while I'm actually packing).

Our package is paid for. I've had some really great weeks of working and have made the extra spending money we wanted to take with us.

(Sorry for the rambling. I think I am talking to myself as I type! :) )

Anyway, the anxious & melancholy thing happens to me whenever I am getting ready for a trip. So I was wondering if it happens to anyone else out there. I'm thinking maybe it's some deep seated childhood issue. :confused3 Weird!

Anyone else?

This exact thing has been happening to me for weeks. At the two week mark- I was pretty much packed. We leave in 4 days... I'm a nut right now. My body seems to be falling apart: migraines (daily), my jaw (I have TMJ issues) is SO sore I can hardly eat, can't sleep, I get very weepy, woke up this morning with abdominal pain... I know you are talking about the emotionality of it all, and I'm bringing up physical meltdowns, but I honestly think it's all connected. :confused3

I also get a little anxious (very anixous) before our trip. Tomorrow is our 2 month mark, so it hasn't happened yet. It usually starts to happen 3-4 weeks out. Hoping to calm myself this time around! We'll see! :confused3

Wow, I wish I was as prepared as you though! It would be nice if I could set up a place in my house for stuff to take. My DD4 would be all over it though. I have started to collect items for her for on the plane (busy items). :laughing: I usually start packing a day or two before...........:eek:. This year I think I'm going to start a little earlier (hopefully take a hint from you and start two weeks out).

Good luck and I hope you start to feel better soon! :)

This exact thing has been happening to me for weeks. At the two week mark- I was pretty much packed. We leave in 4 days... I'm a nut right now. My body seems to be falling apart: migraines (daily), my jaw (I have TMJ issues) is SO sore I can hardly eat, can't sleep, I get very weepy, woke up this morning with abdominal pain... I know you are talking about the emotionality of it all, and I'm bringing up physical meltdowns, but I honestly think it's all connected. :confused3

Good to know I'm not alone. I'm SURE it's all connected - the emotional and the physical. Once you arrive at WDW you'll be back to normal and ready for a great trip. Me too! Have a great time!!! :banana:

I also get a little anxious (very anixous) before our trip. Tomorrow is our 2 month mark, so it hasn't happened yet. It usually starts to happen 3-4 weeks out. Hoping to calm myself this time around! We'll see! :confused3

Wow, I wish I was as prepared as you though! It would be nice if I could set up a place in my house for stuff to take. My DD4 would be all over it though. I have started to collect items for her for on the plane (busy items). :laughing: I usually start packing a day or two before...........:eek:. This year I think I'm going to start a little earlier (hopefully take a hint from you and start two weeks out).

Good luck and I hope you start to feel better soon! :)

Thanks! For some reason, even though I am making lists and planning, planning, and more planning for months, I like to wait until the last minute to pack and things - thinking it will go so quickly since I have such great lists. Wrong! This time I'm trying to do it more in advance so I don't leave with my house in a disaster and feel all stressed by packing the day before we leave. Right now I just have a card table set up with a couple bins and all the new stuff I've bought thrown in there.

Once we get there, it will all be great!! :dance3:

I am definitely going to start packing early for this trip. Last year I forgot to pack mine and my boyfriends bathing suits. Of course, I had 3 suits packed for our DD. :rotfl2: She had a good time splashing around in the baby pool, but she really wanted to go on the lizard slide. So.............early packing is a MUST for me this year. I also decided to do some sort of checklist. I am not a checklist type person, but this year I am going to try it. We'll see! :confused:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter