Anyone else heading to Aulani in December?!!

Me, DH, DS(11) and DD(9) are taking in character breakfast and not sure for the rest of the day. Anyone doing something special?

What is everyone planning to do on Christmas Day?

Good question! I need to start figuring that out. Right now the plan is to do presents in our room in the morning. I have been thinking that might be the day we just relax and hang at the resort.

I have yet to read about any special stuff planned by the resort... but that doesnt mean its not happening. I think I need to find a Christmas Aulani Trip report.... or maybe someone who was there last year can chime in.

I just was reading this trip report by "jd99" who was there over last Christmas:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3042297

A couple of cool Aulani Christmas things that jd99 reported were:
jd99 said:
Santa came on Christmas eve morning before taking off on his long flight. He arrived at the entrance in a red convertible, greeted everyone, then went to Auntys for the morning.

and

jd99 said:
They had cookies and hot chocolate every night for a few nights leading up to and right after Christmas. Just set up in the lobby.

I'm getting so excited for our trip. I am saving up my Walgreens points to buy Disney themed Christmas decorations for our room. Does anyone know if there is a Walgreens near Aulani? I am also trying to think of some light weight presents to send ahead of time for my 16 and 12 year old boys. Any ideas?

When we went to WDW for Christmas a few years back I shipped the tree and a bunch of decorations and such. It was great.

I am afraid that shipping to Hawaii is a whole different thing. Super expensive. Enough that I am actually thinking it will be less pricey to pay to check another suitcase and pack that sort of stuff in it.

For a present we are thinking of booking a surfing lesson with Hawaii Fire (the firemen/ surf instructors). Light to pack and fun! (funny enough- my boys are the same age as yours!)

I have read good things about them on 2 separate trip reports:
http://www.hawaiianfire.com/Irons/about-us

Also...on the front page I have included some links to a few Holiday time Aulani Trip reports that I have read.... let me know if there is any other great info or TR's out there to add for folks planning a trip around the holidays. :santa:

Just added some links to the first post of this thread to help everyone with planning:
1) a couple of Holiday-time trip reports/threads
2) some great photos of the holiday decor

Let me know if you have any other great links to share!!:santa:

The countdown is getting closer and closer!!

Hi, we won't be there for Christmas but we are planning a trip for early in December. I hadn't even considered special holiday touches, we are just so happy to be going! I'll be back way before you leave so if there's specific things you want me to look out for and report back on, let me know! We are not DVC (yet...) but are staying cash in a 2BR villa.
Michelle, plus DH and DD age 5 and DS age 3

I will be at Aulani 12/4-12/13 because it is not peak season yet. Even though I own points for both Aulani and Baylake (11 month window), I rather be there when it isn't so crowded. Plus, I end up using less point during those none peak times.

Thanks Paul you have been added to the list! Someday when our vacations are not dictated by my kids school breaks we hope to go during the lighter seasons. Less points sounds really great right about now.

Pam, thanks for the idea about the surf lessons. I now have them booked! Also got our tickets for Pearl Harbor and Alcatraz(for our 4 days in San Francisco on the way back). Getting so excited!!

TALB said:
Pam, thanks for the idea about the surf lessons. I now have them booked! Also got our tickets for Pearl Harbor and Alcatraz(for our 4 days in San Francisco on the way back). Getting so excited!!

We were at Aulani last week and DD9 did the surf lessons with Hawaiian Fire (I went as a ride along) and she had an awesome time! The surfing instructors were fun but completely focused on safety. Definitely a highlight of our trip!! Bring along $50 cash if you want to purchase the flash drive of all of the photos (it's $65 if you buy it later). You can view the photos right there before purchasing.

Thats great! I need to get on that and figure out which day would be best for the surf lessons on our schedule... like tomorrow! I already had Pearl Harbor taken care of. Thats great that you guys are doing San Fransisco too... its on our list to get the boys there soon... really want to see the Disney Family Museum out at the Presidio.

We were at Aulani last week and DD9 did the surf lessons with Hawaiian Fire (I went as a ride along) and she had an awesome time! The surfing instructors were fun but completely focused on safety. Definitely a highlight of our trip!! Bring along $50 cash if you want to purchase the flash drive of all of the photos (it's $65 if you buy it later). You can view the photos right there before purchasing.

Thanks for the great tip amym2! I will defiinitely bring the cash to get the pics then. I have seen some of the pictures taken posted in TR's and they looked great.

We are going from 12/29-1/3. It will be me, my DH and two DDs (12 & 15) and my mom (85). We are staying in a 2-bedroom villa. We are coming from California.

I'm trying to figure how best to manage 3 generations. I haven't figured out any logistics -- rental car, excursions, etc. I'm also trying to figure out the balance between sightseeing and just chilling at Aulani! We've been to Hawaii but none of us have toured Oahu. We may just visit Pearl Harbor and that's it. I'd thought about doing one of the Lost tours at Kualoa Ranch -- we love that show -- but it seems expensive and very far from Aulani. What do you all think? What have your teens liked?

Has anyone been over New Years? What was it like?

Thanks DisneyJewel!! You are added to the growing list!

Great questions. I will do my best to aswer what I can, and hopefully others can chime in-

Rental Car: I really like the Costco Travel website and low prices... I had one reserved through them. Then I found this thread and with the coupon code's... wound up using one of them to get a car for $300 less that Costco Travel. So be sure to check that out. Cars are definitely more pricey during the holiday season so just be aware of that.

Here is the thread:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3179180

Pearl Harbor: I would highly recommend reserving a tour time on their website-
http://www.recreation.gov/tourSearchResult.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=72369&tourId=0

That way you are guaranteed a slot... they fill up fast so you might want to
get on that. My other recommendation is to do any touring early in the week when you are waking up super early and not on "Island Time" yet.

Excursions: I haven't done that tour yet, we were big fans of Lost too, I have read some trip reports from a couple of people that did it and while it looked cool it didnt look worth it to me. Maybe someone who has been there can convince us both!

-I do recommend going up to the North Shore one day... and checking out Turtle Beach goin to the Shrimp trucks up there and getting shave ice at Matsumotos.

-We are going to do a surf lesson with Hawaii Fire and also climb Diamond Head. The DH and I are going to do a tour of Shangri La--an amazing house built by Doris Duke-the boys are not interested in that so they are going to hang at the resort.

-If trying the local foods interests you, I had looked into doing this food tour of Honolulu called the "Hole in the Wall Food Tour" where they take you around to all these great places to try the different foods of Oahu- specifically Waikiki area. It looked cool but at $400 for all 4 of us, we decided to put together our own tour. I put DH in charge of researching this, and he is on it! I will post the list when he gets done if anyone is interested.

Last time DH and I were at Aulani for our anniversary minus the boys, we found that the early part of the week we were game for excursions in the morning and resort in the afternoon. By about the mid way mark in the trip we just wanted to hang at the resort... so my huge list of things I wanted to still do just got pushed aside, and we relaxed.

Based on that experience, that is how I am trying to plan it for this visit.

Has anyone been over New Years? What was it like?

Jewel... just saw your last question... you should check out the Trip Report I posted on the first post of this thread. It has details about the special NYE dinner at AMA AMA and also details on where to best view the fireworks.

It is on the Mouse Owners site so I couldn't do a direct link... so just cut and paste the link and take out the spacing I had to add.

We will be there from 12-19 through 12-29 along with Tribe0701. We will then move over to Hale Koa on Waikaikai (sp?) for 4 nights before heading home.

Thanks MELSMICE! I added you to the list. We are going to be there the same dates!!:beach:

Only we will be in Waikiki for the first days of our trip and then moving to Aulani.

Its getting closer!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter