Anyone else see AKV this way?

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
I'm just curious. To me, AKV are a destination resort, like HHI or Vero. If I want to go to WDW, I'll stay at one of the 5 WDW resorts (OKW, SSR, BCV, BWV, VWL). Last year, I stayed at AKL for a couple days and never left the resort. I absolutely loved it-read in the lobby, sat and watched animals in the Savannah, walked over and watched animals in another Savannah. However, I saw this as a resort stay BEFORE my trip to WDW. I just can't imagine staying there and leaving the resort. In the words of Samantha Brown, [I get] "homesick for my animals". Anyone else see AK this way?

That's such a nice description of AKL - it makes me want to be there right now!!!

But, no, I wouldn't use it that way. I really like the themed resorts I've stayed at - but if I weren't going to go to the parks, etc. I wouldn't choose AKL or any other Disney resort - I'd try something closer to the coast.

I could definitely see going there with dh and just hanging out possibly hitting AK for some shows and a couple of rides since it's so close. I think there will possibly be folks buying AKV who aren't huge Disney fans. AKL enjoys a great reputation as one of the top family vacation resorts in the country.:thumbsup2 I can also see being there with the family doing all of our normal WDW resorts because it isn't exactly an hour out from anything. We drive. We will do it both ways.

I'm just curious. To me, AKV are a destination resort, like HHI or Vero. If I want to go to WDW, I'll stay at one of the 5 WDW resorts (OKW, SSR, BCV, BWV, VWL). Last year, I stayed at AKL for a couple days and never left the resort. I absolutely loved it-read in the lobby, sat and watched animals in the Savannah, walked over and watched animals in another Savannah. However, I saw this as a resort stay BEFORE my trip to WDW. I just can't imagine staying there and leaving the resort. In the words of Samantha Brown, [I get] "homesick for my animals". Anyone else see AK this way?

Yep, I see it that way... Love animals.

My wife and I vacationed there (15 days) before we had kids (2001)...and while we did do the parks, we had 2 or 3 "rest days" built in...and we did exactly what you described. They were some of the best days of the trip.

It really COULD be a destination all to itself, which, IMHO, is why my wife and I (and the kids, though they've only "visited"...well, 2 of them have) love the place so much.

I just hope they find a way to replicate "the smell" (that cardamon, spicey smell) in AKL's lobby over at AKV.

For me, it would be like going to the VWL, just a nicer place to come home to, and not the destination itself. We've only stayed AKL once, and had a terrible room, it was discounted and we checked in very late, but we've actually gone over to visit and watch the animals on other trips.

Bobbi:goodvibes

I'm just curious. To me, AKV are a destination resort, like HHI or Vero.

I see VWL this way. some of stays have been to just visit the resort and FW.

so I definitely understand.

I think both AKV and VWL would be great resorts even if WDW was not there. just glad we get both!:banana: :rolleyes1

I agree. I may add on 60 points just to be able to have 2 weekend nights in a CL studio either at the beginning or the end of a trip to WDW. I look at it as downtime and would want to just stay at the resort and eat all my meals at Boma and Jiko!

I understand this sentiment about AKV. In fact, when the travel channel did a special on AKL a while back, that is how they billed...as a destination in and of itself.

I actually consider SSR to be this way also. Love the spa, lounge by the pool, take long walks around the grounds. Who needs a park?

(ok, well, I need a park! :rotfl: but you see my point! :goodvibes )

Exactly what DH and I are doing right now.:goodvibes We've been walking the halls looking at the artwork, we've done a couple of the tours they offer for free (the lobby art and the culinary experience), drank a little wine, watched the animals, drank a little wine...you get the idea. A wonderful, laid back getaway. And yes, we are buying AKV. Yippee!!!

I just hope they find a way to replicate "the smell" (that cardamon, spicey smell) in AKL's lobby over at AKV.

OMG I completely agree. I dream of that smell. I asked my DH if we could have that smell filter through our home, he wasn't amused :rotfl:

Now if only to convince him to do an add on at AKV (since I am out of work, this has been a rather tough task).

I kind of do-which is why we will never buy there but may stay once in a while. We mainly purchased "Disney" Vacation Club because of Disney World Parks, so the closer to them the better for us.

I agree with your assessment to some degree.

BWV, BCV, and VWL are the resorts I stay at if park visits are the main part of the trip (pending availability). I sometimes stay at OKW (and will presumably stay at AKV based on AKL) on more relaxed trips when park hopping is secondary and I mostly want to enjoy my villa and resort. But is SSR that big apartment complex that I drive by on my way to WDW? Isn't that a Westgate property?

This is exactly why we are also adding 60 points, to spend a few nights after our "WDW trip". We have stayed at AKL 4 times and it's always at the end of our trip. We hate,hate,hate to leave the resort to go to a park, there is so much to do. On all our other trips, we always end up at AKL for dinner, to shop or for a quick visit to the Savanah viewing area. I guess, in a way we consider visiting AKL as coming home.

:)

Ummm.... ANIMAL KINGDOM... I think smell will come from a different source.

Nope, having stayed at AKL I can assure you there was never any animal smell.

:)

But the smell that hits you when you walk into the lobby is just divine. Cardamon, Cinnamon, Tumeric, and a whole host of other african spices, burning wood, and some things I just can't identify (NOT animal smells!). If I could bottle it and take it home with me....I would.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter