Anyone ever use Allianz Global Insurance?

pooh2001

been there, done that, TRYING to go back
We used Allianz Global Assistance for our tickets to The Price is Right in White Plains,NY
We tied to get our money back because DH is deathly afraid of getting COVID with over 5,000 people in the building
Allianz said that is not an acceptable reason for getting our money back

Has anyone else used the company ?
Maybe for plane tickets ?

We used Allianz Global Assistance for our tickets to The Price is Right in White Plains,NY
We tied to get our money back because DH is deathly afraid of getting COVID with over 5,000 people in the building

I have bought travel insurance from them, but never had to use it. If you don't have a cancel for any reason policy, you are probably out of luck. They don't cover if you just change your mind about going. They have a supplemental covid policy if you are diagnosed, but it doesn't cover preventive cancellation. from their website -

"Here are a few more important things to know:

If you cancel or cut short a trip because you’re afraid of becoming ill with COVID-19, or because a travel advisory has been issued for your destination, that will not be covered by our travel insurance plans."

https://www.allianztravelinsurance....e-epidemic-coverage-endorsement-explained.htm

Edit - the above endorsement for covid is part of their annual policies, so probably not applicable anyway.

What does the policy say?

• If you cancel or cut short a trip because you’re afraid of becoming ill with COVID-19, or because a travel advisory has been issued for your destination, that will not be covered by our travel insurance plans.
  • YES - DH reason - then no money back - So maybe we will go
  • We can wear a mask in the audience :) DH said maybe we can go

Last edited:

• If you cancel or cut short a trip because you’re afraid of becoming ill with COVID-19, or because a travel advisory has been issued for your destination, that will not be covered by our travel insurance plans.
  • YES - DH reason - then no money back - So maybe we will go
  • We can wear a mask in the audience :) DH said maybe we can go
I don't know if he has underlying health conditions, which might make a difference to you. Masks are a good idea. I have caught covid twice, both while traveling (in Florida). I still wear a KN95 mask on planes and in densely crowded places. Chances are always more likely when in groups who travel from other places.

I used Allianz when we had to cancel a Hawaii trip due to the fires in Maui. Most things we were able to get refunded easily on our own, but we had rented DVC points to stay at Aulani that we were only going to get a very small amount back on. Allianz paid us the rest of the money we had spent without any hassle.

Last edited:
Travel insurance isn't going to cover changing your mind unless it is cancel for any reason. Travel insurance is related to the occurrence of an actual event not how a person feels about traveling.

I echo what everyone else has mentioned - WE used Allianz for cruise travel back in 2019 but didn't have any issues that we needed to pursue. But I agree that being afraid of catching something will not likely be a valid reason to be reimbursed.

I am pretty sure it was Allianz we used back in May of 2020. We had an event several states away that we were going to attend and purchased tickets in November of 2019. The event did not cancel due to COVID and it was nonrefundable. Our policy did not cover fear of getting sick, only if we were diagnosed and could provide a doctor's note.

I was luckily able to get money back because I was in school at the time and a test scheduled in the syllabus fell on the day of the event. I had purchased the tickets prior to finding out my schedule, so it was a valid excuse to get our money back. I could have worked with the professor and taken the test on another day, he was pretty cool and understanding, but that was the only valid reason we had to use our insurance policy. Completely legal, but just not the real reason we couldn't go (due to COVID). It was just for the tickets because the flight and hotel were easily refunded for credit.

Try to see if there is a valid reason to use that would work for your insurance policy. Do you have anything work-related that may fall in the time you are traveling? Maybe something you could technically miss out on, but would work as part of the protection policy. Read through your policy and see what the stipulations are and go from there.

Never used it. Just purchased with our JetBlue airline tickets (hoping we won't need it/don't usually purchase/not sure if this trip is happening/medical reasons).

Normally we don't bother with travel insurance. We have Allianz Global Insurance for an upcoming trip to Mexico (through American Airlines). My admin is getting married there and I just had a feeling we might need it. It covers a lot of issues, but definitely not changing our minds about traveling.

I have used their insurance for a cruise. I ended up in DCL med center getting IV meds and fluids. Paid with my credit card and Allianz reimbursed all of my medical costs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter