Anyone have tips on how to limit souvenirs?

I guess I'm the meanie! And cheap. I just tell her no. Early on I steered her toward collecting postcards for each place we visit--so 25 cents, maybe? She will get to pick one per park when we are at Disney. She is so into them she really doesn't ask for anything else.
I don't buy the dollar store stuff because it's junk. The last thing we need in our house is more junk. I'd rather buy her a $20 stuffed Dumbo that she will truly love. She will get one good thing at the end of the trip. If I bought her something every day, I think it would devalue it and lose its specialness--she'd be more interested in what she's getting next than it what she has.

But as I said, I am mean and cheap. :) We're more about the experience.

Have to agree with the "just say no" crowd. You are the parent and are the one responsible for teaching your children limits. If they are too young to understand $$$, then simply tell them that they can't have one today, but if they behave themselves they can get something before they go home.

If they, or you, can't restrain themselves, then perhaps the best thing is to keep everyone out of the gift shops as much as possible, so the temptation isn't there in the first place. When I'm on a diet, I don't hang around the candy shops.

1st step is to set a mental budget in your mind of what you can spend per child..... This is a MUST!
You don't need to share it with them.. But it will help..

This is what we have done..

Opt. 1.. Give them a $ limit.. But because you have younger kids I understand why you may a little worried about this

Opt. 2.. When my DD was younger I would tell her she could have

1 hat ( her choice)
1 pin or small trinket ( her choice) maybe those light up thingy... B/c for some reason kids have to have these!!
1 plush or under $30 toy.. ( if they pick something to high, try to show them other items.. )

This will give them the freedom of choice, but will still have limits..

I arrived on these item based on what we have bought in the past..
Most younger kids want at least one hat, one toy, and maybe one other little thing..

I don't Know how many days you are going
But you could break up the shopping trips into three different time..

Day 1-2 get an ear hat..I recommend doing the hat shop.. B/c it only has hats!
Just the feeling they get to pick whatever they want overwhelms them a little. ( in a good way)

Day 4-5 small trinket ( find a small shop or toy cart for this)

Last day.. Let them get their big toy.. depending on how much you are wanting to spend... ( we limit to $30.00)

You need to make sure BEFORE you enter the store that they understand they are getting ONE item for this to work...
. If they are having a hard time understanding this do NOT go in until you feel they fully understand it is one item ONLY..

Hope this helps

What to add... We stay out of the shops with our kids... unless we shopping for these few item..
Normally DH will take the kids for an ice cream bar and watch a parade why I shop!
Then I send my stuff to the front of the park and pick it up on our way out..

It is funny because my kids never want to even stop and look at things or ask to buy. They just want to go go go.

Their only favorites are Star Tours and POTC and we usually get a cheap sword.

I would flat out say no souvenirs and you behave nicely we will get something at the end of the day or trip.

I would suggest bringing a gift card for each child's souvenir money so that you have a set limit. Even if the child does not understand that concept, the gift cards will help mom and dad stay on budget (you'll think twice when the gift card is gone and you have to pull out extra cash).

Another tip is to just stay out of the stores when you are in the parks. On our trips we set aside a "souvenir shopping" time, either at DTD or at the resort if the one we're staying at has a good selection. That way, the kids use up their money all at one time, they understand they have spent all their money, and they don't ask to go shopping again for the rest of the week (at least that has been our experience). Plus, by doing all the shopping at one time, you can visually show them what their options are. For example, "You have enough money for these two big toys or these four smaller toys", and let them help you make the decision.

If they continue to ask you to buy them more stuff after their money is gone, just say no. Maybe they'll throw a little fit, but more than likely it will be short lived - they're at Disney World!

As a mom of a 5 year old and almost 2 year old I can totally understand where you are coming from, OP. What we did last year was limit the time in shops and what works at home is what we did at Disney. I tell DD5 to remember that item and we'll keep looking to see if there is anything else she likes. If it's not something I want her to have I try to get her excited about something else. If that doesn't work I'll tell her that we will remember that item and come back later and hope that she gets into something else somewhere else. Then if she asks about the first item later on I'll tell her you got the second item so that was what you picked today. But again, I agree with just try to stay out of store as much as possible and prepare them ahead of time with what you will let them get.

My kids never want to shop or beg for toys, but we usually tell them they'll get a toy on our last day.

Although there are the occasional occurrences of waiting in lines with horribly misbehaving children who are reeking havoc (climbing over railings, cutting through the lines chasing each other, going through multiple bars to see the Potato Head at TSM, trying to get our kids to join them, etc) and we have rewarded our kids for being so well-behaved and calmly standing and waiting to get to the front of the line - but those weren't promised rewards for good behavior, just surprises for them for being such good kids - they had no idea their manners would get them anything, so they loved it.

If we make it to DTD, they are allowed to pick out one thing there - but only one - and that can be from the Disney Store or Lego Store or wherever they want.

I always put so much cash into an envelope marked spending for each person( usually$50). They know when it's gone, it's gone. I've never had a problem. I do however usually buy one item in secrecy and give to them when we get home( shirt usually). They are also allowed to bring any money that they already have to spend. They also are responsible for their own snacks if they feel they need one every time we pass a snack stand. I usually buy the meals and one snack a day.

my kids have always had gc that they recieved for Easter or b-day (both are close to the times we visit) thats the $$ thy have to spend

Its normal for them to want and ask for things heck I want just about everything I see too:crazy2:

My youngest, at home wants something in every store we go into and I have to say no unless she happens to have some money then she can spend it. So I have always dreaded the WDW trip and her wanting something coming oiut of every store but I have to say just does much better there then at home here is what I have done with all my kids since they were 3yo:

T-shirt, autograph book, (or something I want them to have) I buy
With their money usually anywhere from $50-$100(depending on gc they recieve) They can get one thing a day...I do limit one stuffed animal per trip (we have so many at home) if by our last day they have enough $ to buy more than 1 thing they can.

This has always worked well so I'm sticking to it. My older 2 children I don't stick with this plan now because they know when its gone its gone most of the time they come home with $

I agree with many of the prior people that you need to stay out of stores. Your oldest should be able to understand the concept that you have x amount of money and that is it. My girls are older now but starting at school age, they got only a set amount of $ to spend, often from birthday money. It is amazing what isn't bought when it is their money. We had a CM shocked that we would not be buying the photopass picture of my daughter and Jasmine, but she would have to and would only have this much left. Two years ago, my youngest was 7 and had a bag and money for the first time. She put that bag down at Seaworld (I was distracted by my husband giving me his stuff to get a coaster) and it was never to be seen again. It was obviously a child's bag but was taken. She lost all her spending money that day. It was a hard lesson to learn but it worked. We did buy a few things so don't feel too bad for her. And yes, we went over and over about keeping track of our things.

Stay out of shops, trade pins, and trade vinylmations. On our last trip (for 10 days) we went into the shops only twice, once at the resort and once after POC. The pin and vinylmation trading made it where they got something new all the time and they never really asked for anything. We also took some Disney hats and other souvenirs with us, so if they asked we could say we have that back in the room.

How do you avoid the shops where rides exit through the shops? We only went into a gift shop purposefully once, and that was in search of something specific. But most rides exit you through a shop. Is there an alternate exit? That is where I have the hardest time with my kids. My 3 year old's Eeyore Pillow Pal is courtesy of the Winnie the Pooh shop/exit. (that said, she loves that thing and has slept with it every night since).

I got the older kids each a gift card with their spending limit on it. It included extra snacks (above/beyond snack credits on DDP), and souvenirs. When it was gone, it was gone. My daughter is only 3, so she can't be responsible for a gift card and didn't exactly understand the limit, so I had a harder time with her. But we made it through without TOO many extras.

One thing I do is plan on pressed pennies as souvenirs. Each kid had their own tube of coins. When a ride exited into a shop, I could often find a nearby pressed penny machine (in or just outside the gift shop). I'd re-direct ... "oh look, here is another pressed penny machine - time for a penny!". That distraction would pull them away from whatever junk/gift they just HAD to have, and they ended up without something commemorating the ride. (This tactic was more important and more effective with the 3 year old ... the tween/teen boys were on to me, but also had their own gift card and budgeting to worry about.)

Set aside time ahead of time for survenior shopping. You could tell them, for instance, on THIS day, we'll search for our souvenors! And then stick to it. Tis has always worked for us.

Gone are the days where you could purchase a "guy" for 2-3 bucks and kids would be happy.

Last trip, my son really asked me one day, "Mom, when do we get to the next gift shop?"

Luckily, he is a browser and not a big shopper. We have the rule that we don't buy anything on the fly. We leave the store and think about it. If we're still thinking about it later, then we can go back and buy it (unless it's huge and impractical). That's a rule for all of us.

Also, unless he is willing to carry it himself all day, we don't buy it (I ignore sending the package back to the resort when it suits me, lol).

There are a few stores where I know that we will buy things because they can only be purchased there - ride specific things, so those I am willing to be a little more lenient on.

That said, in the end, you just have to say No and leave the store.

when we went on our first Disney trip, we didn't spend hardly anytime in stores. My kids were more into the attractions then shopping. they were 7, 6 and 2 at the time.

This time they will be 12, 11, and 7 this time. I've already told them they will have a certain amount of money to buy whatever they want, then that is it.

I doubt we will spend much time in shops this time either as they are just not into shopping.

maybe not visit that many shops?

I notice many people saying to stay out of the stores. That's not really practical at Disney since many rides exit through souvenir shops.

Although I don't remember what I did with my own kids, and don't remember them asking for anything much, I have recent experience with grandchildren.

Since I babysit two of my grandsons, they are often with me in stores. The older one is 3. Even at that age, he knows that different items are worth different amounts of money. If I tell him he has $5 to spend, he will ask me the price of items before getting attached to something.

He understands that, as far as toys go, there is often a direct correlation between the size and price. He knows that 5 is a small number, and doesn't even ask about toys that are large if that is his budget. They are making 3 year olds pretty smart these days. ;)

I think if you set certain amounts for the children to spend, and explain to the younger one how each purchase will effect his/her bottom line, it will be easier than you think.

When DD6 was a few years younger she would often ask for quite a few things when we went to places like the circus or the fair. I never had a problem telling her no. There were a few occasions when no was met with a few tears but never a full on fit. I started explaining early on if she threw a fit we would pack up and leave immediately. I only struggled with saying no one time. We were at the circus and she wanted an elephant ride. So we go up to the elephant, waited in line, we got to the top and the guy asked for our ticket so I handed him the entrance ticket and he said oh no, you have to go over to that table and buy a ticket for the elephant ride. So I picked her up, she was only about 4 at the time, and we went over there where I found out the elephant rides lasted all of 45 seconds and cost $10 :scared1: I refused to pay that much for something that short. I felt so bad telling her no that time especially since she had gotten to within two steps of getting on the elephant. There were a few tears but I explained that I just didn't have the money for it.

After that I started teaching her. She liked to ask for things at the grocery store. Every time we went she was asking for five or six different things. I instituted a rule. Every time we went to the grocery store she could ask for one thing but it had to be something she could eat and if she started asking for more things after she picked her item we would put it back and she wouldn't get anything. This served two purposes. It made her feel like she got to get something special and it was almost always something that was on my list anyway so it didn't actually cost me anything extra. Now when we go to the fair or circus she will often ask me before we walk in "I can pick out one thing and that's it right Mom?" This strategy has worked well for us. My mother, on the other hand, has no such edible rule. And DD knows it. DD now prefers going to the grocery store with my mom because she knows she can talk my mom into letting her one item be a DVD or a blanket or something like that. I had a long discussion with my mom about the edible rule and she said "well DD asked for the blanket because she is cold at night." I said we have plenty of blankets at our house not on any beds so we could add extra blankets if she needed them but that wasn't necessary because all she had to do to warm up if she was cold at night was pull up the blankets she had kicked off in the first place. As far as I know my mom has been abiding by the edible item rule but who knows.:confused3

This trip we are trying this...
We have bought each child a $100 disney gift card and once that card hits zero the shopping stops. We will see how that goes.

I can totally understand how you feel! When I take my kids to Disney I will want to buy them everything too! But each day buy them something small, a balloon or something like that? And on the last day a larger gift? I don't have a ton of advice because I will probably cave in too! lol:goodvibes

When I was a wee one, my mom told my sisters and I we could pick out souvenirs only with a specific character on it. For example, one sister picked Daisy, another picked Tinkerbell, and I picked Tigger. My mom got us each a shirt, a plush, and a nice item (I remember I got a glass cube with Tigger lasered on it)...

The best part was that we never had a wandering eye. We knew what we were getting, and we were all getting relatively the same thing. We never fought about the souvenirs... (Who got to ride with Mom was a different story!)

Not to sound harsh, but, just say no.

That is what I do too. It is my husband who caves at times!

My kids are used to me saying no when we go to the store so this isn't anything differnt.

I make sure they look at all the stores because we will be back to that one place & pretty much everthing is sold everywhere.

But they know they aren't going to get everything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter