• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Anyone Know Special Ed Law?

I agree! Save a tree.... I have a question? How did you get into this, if you are not an Atty, advocate and you do not have a child with SN's? Is this just something that interests you? I am throughly impressed with all the info that you have given all of us..:grouphug:

Well, I've been in it in one way or another since I was...hrmm, around 10 (started peer tutoring with individuals with significant disabilities). I guess I just find it interesting. :flower3:

Wonderful!!! You know that once we found out how knowledgeable you are you cannot ever leave here on the Disabilities Boards right?: :woohoo: :woohoo: :lmao: :lmao: ;)

I better submit my schedules now then! :lmao: Actually, you're definitely not going to find me on here in mid December. I'm going to be enjoying myself in WDW. :banana:

As for the knowledge piece, I think you all have some true gems here with a lot of expertise in this area. My knowledge is fairly broad in the in's and out's of legal bits with special education. Their's is more narrowed to their particular needs. I merely offer another perspective and can provide a few more resources of which they might or might not be aware.

Special education and the delivery of special services should always be a collaborative effort between schools, the student, teachers, parents, and other providers. :grouphug: The expertise that you all, as parents and providers, is absolutely necessary in the whole scheme of things. Don't ever let anyone tell you differently and always try to keep yourself as well informed about your child's education as you would about any other major life decision. I'd say you all are doing a great job of that.

I was actually just discussing this ruling with one of the legal professors here at my university. It is definitely showing a different philosophy than the previous Shaeffer case in 2005 (ruling that found that when a parent lost a due process suit, they had to pay the fees associated). We were both somewhat concerned about this ruling as it's still not terribly clear-cut. Our concern was that parents will get the idea that they don't even have to consider the other option (which you haven't implied). In looking at the docket for this particular case, the parents showed clearly that they had carefully considered the options offered in light of the appropriateness for their child. Both of the options also went against previous LRE. My concern is that parents will see the ruling and immediately put their child in private school without documenting that careful consideration piece. I'd be interested in your perspective, from the parent/advocate side as well.

I want to thank you for your information and insight as well. I will always come from a slightly more emotional perspective as this is my "baby" I'm tlking about. I'm usually slightly more objective when helping others.

I am a little concerned how some parents may interpret this ruling as well. I've helped parents before who only hear what the want to hear. I'm a lay advocate with an organization whose goal is to give all parents the knowledge necessary to advocate effectively for their own child. Some are more willing to learn than others. We also believe strongly that most advancements in the field have come from parents who have pushed the system to change the expectations for their children and to provide them with an equal chance at life. I was just at a dinner last night and heard from a lady whose daughter was born 59 years ago with a developmental disability and the only resource back then was institutionalization. This women, and others were at the forefront of changing how those with developmental disabilities learn and live their lives. I hope to pick up the torch and challenge the current laws and systems to the benefit of mine and all children.

As to the ruling, I think it will benefit parents and children in the long run. I can't imagine sending my child away to a special boarding school (he's only 7 and there are no appropriate local special needs private schools). However, if the districts begin to see that it's a real possibility that they will be forced to pay upwards of $75,000 a year in private school tuition for some students they may begin to offer more appropriate in district placements/programs and accommodations. The power lies very much with the districts still. Every little shift towards the parents make them more equal partners and will make negotiations more balanced.

I want to thank you for your information and insight as well. I will always come from a slightly more emotional perspective as this is my "baby" I'm tlking about. I'm usually slightly more objective when helping others.
I am with you here! A Mom is never really objective when it is about her baby! My baby is ASD9. I have also a DD4 that is not special needs. She is the one that I have to watch. I said to her one day when she was 3 "Madison that is non-negotiable!" She replied, "Mommy everything is negotiable." From that day on I knew I was in trouble!!! ;) ;)

We all have to be our child's advocate! I am a true believer of this! Then have an additional advocate in every IEP meeting!

Special education and the delivery of special services should always be a collaborative effort between schools, the student, teachers, parents, and other providers. :grouphug: The expertise that you all, as parents and providers, is absolutely necessary in the whole scheme of things. Don't ever let anyone tell you differently and always try to keep yourself as well informed about your child's education as you would about any other major life decision. I'd say you all are doing a great job of that.

Well said!!! Only it often wears you down, especially when you always have to fight for services!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter