• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone play in the School Band?

Lynn CC

<font color=blue>DIS Veteran who is a veteran DISe
My DS plays the trumpet and would love to join the Symphany Orchestra, he's getting letters from colleges asking him to join the marching band at their schools/even though they aren't sure if he will be admitted.
He doesn't want to do marching band anymore, just symphany so he can have more time to concentrate on Kung Fu.
Some of the schools he's applied to don't have marching/symphany or Kung Fu...Harvard has all of them!...and a few other schools as well.
How do you like the band where you are?

I guess neither one of us is a college student-we're both parents of college/future college DSs. Mine was in high school band for 4 years, section leader for 2-loved it! Went to college as a music major and I was shocked that he didn't continue with marching band when he got to college. But like your DS, he wanted to stick with other types of music (in his case, jazz band and "repetorie ensemble"-whatever that is). Oh-and DS plays trumpet also. Up your way, isn't there a good school for music in Hartford?

Hart School of Music is in CT (I have a friend who will be graduating this May with a degree in Music Education). I was in colorguard throughout high school, but my college doesn't have a band or anything of the sort. Many high school kids find out band is not for them once they move on to this new part of their life. Also, that first year of college is usually the most difficult, so with too many extracurricular obligations, it can be tough to adjust to the academics and social scene all at the same time. Also, how serious is band for him? Does he plan on playing trumpet for his career? If not, I'd say don't look at schools for their bands if he is thinking it might not be for him. Anyway, he can always transfer!

i plan on joining the marching band when i go to college this fall. i've been in the marching and symponic bands for 3 yrs (skipped freshman yr). this year i am section leader and i couldn't see myself not continuing. it would just be too wierd!!! i missed it when i didn't join my freshman yr of high school so i know i will miss it if i don't join.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter