Anyone teach abroad before? TEFL TESOL Certified?

MKCP5

DIS Veteran
DH and I are considering teaching abroad. Pretty worn out with many things about our education system but that's a whole other discussion. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge about doing this? I think we would have to be TEFL or TESOL certified, but the cost of that ranges from $400 to $2500 as far as I can see. I'm unclear what is legit and which certifications are needed. If you have recommendations for a hiring agency as well that would be great. There are a ton online but again, trying to discern what is legit is tough! Thanks so much!

My sister has taught English in Korea though a Korean government program. She loved it. Also, she is 100% Korean, but my dad did a step-parent adoption when she was a teen so she is an American Citizen. She never told any of the children that Korean was her first language because she didn't want to to try speaking Korean to them in the English language class. She also got several extension beyond the normal timeline they allow you to teach. Some only allow you to do two years. She had several extensions. She returned to the U.S. but is back in Korea again and from I heard, she was offered another teaching job, but I don't know under which program. I will have to ask my dad when he calls next week (who is back living in Korea too).

I know many that have taught English in Korea and Japan.

There is a website where you can find jobs called Dave's ESL Cafe. My dad used Dave's ESL Cafe to research jobs for my sister. Some of the non-government program you have to be careful. I know a British teacher that was sexually harassed at a Korean hagwon program so she changed to a Christian private school that paid less but she was treated better.

My sister only had her associates at the time so she taught through a program called TaLK, if you have a four year degree then you can go for the EPIK program.

Teach and Learn in Korea (TaLK) Korean government ran program
http://www.talk.go.kr

English Program in Korea (EPIK) Korean government ran program
http://www.epik.go.kr

I found this on the EPIK website:
- Those who have a teaching license, B.Ed., M.Ed., or majored in Teaching, TESOL, Second Language Studies, or any forms of Education (Physical Education, Math Education, etc.) are not required to have a TEFL/TESOL/CELTA certificate.

You might want to look at a DoDDS school which is an American school on military bases overseas. My older boys attended Seoul American Elementary School and it was a great school!
https://www.dodea.edu/

Dave's ESL Cafe http://www.eslcafe.com
Dave's ESL Cafe also has forums that you and read and post questions.

I would also look at private schools that Embassy kids go to like:
Seoul Foreign School https://www.seoulforeign.org/
Seoul International School https://siskorea.org/

I have a friend who moved from Tampa to Australia and her kids attended the Sydney Japanese International School until they moved to their high school grades. They loved it!

I do think most of the private international school use more of a British curriculum over American, so that is a good question to investigate on schools you might be interested in.

Last edited:
Thank you!!!! This is some great info! DH has a masters in education, current license and has been teaching for 20 years. It would be great if he didn't have to get tefl certificate. One more thing to have to do and pay for. I would probably start mine as I have a bachelors in business but not teaching experience. If he could teach the first year while I worked on mine that would be great.

Will start looking at some of these websites. Really appreciate it! <3

I taught with Disney English for 3 years (2012-2015) in China and really enjoyed it! Disney paid for the TEFL certification- as long as you started the certification process prior to moving to the country, you were fine; not sure if they do that anymore. Anyway, it seemed like a lot of co-workers used it as a springboard for other teaching opportunities within China and Asia, meaning they would start at Disney English and then get a more permanent (and much better-paying job) at one of the other local schools.

Thank you!!!! This is some great info! DH has a masters in education, current license and has been teaching for 20 years. It would be great if he didn't have to get tefl certificate. One more thing to have to do and pay for. I would probably start mine as I have a bachelors in business but not teaching experience. If he could teach the first year while I worked on mine that would be great.

Will start looking at some of these websites. Really appreciate it! <3

The schools on military bases will have the same curriculum as stateside school. Summer school is basically non existence because they get free travel back to the US for the summer. They also have access to the military facilities like the U.S./military Post Office (instead of international mail). I am not sure if they use the base medical and dental clinics but I think they do. This might be the best option for your husband since it’s an American school. Then if he gets hired you can look at other options locally for yourself?

Let us know how it turns out.

DH and I are considering teaching abroad. Pretty worn out with many things about our education system but that's a whole other discussion. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge about doing this? I think we would have to be TEFL or TESOL certified, but the cost of that ranges from $400 to $2500 as far as I can see. I'm unclear what is legit and which certifications are needed. If you have recommendations for a hiring agency as well that would be great. There are a ton online but again, trying to discern what is legit is tough! Thanks so much!

Have you already decided on which area/country you would be interested in? Oldest daughter taught ESL in Spain in 2012. She taught in a private school, but also had many people that wanted private classes in conversational English as well.

Have you already decided on which area/country you would be interested in? Oldest daughter taught ESL in Spain in 2012. She taught in a private school, but also had many people that wanted private classes in conversational English as well.

No we haven't. Honestly, we're kind of open to almost anything. Both of our children are graduating from college, one is moving out of state for work and the other can stay in our home and will bring a friend in as a room mate and take care of it while we are away. We are up for an adventure! A supportive, respectful, safe environment is key. After teaching for many many years here, and watching things go so far downhill, DH has has his worst year yet. Everything from having students blatantly lie about things in his classroom then face no discipline after the lies are found to be untrue, having his life threatened by a student and then having the administration pressure him to re admit that student back into his class...the list goes on. DH needs a break from the high school environment here and we prayerfully feel the time is right.

No we haven't. Honestly, we're kind of open to almost anything. Both of our children are graduating from college, one is moving out of state for work and the other can stay in our home and will bring a friend in as a room mate and take care of it while we are away. We are up for an adventure! A supportive, respectful, safe environment is key. After teaching for many many years here, and watching things go so far downhill, DH has has his worst year yet. Everything from having students blatantly lie about things in his classroom then face no discipline after the lies are found to be untrue, having his life threatened by a student and then having the administration pressure him to re admit that student back into his class...the list goes on. DH needs a break from the high school environment here and we prayerfully feel the time is right.

I called her and asked if she needed the certification and the answer was no, she didn't, at that time. She got her position under some program and since she was at work, we couldn't continue to talk. She does have the certifications, because she works at a college and her job is directly related to this subject, but they were not needed at the time she took the position.

She was asked to continue after her first school year, but it was time for her to return here. It was a wonderful experience for her, but not a lifestyle.

I'm not sure where you are located but your husband's school actually sounds like the trend in schools today. It's all political anymore, and people in education are always 'onstage' and subject to everybody's opinion and scrutiny. This can be upsetting for teachers who just want to do a good job and help kids get to the next level, but unfortunately it is necessary in our day and age. I just retired from a school system, so I'm pretty familiar.

I called her and asked if she needed the certification and the answer was no, she didn't, at that time. She got her position under some program and since she was at work, we couldn't continue to talk. She does have the certifications, because she works at a college and her job is directly related to this subject, but they were not needed at the time she took the position.

She was asked to continue after her first school year, but it was time for her to return here. It was a wonderful experience for her, but not a lifestyle.

I'm not sure where you are located but your husband's school actually sounds like the trend in schools today. It's all political anymore, and people in education are always 'onstage' and subject to everybody's opinion and scrutiny. This can be upsetting for teachers who just want to do a good job and help kids get to the next level, but unfortunately it is necessary in our day and age. I just retired from a school system, so I'm pretty familiar.

It sounds like you are familiar. It's been awful watching him go through so much this year. Some of it is so ridiculous that I would have a hard time believing it if it hadn't actually happened to us. We will find a way through though. We spent last night looking at positions all over the world. I'm kind of excited and kind of scared to death at such a giant change and leap of faith!

OP: just a Quick... Best of luck to your family as u take this Next chapter/Adventure!
My ds studied in SK... loved it ( people/culture) and wanted to stay lol

Thank you so much! That is so kind of you <3

I have to say, I have been on so many other travel boards as I am planning a trip w DD after graduation, and the people can just be so snarky and harsh when you ask a question. People on the dis are so kind, and so helpful. I KNEW I would get some help and good responses to my questions here, along with support for the journey. Thank you all. Truly.

I taught English in Japan, but it was in the 80's. My son has done it more recently, but just private students. He was a bouncer for a while at Womb though, a night club in Tokyo.

There are forums like the dis focused on English teaching abroad. I'd look into them and read up. I considered going back to teach 10 years ago or so, and there were some interesting discussions. One aspect you might not think of is age. At the time (this was 10 years ago), someone who placed teachers said the oldest person they'd ever placed in South Korea was 44. Japan was a little less youth oriented (but still wanted young teachers). They recommended China for retirees, as the culture there was less youth oriented. Is any of that still true? No idea, but there all kinds of tips there.

I taught English in Japan, but it was in the 80's. My son has done it more recently, but just private students. He was a bouncer for a while at Womb though, a night club in Tokyo.

There are forums like the dis focused on English teaching abroad. I'd look into them and read up. I considered going back to teach 10 years ago or so, and there were some interesting discussions. One aspect you might not think of is age. At the time (this was 10 years ago), someone who placed teachers said the oldest person they'd ever placed in South Korea was 44. Japan was a little less youth oriented (but still wanted young teachers). They recommended China for retirees, as the culture there was less youth oriented. Is any of that still true? No idea, but there all kinds of tips there.

The website I provides earlier for South Korea has a maximum age of 62. Korea is wonderful for all ages. My dad will be 66 this summer and currently lives in Korea. There is so much to do in Korea from taking in a baseball game, zip lining, ski resorts, indoor ice rinks, indoor amusement park, etc. My dad has had three heart attacks so he is not as active as he use to be. Mostly he just drives his wife to shopping centers (indoors with a/c). When we lived there in the early 2000s he was always taking my boys to the zoo and parks for picnics. There are TONS of things to do. As a single parent In my later 20’s I navigated Korean without knowing the language just fine. I did ship my car there but often took public transportation with the boys or own my own. There are a few people who teach abroad that have their own Facebook and YouTube channel claharing their experience. I use to follow them but went though a media clean up and removed them. They shared good info.

I live in Honduras and there are a ton of opportunities here. Of course you need to decide if you are doing it for the $ or the adventure. Some countries the pay is much higher than others. Korea, Japan and the Middle East seems to be the higher paying but if you are doing it for the adventure and the kids, there are many different places. What kind of weather and how easy/reasonable priced flights home do you want? Here on the island of Roatan pay is about $1000 per month. It is beautiful and the kids are great, but there is a whole other set of issues with the school systems here. I would be glad to provide links for specific schools if you are interested.

The website I provides earlier for South Korea has a maximum age of 62. Korea is wonderful for all ages. My dad will be 66 this summer and currently lives in Korea. There is so much to do in Korea from taking in a baseball game, zip lining, ski resorts, indoor ice rinks, indoor amusement park, etc. My dad has had three heart attacks so he is not as active as he use to be. Mostly he just drives his wife to shopping centers (indoors with a/c). When we lived there in the early 2000s he was always taking my boys to the zoo and parks for picnics. There are TONS of things to do. As a single parent In my later 20’s I navigated Korean without knowing the language just fine. I did ship my car there but often took public transportation with the boys or own my own. There are a few people who teach abroad that have their own Facebook and YouTube channel claharing their experience. I use to follow them but went though a media clean up and removed them. They shared good info.

I love South Korea, and lived there in 1988 (military). I spent a year studying Korean at the Defense Language Institute before I went, too, so while I wasn't fluent, I was able to talk to people. It's a wonderful country. I wondered if the age thing was still true, and this is what I found on this website: https://www.internationalteflacadem...imits-or-restrictions-to-teach-english-abroad

• Asian job markets can be challenging for older teachers (though not impossible). Some countries, like South Korea for example, tend to prefer teachers in their 20s and 30s in the private sector, the public schools will hire into the mid 50s (especially those with teaching experience). Teachers older than 50 find it much more difficult to find jobs. Most Asian countries like China, Thailand, Cambodia, or Vietnam maintain official retirement ages of 55-60 that have been increasingly enforced in recent years. That said, official policy and reality on the ground are not always the same, and if you are patient and flexible you can be successful, particularly if you have a degree, prior teaching experience or if you are already legally living in the country where you want to teach.

My point isn't to dissuade--I found lots of accounts of people in their 40's and 50's teaching there. But, knowing it can be a little harder based on age could help someone know how to present themselves in pictures and interviews (as in, stylish haircut and clothes etc).

I love South Korea, and lived there in 1988 (military). I spent a year studying Korean at the Defense Language Institute before I went, too, so while I wasn't fluent, I was able to talk to people. It's a wonderful country. I wondered if the age thing was still true, and this is what I found on this website: https://www.internationalteflacadem...imits-or-restrictions-to-teach-english-abroad

• Asian job markets can be challenging for older teachers (though not impossible). Some countries, like South Korea for example, tend to prefer teachers in their 20s and 30s in the private sector, the public schools will hire into the mid 50s (especially those with teaching experience). Teachers older than 50 find it much more difficult to find jobs. Most Asian countries like China, Thailand, Cambodia, or Vietnam maintain official retirement ages of 55-60 that have been increasingly enforced in recent years. That said, official policy and reality on the ground are not always the same, and if you are patient and flexible you can be successful, particularly if you have a degree, prior teaching experience or if you are already legally living in the country where you want to teach.

My point isn't to dissuade--I found lots of accounts of people in their 40's and 50's teaching there. But, knowing it can be a little harder based on age could help someone know how to present themselves in pictures and interviews (as in, stylish haircut and clothes etc).

There are various programs in Korea. The one that uses the maximum age of 62 is the government program for EPIK/TaLK. I do feel it is easier to be discriminated against. The OP husband has a master degree and is a licensed and experience teacher. He can apply to work at a DoDDS school without fear of age discrimination. He may appeal to the colleges as an older teacher as well rather than being close to the student age. Koreans are typically 19 when they finish high school. Males typically go to college for two years, then do their two year compulsory military service, then return to college to finish. Not all follow that standard, but seems to be a popular path.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter