Anyone travelling down I-95 in Florida during the next two weeks

Towncrier

DIS Veteran
A flatbed truck damaged an overpass and a section of I-95 south of Jacksonville will be closed for at least two weeks. If you are driving to WDW, this may effect your plans. Thanks to albiats for the heads up.

Overpass damage slows I-95

Thanks for the info--

We're driving down next Friday and planned to take that route.

Some information for anyone that will be driving to the cruise port or to WDW using Interstate 95 South from Georgia and going through NE Florida:

There was a major accident earlier this weekto a bridge on I-95 South in St Johns County, which is south of Jacksonville and a little south of St Augustine in North East Florida. A flat bed truck that was hauling some large earth moving equipment tried to go under a bridge that carries I-95 over St Route 206 and it collided with the bridge and damaged the structure of the bridge. It will take 2 to 3 weeks to repair it . This will most likely result in severe traffic congestion because motorists on I-95 south will have to get off the Interstate and get back on after the bridge, using the exit and entrance ramps.

The accident is at I-95 South, exit 93 and St Route 206. Florida has not migrated to the practice of labeling exits with the mile posts as most states do, so it is difficult to judge without a map (we need more of your tourist dollars and gasoline taxes, please!). If you are driving on I-95 South, you will need to allow more time for the traffic delay, or you will need to consider getting off of the highway and using St Route 1 closer to the coast for a few miles to bypass it.

If you hate sitting in those long traffic jams like I do, you might consider the route I plan to take. I'll be exiting I-95 at Exit 95, which is St Route 16, in St Augustine. Gentlemen, be especially wary of this exit, there are 95 outlet stores on the west side of this exit and another 85+ on the east side, so drive quickly and distract the shoppers in the car! Anyway, take St route 16 east PAST the outlet malls until you get to State Route 1 (about 5 miles), then go South. You can then continue on State Route 1 for approximately 15 to 20 miles and it will intersect with I-95 South well beyond the tie up. Most of State Route 1 is actually a divided roadway with two lanes each direction and speed limits of 50 to 65, so it won't be that bad. Before President Eisenhower started the Interstate highway system, Route 1 was the major north - south highway to get to and from Miami.

Another word to the guys - if they make you stop at the outlet malls, you can ask to stop at the World Golf Village and the Golf Hall of Fame, which is at I-95 north, in between Jacksonville and St Augustine on the way back!

Yes, it's still a problem.

I drove through there on 1/19 and I got off of I-95 at exit 95 in St Augustine and rove to US 1 South. I took US 1 South until it rejoined I-95 about 15 miles south of the bridge construction. I've been told that the traffic was backed up for about 12 miles during a busy period, so I didn't want to take that chance.

I still recommend the detour around the bridge for now.

I'll be returning along I-95 North on 1/26 and will let you know how it looks then.

A 12 mile backup?? Sounds like a normal backup at the "mixing bowl" near DC!!
This thread would have been most welcome to me had I been driving to WDW at this time. Nothing worse than cruising along on all cylinders, only to come upon a major(and unexpected) delay.

I just returned from my DCL Cruise today travelling north on I-95.

I'm pleased to aanounce that at 11am on Saturday morning, there were no delays at all and both directions were moving at 70 mph.

There were traffic lane notifications and those portable road sign things with the flashing orange lights on them set up on the south bound side like they might narrow it to one lane, but no one was working on it and things looked normal.

Haven't been home long enough to check the news or Dept of Transportation to see if they're saying it's completed, but it looks like it.

At this point, I'd say not to get off of I-95 at my suggested detour but to continue along the big road.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter