Anyonw with BAD experiences with either HOTWIRE or PRICELINE?

anna2001

Earning My Ears
I've surfed the sites for both and read much on this board about the deals of the day...so other than the fact neither one of them will allow ANY changes what so ever has any one had a bad dealing with these outfits? I'm thinking that the potential to save some bucks may out way the anxiety of not knowing what I'm getting until after my card has been charged...any words of caution I would be most grateful for.
Thanks.
Anna

We have used Priceline many times with fantastic results every time. I think most problems I read about are from folks who win their bid then want to change something or cancel. As long as you go into it knowing there are NO changes or refunds allowed, you should be okay.

I totally agree with Bob on this one. I have used Priceline twice for car rentals and have been incredibly happy with the prices and the agencies. I would only use this method if I knew my trips were "cast in concrete".

I used priceline this past weekend for a last minute trip home. I had no problem with it and got a fare under what I would have gotten with 21 day notice.

Good luck,
Melissa

I've planned several trips using Priceline. The only time I was disappointed was when I bid a 2* and ended up with the Best Inn on 192 -- it was horrible, so horrible, in fact, that it was removed from the Best Inn chain shortly after our stay.

If you stick to 2.5* or above you'll do fine. Most people will tell you to stick with 3* or above, but we have had many trips with a 2.5* that were just as good, Amerisuites Convention Center and Amerisuites Universal.

We've used Priceline and Hotwire both for rental cars and had no problems. Make sure you bring your print-out though because the car rental agency tried to stick us with a smaller car than we had reserved in Los Angeles but that was the car rental agency (Budget), not Hotwire. Just be firm and if they don't have what you reserved and paid for then they must upgrade you at not cost, which is what happened to us in Orlando through Priceline. We got a SUV when we had reserved a full size.

Good luck.

I have had good luck with hotels (I follow the 3 star rule), but I probably won't use for air again. It would probably depend on the situation, though. We flew during Spring Break and our flights were overbooked. We had 2 children (3 and 5) and I didn't like not having seat assignments. I don't know if it was because we were "Priceline" bidders or just that they were so overbooked, but on our return trip we couldn't get seats in 2's (they thought my 5 year old could sit by himself a couple of rows away - HA!) Worse yet, the airline (Northworst) did nothing to help once we boarded - it took a few nerve racking minutes to finally find someone willing to switch with my son/husband. Also, we ended up with a late afternoon departure with a 3 hour layover, resulting in a late evening arrival. Our return flight left at 6:30 in the morning :o with yet another long layover for a late afternoon arrival. That's my horror story, although there are probably lots of good ones to make it tempting. Just know all of the possibilities ahead of time and decide if it's worth the risk. Good luck.

I have used Priceline for hotels many times, especially on drives to WDW. I have used 2* everytime and never paid more than $25 a night for any hotel. I have gotten Holiday Inn Express, Fairfield Inn, an all-suite hotel(can't remember the name) and LaQuinta hotels each time, all rated 2*. I once bid for a 3* and received a 4* hotel, can't complain about that. If you know where you are going to spend the night---this is the only way to get a room.

I love Priceline and have used them many times. As a matter of fact my DH and I are using PL tonight for a quick little get away :) As long as you know the rules going in, you will be fine. It is a great way to get a nice hotel room as a great rate. (Lowest price for my room tonight was $175, but we paid $60.) As the above poster stated... go to www.biddingfortravel.com and thoroughly read all the info there. It will give you advice on how, when, and how much to bid. Good luck!

Everyone has provided rave reviews for priceline, but I've one question remaining.....is it best to use it as a spur of the moment manuver or is 2 to 3 months in advance wise...does anyone know how often (when they use the term "often") is the hotel inventory updated? And are the * ratings pretty accurate? Is sticking to 3* helpful in being sure not to get stuck with a dump?

The Priceline ratings are pretty accurate and there is a list of hotels in the Orlando area on the www.biddingfortravel.com website. A new hotel can come up at any time, but I think as you look through the listings, you'll agree with the star ratings. Hotwire is another story -- they have rated some of their hotels 1/2 * higher than Priceline, for example a 2.5* on Priceline is sometimes rated a 3* on Hotwire. (My boss had this experience on a hotel reservation in Boston that I used Hotwire for - and the rate was substantially higher than people were getting directly through Priceline but he was too chicken to let me use Priceline.)

I've bid some stays 8 months in advance and I've bid for stays a few days beforehand and my experience has been that when I bid a stay very far in advance, I usually spend $1 - $3 more a night but it's worth it for me to know that the arrangements are taken care of.

I'm not sure how often their inventory changes, but I've seen occasions of someone trying for a certain area up to a certain amount with no success only to try again after the 72-hour period and getting a room on the first try.

Good Luck!

We used Priceline once- just for a night in town while friends watched the kids. We got a 3* (at least, I think it may have been a 4*) for $25- the room door said it was a $300/night room. (this was right outside DC though, and I know the doors never really reflect how much the room actually is)

Alot of these posts have been about Priceline, so I'll tell you about my experience with Hotwire....

I've found that the deals on hotels are great. I got a 2 1/2 * for $21/night! It aint the Contemporary, but for students like me who are ambillically attached to their parents wallets, it worked out very nice. Im not sure if this is policy, but when I called them because my 1 hour offer had expired, they still offered it to me regardless. Definetly worth checking out, especially when you must go and dont care how.

Anna,

To answer your questions:

Priceline is good for either far in advanced planning, or last minute bidding. Their inventory changes daily, and I've seen availability for up to 5 months in advance, although that is unusual.

If you are starting to bid more than 2 weeks in advance, however, do not get stuck in the trap of thinking you HAVE to get your hotel the very first night you bid. When people do this, they often end up way over-bidding. Your best strategy would be this: First, reserve a room where you can cancel without any penalties. This way, you'll at least have a back-up reservation in the event PL does not have inventory for your dates. You can start bidding for PL as early as you want, but I think any earlier than 2 months in advance and you'll be wasting your time. Check www.biddingfortravel.com for bidding strategies, including doing rate research before you bid and utilizing 'free re-bid' zones.

Try once a week up until 3 weeks prior to your trip; then start trying every 72 hour period. Be patient and try not to over-bid!

The star ratings are very accurate. I think there have been major complaints about only 5 properties NATIONWIDE. And PL will change a star rating if enough people complain to them (if not remove the property from their inventory altogether.) So I wouldn't worry too much about the quality. Rarely, rarely, rarely does anyone ever complain about being stuck in a dump. More often, people will complain that a 3* should be a 2 or 2.5* hotel instead, but most will acquiese that despite the disparity in rating, it was still a great deal for the money. Honestly, I think you could bid 2.5* and still be sure you won't get a dump. 2* seems to be the riskiest, but then it also depends upon what you are accustomed to. 2* hotels are usually no-frills places like Red Roof Inns or Motel 6. 2.5 are usually Fairfield Inns or Amerisuites type places. 3* is generally Sheraton and Marriott type places. And 4* is generally Westin or Hyatt type places (there is some crossover for the brand names of 3/4* hotels).

Hope that helps!

BK

I only tried it once. I got incredibly frustrated, as I was rejected on three different bids ona 4* or higher hotel. OK, that was fine, but when I went to increase my bid it told me I could no longer bid on hotels in that catagory in that geographic area. I started low but was willing to go MUCH higher, but it wouldn't allow me to. Gave up and booked something direct for a price I was happy with.

Anne

Originally posted by xplor144
the room door said it was a $300/night room......I know the doors never really reflect how much the room actually is)

From my understanding the price on the door is the MOST that room can rent for, not what it is typically rents for.

I've used Priceline for hotels and car rentals, and have never had a problem. I just don't bid very far ahead because of the no refunds policy.

I've always had great experiences with Priceline, but only because I studied the posts on this board and www.biddingfortravel.com , which has already been recommended several times. I've used it anywhere from 3 weeks to 5 months ahead of time, although I guess there will always be a lot of variation. If you are well-informed and know what you are doing, you should be fine. Good luck! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter