Anything and everything holiday ~ Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and more!

mommaU4

DIS Veteran
This thread originally started out as a Halloween celebration thread, with all things Halloween. But now, we are sticking around to chat about holidays in general. Feel free to join in and share ideas, recipes and pics!! :)

I soo agree that this is the BEST time of the year. :woohoo: I woke up this morning and announced that it was October!!! It is the best month of the year.. My Birthday, Anniversary and Halloween all are in October! I have my office decorated for Halloween (because my kitties terrorize all decorations at home) I used to decorate the outside of the house, but since we moved to the country nobody can see it.

I have done many of my own costumes and go for the more gory/gruesome stuff. I need to search my books for some pictures!!

My pumpkin carving skills are pretty good - but they usually involve a lot of blood and body parts when it's all finished (not mine, of course ;))

Do you know if there is a CCA group (Candy Corn Anonymous) I need to join a support group for my candy corn addiction..

I can't wait to see what other Halloween DISers are up to!

OK, here's a Halloween treat that my son likes to make... Ghost Strawberries!

100_5472-1.jpg

Dip the strawberries in white chocolate and place on wax paper-lined tray in fridge until set. Melt chocolate chips and pour into a small ziploc-type bag. Cut one of the corners off the bag (very small cut) so you can pipe a chocolate mouth onto the ghost. Use mini chocolate chips for the eyes. (I like the little pointy tops that lend themselves to making creepy, scary eyes. ;))

Isn't that Charlie Brown ghost on the far right in the middle the cutest! My son loves that show and came up with that one on his own. (He was a Charlie Brown ghost for Halloween last year and loved "having a little trouble with the scissors" as he prepared his sheet!)

I woke up this morning and announced that it was October!!! It is the best month of the year.. My Birthday, Anniversary and Halloween all are in October!

I have done many of my own costumes and go for the more gory/gruesome stuff. I need to search my books for some pictures!!

Do you know if there is a CCA group (Candy Corn Anonymous) I need to join a support group for my candy corn addiction..

I can't wait to see what other Halloween DISers are up to!
My birthday is this month too! October 24. When we changed the calendar this morning, one of the kids said to me, "It won't be long now before your birthday!"
I said, "Who cares about my birthday, I'm ready for Halloween!!"
Actually, I enjoy both. ;)

Definitely share your costume pics! I am always in awe of those who can make their own amazing costumes. :worship:

I hate to say this....but I am not a fan of candy corn. Blasphemy, I know. But I think it's just about the only Halloween treat I don't enjoy. Everything else is good. (have you seen the candy corn kisses?)
I am SUCH a sucker for anything in the stores that is Halloween.
Slap a pumpkin on a roll of paper towels, I'll buy it. Make the Oreo cookie filling orange, and I'm all over that. :rotfl:

I can't wait to hear about other DISers Halloween plans as well. It's fun to see their pics, and get ideas from them too.

OK, here's a Halloween treat that my son likes to make... Ghost Strawberries!
I love this! What a great idea. See, this is what I am talking about. Not too challenging, and fun for kids. Looks tasty too. I love strawberries. I think I might be stealing this idea.....:rolleyes1 Thanks for sharing.

And by the way, your son sounds too cute. :)

Off to a good start!!:thumbsup2

I just put a link over in the Halloween Superthread (with a plug!), but I may find a clever way to work the plug & link into my Intro post there as well, so anyone who is just tuning into that thread and starting on Page 1 will see the link to your thread too!!

I hope lots of people join in and share their photos and ideas!!:cool1::cool1:

I just put a link over in the Halloween Superthread (with a plug!), but I may find a clever way to work the plug & link into my Intro post there as well, so anyone who is just tuning into that thread and starting on Page 1 will see the link to your thread too!!

I hope lots of people join in and share their photos and ideas!!:cool1::cool1:
Aww, thanks Sherry!! I appreciate it.

Thought I'd post some of my favorite things to bake from Halloween past:

Creepy eyeballs
15540_166102474010_768979010_2827130_6431505_n.jpg

Spiderweb cake
10533_153464334010_768979010_2721075_7924693_n.jpg

Pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting
10229_154264469010_768979010_2729379_2457157_n.jpg

Pumpkin bread
10533_153464329010_768979010_2721074_5457881_n.jpg

Ghosts in the graveyard
10533_140179114010_768979010_2614620_3092127_n.jpg

Halloween cupcakes
10533_140179099010_768979010_2614618_5616483_n.jpg

Great Halloween prank, the kitty litter cake
10533_140179094010_768979010_2614617_4010716_n.jpg

hahaha my sister does the kitty litter cake every year for her class! (shes a teacher)
the kids LOVE it!

My birthday is this month too! October 24. When we changed the calendar this morning, one of the kids said to me, "It won't be long now before your birthday!"
I said, "Who cares about my birthday, I'm ready for Halloween!!"
Actually, I enjoy both. ;)

Definitely share your costume pics! I am always in awe of those who can make their own amazing costumes. :worship:

I hate to say this....but I am not a fan of candy corn. Blasphemy, I know. But I think it's just about the only Halloween treat I don't enjoy. Everything else is good. (have you seen the candy corn kisses?)
I am SUCH a sucker for anything in the stores that is Halloween.
Slap a pumpkin on a roll of paper towels, I'll buy it. Make the Oreo cookie filling orange, and I'm all over that. :rotfl:

I can't wait to hear about other DISers Halloween plans as well. It's fun to see their pics, and get ideas from them too.

:scared1: what no candy corn :confused:
I have never seen candy corn kisses - I have a new mission!!

My birthday is the 4th and my favorite color is Orange (hmm wonder why)

I too am a sucker for anything halloween! I have candy corn socks that are soo cute, but since it's usually cold nobody gets to see them..

I love all of the treat pics so far! Keep em coming!

I am off to MHTP tonight.. We (my kids and my sister) are going as the Incredibles.

OK Beth, now I'm really hungry for a yummy dessert !!!:lmao:
Wendy, have you tried choc. covered candy corn? They have it at Target and I can't stop eating it !!!
I love all things Halloween, baking, crafts, decorating.....
I'm going to ModPodge this picture on a piece of wood then paint the edges black. I've done a few of these before and they always turn out nice. I'll post the finished product.
disneyhalloween.jpg

hahaha my sister does the kitty litter cake every year for her class! (shes a teacher)
the kids LOVE it!
I bet they love it. I know my kids sure did. It's pretty disgusting, but so great for a Halloween party.

:scared1: what no candy corn :confused:

I am off to MHTP tonight.. We (my kids and my sister) are going as the Incredibles.
Our other Wendy, got them from Jen in her exchange package:
IMG_6150.jpg

I don't know how she liked them, but she's a huge candy corn fan too.

Have fun tonight!! Hope the weather cooperates. Take some pics to share. :)

I love all things Halloween, baking, crafts, decorating.....
I'm going to ModPodge this picture on a piece of wood then paint the edges black. I've done a few of these before and they always turn out nice. I'll post the finished product.
Ooooh, you're going to be our crafty poster! You should post a pic of the cake you made last year using the pan from Kelly. That was great.

Can't wait to see how your project turns out.

BOO!

Did I scare you :lmao:

Me too!! I've never seen it before, but I sure want to try it :thumbsup2

Have an awesome time at the MHTP tonight!

Wendy, have you tried choc. covered candy corn? They have it at Target and I can't stop eating it !!!

Chocolate covered candy corn?? Why have I never seen this before :confused3 Oh Lordie, no Target here......... Poop. Now I want chocolate covered candy corn AND Candy Corn Kisses...........

We don't do too much for Halloween around here because there are no trick-or-treaters here (too rural), but I like to see what everyone else has.

We do have lots of natural Halloween decorations though - look:

[
PICT0001.jpg

Creepy!

We don't do too much for Halloween around here because there are no trick-or-treaters here (too rural), but I like to see what everyone else has.

We do have lots of natural Halloween decorations though - look:

[
PICT0001.jpg

Creepy!
That web is awesome!! I love that pic.
But speaking of webs, we had a little too much "real Halloween" here today. Earlier we found a black widow spider in the kitchen!! :scared1: First time I have ever seen a real one. Guess that's part of living in the desert! Just no snakes or scorpions please!!!

I know what you mean about living in a rural area. Since moving to Vegas, it's the only time we get trick-or-treaters. After Ruben and I got married, we lived in a condo then an apartment, so no trick-or-treaters there. Then in MI we had a house, but no point in decorating or buying candy because we were way out in the boonies.
Now we are finally able to decorate and buy candy. I love it!! Although the candy can get pricey, usually around $60-$70.

Chocolate covered candy corn?? Why have I never seen this before :confused3 Oh Lordie, no Target here......... Poop. Now I want chocolate covered candy corn AND Candy Corn Kisses...........

[/QUOTE]

Ooooh, you're going to be our crafty poster! You should post a pic of the cake you made last year using the pan from Kelly. That was great.

Can't wait to see how your project turns out.

I can't find my cake picture, it's gone from Photobucket and it's gone from last years thread. Weird ! It's not even in my own pictures.:confused3
I checked the choc.candy corn bag and it's a Target thing.

Hey everyone!! Count me in on Halloween being my favorite holiday. Never really got the whole x-mas thing, I think b/c my b-day is 2 weeks before and when I was younger, the presents got grouped together and as a kid, that isn't cool! :goodvibes Depending on plans for the weekend, inside decorations are going up and Halloween movies will start being played. If I can't get to it this weekend then that will be my Monday night. Outside will begin next weekend though. Candy handouts are done, Rite-Aid had a big sale on the big bars so I stocked up!!

I'm another one who doesn't like candy corn. Used to when I was a kid, but now, not so much.

Love the kitty litter box cake. I've never seen that before. What's on top? Will definitely have to make that one!!

I can't find my cake picture, it's gone from Photobucket and it's gone from last years thread. Weird ! It's not even in my own pictures.:confused3
I checked the choc.candy corn bag and it's a Target thing.
Huh, that is strange. Well, time to make another. :rolleyes1 ;)

Hey everyone!! Count me in on Halloween being my favorite holiday. Never really got the whole x-mas thing, I think b/c my b-day is 2 weeks before and when I was younger, the presents got grouped together and as a kid, that isn't cool! :goodvibes Depending on plans for the weekend, inside decorations are going up and Halloween movies will start being played. If I can't get to it this weekend then that will be my Monday night. Outside will begin next weekend though. Candy handouts are done, Rite-Aid had a big sale on the big bars so I stocked up!!

I'm another one who doesn't like candy corn. Used to when I was a kid, but now, not so much.

Love the kitty litter box cake. I've never seen that before. What's on top? Will definitely have to make that one!!

Ugh, that is rough having a birthday so close to Christmas. My son's is Dec. 14 and even then he would sometimes get combined presents from relatives.
I enjoy Christmas, but to me it comes with a lot of pressure. Pressure to spend $$, to make the perfect dinner, to send out cards to people you haven't spoken to in ages, to find the perfect present, etc. Not that you HAVE to do those things, but the pressure is still there.

Halloween on the other hand is just all fun.....parties, candy, and costumes. Can't go wrong. :thumbsup2

I love Halloween movies, and have my Netflix instant view queue all filled with spooky favorites! But my rule is I can only watch them after dark. Scarier that way. lol

Take some pics of your decorations to share. We'd love to see them.

Oh, and here is the kitty litter cake recipe:

Ingredients
1 (18.25 ounce) package German chocolate cake mix
1 (18.25 ounce) package white cake mix
2 (3.5 ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding mix
1 (12 ounce) package vanilla sandwich cookies
3 drops green food coloring
1 (12 ounce) package tootsie rolls

Directions
1.Prepare cake mixes and bake according to package directions (any size pan).
2.Prepare pudding according to package directions and chill until ready to assemble.
3.Crumble sandwich cookies in small batches in a food processor, scraping often. Set aside all but 1/4 cup. To the 1/4 cup add a few drops of green food coloring and mix.
4.When cakes are cooled to room temperature, crumble them into a large bowl. Toss with 1/2 of the remaining cookie crumbs, and the chilled pudding. You probably won't need all of the pudding, you want the cake to be just moist, not soggy.
5.Line kitty litter box with the kitty litter liner. Put cake mixture into box.
6.Put half of the unwrapped tootsie rolls in a microwave safe dish and heat until softened. Shape the ends so that they are no longer blunt, and curve the tootsie rolls slightly. Bury tootsie rolls randomly in the cake and sprinkle with half of the remaining cookie crumbs. Sprinkle a small amount of the green colored cookie crumbs lightly over the top.
7.Heat 3 or 4 of the tootsie rolls in the microwave until almost melted. Scrape them on top of the cake and sprinkle lightly with some of the green cookie crumbs. Heat the remaining tootsie rolls until pliable and shape as before. Spread all but one randomly over top of cake mixture. Sprinkle with any remaining cookie crumbs. Hang the remaining tootsie roll over side of litter box and sprinkle with a few green cookie crumbs. Serve with the pooper scooper for a gross Halloween dessert.

Having the litter box and a scooper as a serving utensil makes it seem so real!

Thanks for starting this! I can't wait to see what everyone posts!
I did make a batch of pumpkin muffins today in honor of the season! (There were 12, now there are 5, and I haven't even had 1 yet!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter