AP first-timer... help?

snowybelle

Mouseketeer
So, I'm thinking of purchasing a WDW AP for the very first time. I have a 6-day trip coming up beginning this Sunday, another 2 days in the parks in January, and a 5 day trip planned for May. I have a 5-day hopper that I purchased for my upcoming trip and it is linked to MDE... could I simply remove it (and gift that hopper to a friend) and switch to AP? Will it screw up my reservations?

Other questions...

I know I'd have to pick up the physical AP in-person at a ticket window or guest relations. How much time does this typically take?

I have purchased Memory Maker for my upcoming trip. Since MM is included in the AP, is there anyway to get this $$ back or some kind of credit for it?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice. I never in a million years thought I'd become an AP holder, but the planets have aligned for me this year!

I think the best thing to do is call the ticket office. I am pretty sure they will transfer your tickets to your AP and you will pay the difference. They should be able to refund your memory maker too. Just explain to them that you want to upgrade your tickets.

If you are on a room ticket package they will need to explain that too. You won't lose your reservations.

As for picking up your AP it just depends on how long the lines are at the will call windows but you can also go to Disney springs to pick it up too if you are in late the night before

You should get all your money applied to the upgrade and they if you want buy and gift some tickets to a friend.

So, I'm thinking of purchasing a WDW AP for the very first time. I have a 6-day trip coming up beginning this Sunday, another 2 days in the parks in January, and a 5 day trip planned for May. I have a 5-day hopper that I purchased for my upcoming trip and it is linked to MDE...
1. could I simply remove it (and gift that hopper to a friend) and switch to AP? Will it screw up my reservations?

Other questions...

2. I know I'd have to pick up the physical AP in-person at a ticket window or guest relations. How much time does this typically take?

3. I have purchased Memory Maker for my upcoming trip. Since MM is included in the AP, is there anyway to get this $$ back or some kind of credit for it?

1. Wait until you are at WDW, then go to any ticket booth or Guest Relations and upgrade to an AP.
2. The time it takes is just a couple of minutes, but, depending on, well, EVERYTHING, there could be a "line." How long a line is unknown.
3. Many reports of that being done when upgrading to an AP.

We did the same thing last year, though Memory Maker wasn't part of the deal at the time. We had a 10 day Hopper that we turned into an AP (we too never thought we'd have APs and were SO excited to do it).

We went to City Hall in MK. The process for all 5 of us took about 30-45 minutes...for which they gave us 3 free FP+ for having to wait that long. It was fairly easy, and all of our FP+ reservations were moved successfully to our new AP. I know we ordered new magic bands for the AP online and they showed up a few weeks later. For the rest of the trip we were on at the time, we used the bands we already had.

We did get a refund for parking fees we had paid during that trip, so I'm not sure if you'd get a refund for Memory Maker...I'm guessing you would.

Piggybacking on OP's question...does anyone know what time Guest Relations is open until at the WS entrance to EP? We arrive at Beach Club around 9:45pm and need to activate our APs so we can use them early the next morning (have to pick up TIW also). If they aren't open past the time EP closes (9pm the night we arrive) we can just do it the next morning at HS.

Piggybacking on OP's question...does anyone know what time Guest Relations is open until at the WS entrance to EP? We arrive at Beach Club around 9:45pm and need to activate our APs so we can use them early the next morning (have to pick up TIW also). If they aren't open past the time EP closes (9pm the night we arrive) we can just do it the next morning at HS.
If it's a PM EMH night at Epcot, a booth will be open that late.
Otherwise, if Epcot closes at 9pm with IllumiNations, the booths will likely be closed by 9:15, or so.

If it's a PM EMH night at Epcot, a booth will be open that late.
Otherwise, if Epcot closes at 9pm with IllumiNations, the booths will likely be closed by 9:15, or so.

Thanks for the info!

I have another question regarding upgrading. My mom actually paid for our package with her credit card. If I wanted to upgrade my ticket along with refunding the Memory Maker, will that be a problem? I assume the Memory Maker will be refunded to her CC?

I have another question regarding upgrading. My mom actually paid for our package with her credit card. If I wanted to upgrade my ticket along with refunding the Memory Maker, will that be a problem? I assume the Memory Maker will be refunded to her CC?

An overage $$ "refund" MIGHT be issued on a Disney Gift Card.

OTOH, it might be a safer bet to take her CC with you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter