AP for Out-of-state

Tymeece

Memphis Mouse
I truly don’t understand why Disney World doesn’t offer out of state annual passes. I live 15 hours away. Mine unfortunately lapsed during covid. When I had my pass I would bring my family 2 to 5 times a year, I would sign up for runDisney events and attend by myself or with my wife, I would travel for AP previews of rides/areas, etc… Everytime I came I would spend money to stay, food, souvenirs, etc… It truly caused me to come because I had a pass and spend money. Now that I haven’t had a pass I dont come and spend money as often. Im coming every other year. I’m planning on coming in October and I’m going to Universal for the week with one day at MNSSHP. If I had my pass I would be at Disney. I feel like they should offer AP’s even cheaper for out-of-state guests to drive them to keep coming back but what do I know…I guess I’m just bitter and know if it ever comes back it probably will be 3grand and not even worth it. I hope everyone gets fed up with this pricing and Epic Universe crushes Disney just to get back to pre-pandemic things…

I truly don’t understand why Disney World doesn’t offer out of state annual passes. I live 15 hours away. Mine unfortunately lapsed during covid. When I had my pass I would bring my family 2 to 5 times a year, I would sign up for runDisney events and attend by myself or with my wife, I would travel for AP previews of rides/areas, etc… Everytime I came I would spend money to stay, food, souvenirs, etc… It truly caused me to come because I had a pass and spend money. Now that I haven’t had a pass I dont come and spend money as often. Im coming every other year. I’m planning on coming in October and I’m going to Universal for the week with one day at MNSSHP. If I had my pass I would be at Disney. I feel like they should offer AP’s even cheaper for out-of-state guests to drive them to keep coming back but what do I know…I guess I’m just bitter and know if it ever comes back it probably will be 3grand and not even worth it. I hope everyone gets fed up with this pricing and Epic Universe crushes Disney just to get back to pre-pandemic things…
I agree. Fortunately, I kept mine up during covid & my DS turned 3 so they let me buy one for him. But, I agree we spend a ton of money. We go almost every other month & stay onsite & eat in the parks & buy merch (usually seasonal stuff).

My guess is that the AP for we out-of-staters will come back next year and be priced at $2,000!

I remain quite surprised that Disney is remaining steadfast in not selling AP again. Thankfully DH and I kept ours so we are fine. Like you we are out of state and only had the one type to purchase (I don’t consider the add on for WP to be another type)
We have also had Universal AP for about as long. We like that they #1, offer all types of AP to all guests and #2, offer monthly payments to all guests. So we started with a lower tier pass on a monthly payment plan and have upgraded over the years, still pay monthly. Like spreading the cost out over the year.
I have seen many posts, and heard many real conversations, from guests who going to Universal because Disney wouldn’t sale AP and Universal would. One top of Disney requiring a reservation. Universal is making it easier. Right now I know Disney doesn’t care, their attendance numbers are up enough where they are happy but if they ever see the Universal numbers rise, either attendance or AP sales and learn it’s in direct relation from Disney’s policies would that change their minds?
Not to mention what will it change when Epic Universe opens? Though that’s several years away

The Wall Street Journal reported this recently:

"In fiscal 2021, the first year that both of Disney’s two main U.S. resorts had reopened following the worst of the coronavirus pandemic, attendance at Disney’s U.S. parks fell by 17% compared with the previous year, the company reported, but per-capita spending by guests grew by 17%, or nearly three times the average annual growth rate during the previous decade."

Disney fans may not like some of the moves the company has been doing, but they are being rewarded financially for those moves.

I speculate annual passes will return, but for now Disney wants to keep its park attendance manageable while making as much money as possible.

One thing to consider is what would have happened had Disney not shut off the annual pass spigot. With the pent-up demand for travel, thousands of more people would be in the parks, leading to complaints about crowding and lines. Or park reservations would have been unavailable, leading to angry annual pass holders and lawsuits.

People are still going without the Annual Passes.

Making more money selling day tickets.

But I do wish they come back and stay so we don't have to keep renewing every year. Just my thoughts.

I remain quite surprised that Disney is remaining steadfast in not selling AP again. Thankfully DH and I kept ours so
I have seen many posts, and heard many real conversations, from guests who going to Universal because Disney wouldn’t sale AP and Universal would. One top of Disney requiring a reservation. Universal is making it easier. Right now I know Disney doesn’t care, their attendance numbers are up enough where they are happy but if they ever see the Universal numbers rise, either attendance or AP sales and learn it’s in direct relation from Disney’s policies would that change their minds?
Not to mention what will it change when Epic Universe opens? Though that’s several years away
We are absolutely one of the families that had never been to USO but have now bought and renewed USO annual passes. I prefer Disney World, but when you go multiple times a year, the passes matter (at least to our family). Our last trip was split between the two with the fewest days at Disney :(

EPIC Universe will be an Orlando game changer. Add that Universal hotels are a much better value and there will likely be a couple new ones at Epic. Going to be interesting how Disney handles it because Disney Resort Hotel guests only account for a fraction of the guests in the parks. They need offsite guests and their base of AP has always been important in the past.

Last edited:
I can tell you why they are not offering AP’s…

Because they can fill the parks with higher priced tickets.

My guess is that the AP for we out-of-staters will come back next year and be priced at $2,000!
That might be too low!

I’m just on the edge of bailing and another price increase/reduction in benefits would be the push I need to finally break free and give up.

I have until April right now, but once my passes are gone, I’m gone.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter