April or May?

E.Jane

Mouseketeer
I'm contemplating changing my preliminary plans for a trip in Dec/03 to April or May instead. (I can't wait until Dec/03!!) Spring break for my kids is the first week of April - does anyone know what that might be like for crowds? I realize it's spring break through much of March and April, but just trying to get an idea. We've been twice before but always in January, which we enjoyed for "crowd management" but the weather sucked. We visited Wonderland in Toronto last August - we HATED the crowds. We felt like half our day was spend in lines. Would spring break at Disney be comperable or worse than Wonderland in August? Alternativey, has anyone visited the first week of May?

Also, I haven't a clue how to go about the hotel part of it. I'm assuming there will be some code available somewhere along the line, but if I go ahead and book now before the codes come out, am I stuck with that reservation? When are deposits due, and if I cancel, is there a charge? It's sort of the old "which comes first...chicken or the egg" for me. Book and wait for a code. Or wait for a code and book. Because the hotel I finally book will largely depend on the deal I can get. Would love to stay at the YC, but need a good deal like the ones released this fall, or a "Cdn at par".

Planning is supposed to be fun. I'm getting stressed already!!

hi E.Jane,
we have been once in mid to late april and once the 1st week in may. both trips were after most spring breaks and easter so crowds were moderate, not too busy at all. we loved the weather that time of the year, mid to high 80's with low humidity and very little rain, it only rained for one hour on one day for both trips!
in 2003 easter is late, the 3rd weekend in april so it will be far less crowded the first week of may. i have already booked and got a caa rate (they call it aaa) for april27-may10. the rates change from peak to regular rates starting on the 27th so are a lot cheaper. i got a caa rate this april too, but was able to call and use a code for an even cheaper rate when it got closer, so yes this is possible. you do have to pay for 1 night when you book but it is totally refundable if you cancel more than 5 days before your trip.
have fun planning
:D

kathe:D

Good Thursday Evening,

We have been both in April and in May. In April 2000 we went the first two weeks and it was absolutely gorgeous. It wasn't especially busy and the weather was fantastic. No rain, warm days and lovely evenings. It was our best trip for weather. We went this past May, again the first two weeks. It wasn't very busy this time either, but man was it hot. There were a few days where it was 98 degrees and very humid. We didn't see any parades because that beating sun along with the heat was too much for me and my six month old. It didn't rain that much. We still had a great time but if you mind the heat I'd go in April. Here's hoping to catch all of the parades in December when hopefully it will be a lovely 80 degrees.

Easter is around April 20th next year. You won't want to be there the week before or the week after. I would probably wait until the 27th when the rates go down. There will be smaller crowds, but I imagine the park hours will be a lot shorter than Easter week. I'm not sure how the first week of April would be. We have gone several times in March (Ontario March break) and it was busy, but manageable, and the weather was usually very pleasant. I would go ahead and book a hotel now. Your deposit will be due in about 3 weeks. The codes for that time period won't be out for a long time, and there is no problem changing your reservation. Happy planning!:)

We'll be in Florida from March 14th until April 4th and I hope the weather and the crowds are good!;)

We've been down the last part of April and the first part of May a couple of years ago and we found that into the first 2 weeks of May the humidity really crept up and we were actually glad to be going home, as it was getting to be too much but I hope this next trip will be just right!:p

APRIL! APRIL! APRIL! APRIL! APRIL! APRIL! APRIL!

Can anyone tell me what kind of room rates you are getting for the end of April/beginning of May?
We are also planning a 10 day stay at the BC and no one in our local office has been able to give me anything but rack rates so far.
How about air fares to Orlando from Toronto?
Any help is appreciated.
I'd like to book soon-if a different discount comes out-will CAA rebook the trip and get the new rate applied?

Two or three weeks after Easter, the rates go down to regular season. S

Sorry I can't help you with the room rates mom_rules as we are staying at a timeshare resort (Cypress Pointe) and after seeing the flight costs when travelling out of Toronto, we're thinking of trying Southwest Airlines out of Buffalo. You can save a small fortune by booking with them online. Here's the website if you'd like to take a look around:

http://www.southwestairlines.com/

I know there a quite a few DIS'ers that have left from Buffalo.:)

Good luck with your planning!:wave:

Last year, Disney offered an "Canadian at par" for spring break, March through end of April I believe. Of course, there's no guarantee it will be offered again in 2003. Rates drop around April 27 to "value" I think. You can try www.mousesavers.com - they have all the current rates, and historical information about codes that have been offered over the last couple of years.

When we went this past May we were able to get Dixie for $99 a night and WL for $139 a night with an Annual Pass code. I can't recall if they had an AP rate for the BC. If you're going for 10 days an AP may be worth it to get a discount on your room.

For this December trip we were able to get the Poly for $164 with our AP rate.

I can't help with flights because we always drive down.

Have a great day!!

hi Mom_Rules,
i have a caa rate (you have to ask for the aaa rate when you call) that is 15% off rack rate for csr for apr-may 2003. you don't make the ressie through caa, you need to call wdw yourself and book directly. if a code comes out that is better, i will call and have the rate changed. i did the same thing this spring and it worked out great. hope this helps.

kathe:D

Many thanks. You guys are great!!! Please keep responses
coming.
If you get a better rate code and want to change yours, do you get a penalty or anything?
Would you try to book now for April/May or wait a while longer.
(They are telling me to wait until Jan)

If you're anything like me you should go ahead and book your rooms now. That way you know what the worst case price scenario is already. You'll have to put down one night's deposit within a few weeks of making the reservation.

Then, you do nothing until the codes come out next year. Once you have a code, call and make a new reservation at the cheaper rate. Again, you'll have to put one night's deposit on the second reservation. However, then you can cancel the first one without any penalty providing you do it within five days of your arrival date. Be sure that you are booking a Central Reservation room and not a Walt Disney travel package. The deposit is less but the cancellation policy is much worse.
When I'm changing my reservations like this I just put the deposit on the same credit card that I put the original reservation on and hopefully the charge and the credit should be on the same month's statement.

Hope this helps.

I just wanted to add that last year the beginning of May WAS exceptionally hotter than normal and may be again this year, time will tell. But I have been many times in October and in 1999 we had 3 days (Oct. 10-17) in a row of 94 degree's. It was like summer! So it can happen anytime in the fall and spring. As far as crowds go, as others have said, April 27, 2003 begins "Regular Season" and Resort rates should drop. Any time before school lets out (towards the end of May) should be good.

RobinLyn:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter