Are any WDW resort pools CHILLED?

tuckerkeys

official cookie taster
Just wondering, since disney reports to having their pools at a constant 82 degrees all year, how do they obtain this when the weather is too hot? I have been to a few resorts in the FL Keys where they chill the pool in the summer months, so I am curious is Disney does the same at any of the resorts? Most pool heaters for commercial size usually come with chillers....If pools really are over 100 degrees, this would be a huge sanitation issue as they'd literally be flying through chemicals

Interesting question.
Fla is definitely hot this summer. 100+ each day for weeks.
I don't think they had or have a plan.
"maybe' throw ice in pools ??
The pool chemicals should kill any bacteria.

I would doubt the pools are chilled. It would be very hard for an in ground pool to reach 100 or anything near that being the below ground temperature is much cooler than surface and the temps in Florida are usually in the low mid 90s at the hottest times of the year and day also much cooler at night. The feels like temp is irrelevant. An above ground pool or indoor pool can get rather warm however. I have however noticed the main pool at GF and the DVC pool at WL are saltwater which greatly reduces the need for chemical. I am sure other pools are now saltwater as well.

Just wondering, since disney reports to having their pools at a constant 82 degrees all year, how do they obtain this when the weather is too hot? I have been to a few resorts in the FL Keys where they chill the pool in the summer months, so I am curious is Disney does the same at any of the resorts? Most pool heaters for commercial size usually come with chillers....If pools really are over 100 degrees, this would be a huge sanitation issue as they'd literally be flying through chemicals
We just swam last week at POFQ and the water felt great. It didn't reek of any chemicals and temp wise was very comfortable, it didn't feel cold/chilly and not too warm. We have a small pool at our clubhouse and by July/Aug it's usually not refreshing at all, whereas the pool at POFQ felt refreshing. Whatever they do, it felt great.

I would doubt the pools are chilled. It would be very hard for an in ground pool to reach 100 or anything near that being the below ground temperature is much cooler than surface and the temps in Florida are usually in the low mid 90s at the hottest times of the year and day also much cooler at night. The feels like temp is irrelevant. An above ground pool or indoor pool can get rather warm however. I have however noticed the main pool at GF and the DVC pool at WL are saltwater which greatly reduces the need for chemical. I am sure other pools are now saltwater as well.
Yes. The original question is base don faulty assumptions. Pool temp tends to stabilize at the ambient average temp over 2 to 3 days. Ambient avg temp not only includes the temp from the ground below (which is cooler than the air in summer) but it also includes the overnight temps. So unless its well over a hundred twenty four hours a day, the pools aren't reaching any kind of dangerous temperature.

That said, even though the pool is cooler than the air, you can still get heat stroke or dehydrated while in the pool if its really hot outside. so be aware of that and act accordingly

They don't keep them at that temperature year round, they HEAT them to that temperature year round.

In summer, the pools are definitely warmer than 82, especially the quiet pools.

All pools experience evaporation though, and so there is a constant influx of new water to replace what has been lost. That new water is the same temperature as what comes out of the taps, so it likely serves to cool down the pool somewhat.

Pools do not get anywhere near 100, when I lived in Florida during the summer I think the most I ever saw was 85 and that was definitely not a sustained 85.

All pools experience evaporation though, and so there is a constant influx of new water to replace what has been lost. That new water is the same temperature as what comes out of the taps, so it likely serves to cool down the pool somewhat.
I figured this played a part too, plus the underground temps being around 55f or something like that. And in summer when WDW pools get the most crowded, alot of water gets displaced between the tonnage of people and activity.

Pools do not get anywhere near 100, when I lived in Florida during the summer I think the most I ever saw was 85 and that was definitely not a sustained 85.

Sometimes pools do get that hot. Have you ever been to Cancun in July? The pools feel like hot tubs.

I don't think this happens in FL because there is enough rain and cloud cover to prevent the pools from heating up to that level. Although isn’t the ocean surface temperature in some parts of Florida in the mid 90s right now? Especially near the Keys?

Although isn’t the ocean surface temperature in some parts of Florida in the mid 90s right now?
We’ve been to the Tampa-Clearwater area late summer many times over the decades. Often the gulf would be way too warm. We’d feel ourself sweating just standing in water up to our neck lol. Not refreshing - I can just imagine it’s worse now.

I live in Buffalo. We had one week of highs around 95 last year. Our in-ground pool got to 91, with no heater. Why would Florida be cooler?

The OCEAN temperature in the Florida Keys reached 101 degrees this year. So I think this year is different.

Sometimes pools do get that hot. Have you ever been to Cancun in July? The pools feel like hot tubs.

I don't think this happens in FL because there is enough rain and cloud cover to prevent the pools from heating up to that level. Although isn’t the ocean surface temperature in some parts of Florida in the mid 90s right now? Especially near the Keys

I know nothing about pools in Cancun nor ocean temperatures, the question was about Disney pools. What I do know is that I had a pool in Orlando for 6 years and never was it anywhere near 90 never mind 100. Daily rainfall cools pools down along with much cooler overnight temperatures.

I live in Buffalo. We had one week of highs around 95 last year. Our in-ground pool got to 91, with no heater. Why would Florida be cooler?

The OCEAN temperature in the Florida Keys reached 101 degrees this year. So I think this year is different.
I also live in the northeast with a pool and we just had 2 weeks of 90+ degree temps and my pool made it to about 82 so maybe your pool is above a heat spring 🤣 🤣 .

I think this is a big piece of what people are misunderstanding about climate change.

If you take a blowtorch to an air filled balloon it pops. It doesn’t pop easily when the balloon is filled with water. Water can absorb alot of temperature. Air does not behave like that. The heated water expands and our planet has ocean driven climates.

I’m not climatologist and don’t thoroughly understand these things but when >95% of climatologists have been trying to raise the alarm, we should try to see why they’re waving their arms screaming.

I took at morning swim once at FW. I don't know if WDW intentionally chilled the water, but Hoo Boy, it was refreshing when I jumped in! Perhaps an early morning dip is what you need?

It was 110+ degrees for the entire month of July here in Phoenix and our backyard pool still didn't get much above 90 degrees. And the community and hotel pools never get quite as warm, probably because they are bigger/deeper and have more constant water circulation.

The pool does still feel a little warm, but it's always much cooler than the air.

I live close to the parks and have an in ground pool in my back yard. Right now (about 8 pm) the pool is at 85 degrees. Today was a hot one with the temperatures in the upper 90's.

I also live in the northeast with a pool and we just had 2 weeks of 90+ degree temps and my pool made it to about 82 so maybe your pool is above a heat spring 🤣 🤣 .
THIS year my pool only made it to 82 as well. But we've only had two 90+ degree days back in June. The rest of the days have been 75-85, and not as sunny.

Last year was an anomaly. We rarely get a week of 90+ in Buffalo.

Maybe humidity has something to do with it as well. Not sure why last year was the only year our pool has ever been above 85.

We stayed at Bay Lake Tower second week of June. To us, the pool at BLT was uncomfortably warm, to the point of not being refreshing. We preferred swimming over at the Contemporary, where the pool was still warm, but better than BLT. I assumed that was because the Contemporary pool is so much bigger.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter