• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Are the express passes worth it?

DisneyBliss7

''Ohana means family''
You all were so helpful in my other post yesterday, thank you!

I did some research on the onsite resorts and park tickets. I'm trying to do this as cheap as possible since we are already on a vacation in SC at the same time we are visiting Universal. Are the express tickets really worth the price? We are not going to stay at an onsite deluxe resort, it's just over our budget. Since we are only doing two parks in two days do you think we'll be fine not getting the express passes? Is this their only option for reducing time spent in the lines? Do they have something similar to the Disney fast passes that don't cost extra money? We will be at the parks August 6th and 7th 2018...Not sure what the crowds are like that time of year.

Did you work out the math on the passes vs the room (which includes the passes)? What's the cost difference?
No fast pass like system. Single rider lines are available but you have to be willing to get split up from your group.
It will be crowded and the passes would be good to have. But, you know your budget. Last year we went to Cedar Point and I just didn't have the budget for their version of express passes. Luckily it wound up not being very crowded and there were only a few long lines. Sure, it'd have been lovely to have no waits but that just wasn't realistic for us.

You all were so helpful in my other post yesterday, thank you!

Hi :goodvibesI did some research on the onsite resorts and park tickets. I'm trying to do this as cheap as possible since we are already on a vacation in SC at the same time we are visiting Universal. Are the express tickets really worth the price? We are not going to stay at an onsite deluxe resort, it's just over our budget. Since we are only doing two parks in two days do you think we'll be fine not getting the express passes? Is this their only option for reducing time spent in the lines? Do they have something similar to the Disney fast passes that don't cost extra money? We will be at the parks August 6th and 7th 2018...Not sure what the crowds are like that time of year.

Hi I have been that week several times and have found it to be quite busy. I have always stayed at one of the deluxe to get the EP up to this year. We decided on Cabana Bay because everyone liked it and it is close to Volcano bay where will will spend some time. What we are doing is going to IOA/Studios for two days and opted to get a room at Royal Pacific for one night. This will give us the EP for the check in day and check out day. I did price it without staying there and it is at least $60.00 more to buy them for a family of four then staying on-site.

It really depends on if you think you will want to do all of the rides. A lot of them get long lines and it could be hard, especially Harry Potter stuff. If you are going for only a few rides in each park you could probably get away with out buying them. The rumor is that Harry Potter rides will now be included with EP so that is really good. My family rides just about everything and I couldn't do the parks in the summer without it.

Good luck:thumbsup2

Did you work out the math on the passes vs the room (which includes the passes)? What's the cost difference?
No fast pass like system. Single rider lines are available but you have to be willing to get split up from your group.
It will be crowded and the passes would be good to have. But, you know your budget. Last year we went to Cedar Point and I just didn't have the budget for their version of express passes. Luckily it wound up not being very crowded and there were only a few long lines. Sure, it'd have been lovely to have no waits but that just wasn't realistic for us.
Yes, it would be similar prices if we were staying on site and or buying the passes separate. But renting a villa off site for a night and purchasing only the two day park tickets saves us a ton of money! Do they ever run any deals?

there are 2 version of Express passes

Single, which is one visit to each ride, each day
Unlimited, which is unlimited number of visits to each ride, each day

unlimited is what you get at the 3 deluxe hotels.

it's usually cheaper to get a room than to buy unlimited express for 2 days
one night stay gets you 2 days of express (from check in to end of checkout day, so the sooner you check in, the sooner you get the perks, even at 6:30am)

although, if there are 7 of you, as per your signature, it may get complicated for the hotel room

Yes, it would be similar prices if we were staying on site and or buying the passes separate. But renting a villa off site for a night and purchasing only the two day park tickets saves us a ton of money! Do they ever run any deals?

They don't run deals on EP or tickets. Hotels for example for Royal Pacific for my one night first week of August I am paying $349.00 for a standard room. That will give me up to 4 people in the room with all 4 getting EP for two days.

I don't know if this helps but my family of 4 did Islands & Universal all in ONE day with the unlimited express pass from the resort. We did everything we wanted and went on several rides multiple times. We went in June of this year.

I don't think I'd spend the money on EP, but I will spend 400 a night for a on site hotel that includes EP. Seems like I'm getting so much more for my money. That said I don't think we have been to US with out EP in a dozen years.

It just depends on what you want to do while there. People can skip a lot of waiting by being flexible and working the app, seeing what rides have little wait time.

Just start the first day without the EP (if that's what you want to do) and if it is a busy day just buy EPs for the second day. Case closed.

Get the hotel room that gives you 2 days of express passes. If you get the seasonal pass, it will give you a discount on the hotel room that will more than justify the additional cost of the seasonal pass. We were there last week and LOVED the Express Pass. Walked onto most rides and got to ride more than once. The Mummy line was 75 minutes, and we waited about 10 min. That was the longest wait. We paid $250 for a night at Portofino with discount and got 4 express passes for 2 days. The passes were valued at $115 per person per day. That would have cost us $920 regular price!

Agree with many of the PP's. We stay at RPR and love the hotel and the perk of the EP. SO worth it to us... We go in August every year... I wouldn't want to stand out in the heat waiting in line for hours ( we did it the first couple years.. Never again!!) we ride soooo much with the EP

We stayed at RPR in February and absolutely loved the express pass (and of course the resort!), and now with the Harry Potter rides having express pass it is even more valuable to have this.

Does anyone know if the Harry Potter rides started the Express Passes as I read was rumored to start July 1? How much are the add-on fee for the express passes for a day? We are going for 3 days with 2 parks. We are not staying on sight because using points for free hotel.

Thanks!

Several people on here have posted that the HP rides all have Express Pass lines now. :)

Since we are only doing two parks in two days do you think we'll be fine not getting the express passes?

That's exactly the sort of whirlwind trip that begs for express passes.

we are already on a vacation in SC at the same time we are visiting Universal

Wait, you'll be in South Carolina? And you're driving all the way to universal? I've done some weird vacations but I'm not sure I would do that.

If you get the seasonal pass, it will give you a discount on the hotel room that will more than justify the additional cost of the seasonal pass.

It *might* give you a discount. Season pass qualifies for room discounts, but room discounts are NOT always available.

If getting an ap for discount reasons, make sure there's a discount *and book it with the discount*, before buying that ap!

for me, i stay at a deluxe and enjoy the unlimited ep
well worth it for the way i do my vacations

since my stays are longer than some guests, i don't do the parks from open to close.
i could start my day at noon when crowds are in the parks and not deal with long waits.
if you have a family of 5 staying at a deluxe, well worth the money when you consider the free ep

YES!! since they now are accepted on all Harry Potter rides! do your math and maybe staying at the resort will work

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter